Introducing myself

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Introducing myself

Postby JennyF » Aug 27, 2004 4:09 am

Hi, I've posted on the old message board a few times but never formally introduced myself and thought now would be a good time. My name is Jenny, I'm 32 years old and I am a 2 time HG survivor. Unfortunately I miscarried both times and found out after my 2nd miscarriage that I have a chromosome mutation called MTHFRenzyme, which basically means my blood, when pregnant, clots and cuts off the blood supply to the baby. I wish I had known that after the 1st miscarriage, because the mutation can be treated by taking baby aspirin prior to and during the pregnancy. So there is hope that my next pregnancy won't terminate, unfortunately I have to go through HG again. Maybe I'll get lucky and have twins! :)

In 2000, during my first pregnancy, HG hit at about 6-7 weeks, and it hit hard! I was admitted to the hospital for 2 days for dehydration on my very 1st office visit at my OB and had lost about 10lbs in a week. My OB diagnosed me with HG but didn't go into detail about what HG was and my husband and I didn't ask, we just thought it was a fancy word for morning sickness. After I was released from the hospital I of course became dehydrated again within a day or two, I was throwing up up to 7x a day and keeping nothing down, my OB quickly got me setup on Homecare and IV fluids. My OB tried all the usual HG drugs on me...first we tried Phenergen, which stopped working after about 2 wks, then Compazine and Reglan, both which I had an allergic reaction to, and then Zofran which didn't seem to work but was the only drug I wasn't allergic to. Towards the end we even tried steroids but I don't really know if they helped because I miscarried at 12wks. I lost a total of 20 lbs and was off work for 2 months on short term disability. I still didn't understand what HG really was and had high hopes that my next pregnancy would be "normal".

We put off trying again until 2004, after we finished building our house and a trip to Italy that fell through. I found out I was pregnant early Feb 04 and HG hit me at about 4-5 wks, and even harder this time. I immediately went to the Dr. as soon as I started vomiting and couldn't keep anything down....my old OB had retired, so I had decided to give the local Health Center a try and was scheduled to see one of the MD's. I tried explaining to them that I was severly sick last time and needed some sort of anti-nausea drug to help with the vomiting, but the Dr. I saw just told me to try B6 and ginger and the usual....eat some crackers before getting out of bed, blah, blah, blah. I went home frustrated and on the verge of tears.

Over the next few days I continued to vomit and still kept nothing down. My husband finally rushed me back to the health center, and they finally took me seriously when they weighed me and saw that I had lost 10 lbs since my last visit. They tried giving me an IV but my veins were too dehydrated and they ended up referring me to my old OB's replacement, who thankfully had an opening that very morning. She was able to give me an IV in her office and get me some fluids and made an appt. to see me on Monday and sent me home with some Phenergan. By Monday I was dehydrated again and had lost more weight....she admitted me to the hospital on Valentines day for 2 1/2 days, the only thing I was able to keep down was jello.

I was released from the hospital but was back again in 2 days, dehydrated and vomiting up to 7x a day...I was on a downward spiral. They gave me Zofran which helped with the vomiting a bit (only 3-4x a day), but did not help me keep food or liquids down. My OB wanted me to try a feeding tube, which I agreed to try, but after having it in only 30 mins and feeling the tube come up every time I threw up I had them remove it and opted to try the PICC line instead. The PICC line went in beautifully and they started me up on TPN, at this point I wasn't even trying to eat anything and still vomiting 3-4x a day. I was released into Homecare on day 8 at 8pm and decided to go home without Zofran because I didn't think it was making a difference. BIG MISTAKE! That night I threw up 4x, and the next morning from 8am - 7pm before my husband rushed me back to the hospital, I threw up a total of 16x and it was increasing from every hr, 40 mins, 30 mins, etc. As soon as they got me on Zofran my vomiting subsided. I was in the hospital another 10 days until I miscarried at 7 wks. My hospital stay came out to around $60k, thank god for health insurance!

Both pregnancies, my husband was a rock, he was there for me 110%. I couldn't imagine doing it without him and not having any support. In fact he was the one to find this site during HG the second time. Both times with HG I couldn't keep anything down, lost up to 20 lbs, was off work for 1-2 months and was so weak. It drains you physically and emotionally and is so misunderstood by so many. I am so thankful for this site and to know that I am not alone. I dread going through HG again but really, really want to have a child, so we will try again early next year after I enjoy the holidays. I just want to say to all of us who have gone through or are currently going through HG that you are STRONG! Do not let anyone tell you differently!

Jenny
Last edited by JennyF on Aug 27, 2004 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JennyF

Postby Chedasha » Aug 27, 2004 4:24 am

HI Jenny

Its great to see you here. Im so sorry for all you have been through.

I wish you all the lucki the world with your next pregnancy.

The many great ladies here will help you with all you need to know and empathise with the struggle that is HG>

Kat
DD Estella Dawn 06/06/2011
Chedasha
Welcomed Friend

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am

Welcome Jenny,
Your story has many similarities to most of ours and isn't it nice to know that we're not alone? I wish you much luck in your future pregnancy and hope that the asprin does the trick for that chromosome mutation.

I'm finished having children at 26 years old because of HG and will have to undergo a partial hysterectomy next week to remove my uterus because of some damage that was done to it during the last delivery. I am so thankful for my girls though and although HG was a horrible time in my life, I feel blessed to have been able to have children. I think all of us feel that way in hindsight!

Once again, best wishes and it's nice to meet you!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 27, 2004 1:03 pm

Welcome, Jenny; thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry about the loss of your pregnancies. I miscarried at 12 weeks after HG, too, and I also had no clue about what HG really was or how sick I had really been or would get again. Knowledge is power, and I hope you get lots of great information here to make your next pregnancy much easier and happier. You've got a great support network, and that can make all the difference. Just let me know when you need a buddy for yourself! :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby HGx3 » Aug 30, 2004 3:04 pm

Hi Jenny! Welcome. I am glad you are posting here. We will get you thru your next pg because things ARE going to work out for you next time!!!!!!!
Nice to meet you!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to New to the Forums