now on steroids !

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

now on steroids !

Postby tinkerbell » Aug 25, 2004 5:14 am

hi
thanks for all the support but after vomitting every hour yesterday i started taking steroids. i know there is a risk but if i dont take them the more likely i am to loose this baby . i feel alot better today and am eating crackers and drinking. so far the nausea has reduced so i am praying the steroids will continue to work .
i will be 7 wks tommorow . i dont have the energy to cope this time and i cant cope with a drip and sleeping the days away ,with the only thing i do is vomit in between.
i am praying all will be well but i also have to think of the 2 great kids i have . they were crying asking why i was so sick all the time.
sorry to be such a baby about it all but i feel i can only cope with sso much . i need to rest but i also need to function ,even if it is giving instructions and lying on the couch.
thanks for listening
in complete shock! now started hg pregnancy number 3
tinkerbell

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 27, 2004 1:04 am

I'm happy that you're getting some relief with the steroids. We all run risks by getting treatment for HG, but NOT getting treated is far riskier. I always said I'd take a happy, live baby with a cleft palate over my own funeral with my baby still inside me. New studies are showing that steroids are safer than previously thought in the first trimester; you do what you have to do!

Are you on any fluids? You can still get dehydrated if you're not able to drink, so be sure to keep on top of the situation. Like everything else, the steroids need a well hydrated body to work their best. Let us know how things progress for you. Best wishes!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby jjbeck » Sep 10, 2004 12:30 am

Hi there. Sorry you are having to deal with HG. I had to take steroids too. I felt guilty for a while for taking them....but really it is ok. You dont need to feel bad. As Pamala said, we all take risks taking any meds while pg. For me I chose steroids over a PICC line which is what I had to do the last time. IMO from all I know now it was a safer choice for me.
What course are you on? Many woman relapse if weaned to soon. I was on it for four wks I think...and avoided the rapid taper. This helped.
Hope you feel better soon.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby MamaLily » Sep 11, 2004 11:20 pm

Tinkerbell -

Oh, I'm so glad that the steroids are giving you some relief! Please don't give yourself any guilt over taking them...your health and the health of your tiny baby are so fragile and if steroids help you, then that is Wonderful! Just like Pamela said, my great OB (who knows a lot about HG) told me that they are giving steroids earlier in pregnancy with good results. He said he'd consider starting me w/steroids early in pregnancy, if necessary. It sounds like they are really the best option for you! You've been through enough...please don't feel guilty about taking care of yourself and your family!

I agree with Jen - if you need to stay on the steroids for a little while, then be sure to do so. I was on steroids for over 2 months. I tried to wean earlier, but my body just wasn't ready. So, take it easy and enjoy eating some of those crackers! :wink:

Please keep us posted on how you are doing...I hope things continue to improve for you!

Big HUGS,
Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to New to the Forums