I'm a new member ! Am 21 weeks and have HG

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I'm a new member ! Am 21 weeks and have HG

Postby Andy » Aug 24, 2004 12:33 pm

I am currently going through the nightmare with HG.
I spent a week in hospital on a drip due to dehydration and although medication is preventing me from being sick now I constantly feel absolutely exhausted alll the time.
I am on Cyclizine and have been told that I will probably have to take it throughout the whole pregnancy. I have tried not taking the tablets but within hours I am being sick again.
I have not been to work since I was 6 weeks pregnant and am now at 21 weeks.
Everybody thinks that this is just morning sickness and even my pregnant friends can't understand how they can manage to go to work and look after their other children yet I cannot even look after myself properly and have no dependants.
I am made to feel very guilty.
I am extremely lucky to have a wonderfully supportive fiance and family but am made to feel a fraud to work colleagues.
Andy

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 24, 2004 1:24 pm

You are not alone. My coworkers didn't understand either - when I had it the last time. It is NOT in your head. You AREN'T making it up. It is nearly impossible to make people who've never experienced it understand how miserable it is. I'm sorry you're feeling lousy. I will guarantee you one thing - the reward at the end of all this will be so worth it! Stick around. There are many wonderful, supportive women here.

Do you have a supportive doctor? Please be sure to advocate strongly for yourself, if you can.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby Andy » Aug 24, 2004 2:29 pm

Blue Eeyore,
Thanks for your reply.
I tend to get my support from my Midwife who has been very understanding. Unfortunately whenever I go to the Doctors I tend to see a different one every time so there is a lack of continuity and understanding, but I have to go to the Doctors if I want a repeat prescription of my medication or an extension to my sick leave.
When I was in hospital the staff were lovely and understood the condition, it was at this point that I was told the name that went with the condition.
I am lucky that in my job that I get paid full pay whilst off sick, up to six months.
At 29 weeks if I am still off sick then my work can start my maternity pay, which I get full pay for 3 months.
This has eased concerns financially, but I still feel guilty about being off.
I feel really sorry for families who have the added worries financially if the HG sufferer can't work but cannot afford not to.
Andy

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 27, 2004 1:17 am

Hi, Andy. Congratulations on the pregnancy! You've found a super place for support; as you've discovered, outsiders tend to be a wee bit skeptical about HG. You have two options: fill them up with numbers and statistics (vomits, IV starts, pills per day; HG vs. morning sickness, illness stats) until their heads spin and they realize that no one would really WANT to be deathly ill like this, or just quietly say you're happy for them that they DON'T understand and leave it at that. It all depends on your tolerance level and how annoyed you're feeling at the moment, really. No matter what you do, there will always be friends and family and complete strangers who do not differentiate between HG and simple morning sickness. :roll:

One quick thought on meds--it's best to adhere to a schedule with dosing. It's tempting to think that we're better and not needing the meds, but in reality our bodies have just struck a delicate balance with HG, and by taking away the meds you've broken the balance. Stay on a strict dosing schedule, and wean slowly to avoid sliding back. Good luck to you; I hope you're soon feeling better.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 27, 2004 9:08 am

Andy,
My heart goes out to you. With my first pregnancy, I had to miss so much work too and I managed an accounting department (I WAS the accounting department!!!) It was such a stressful time for me never knowing when I'd be in the hospital again and how long we could survive without my paycheck to help. My employer paid me to work from home when I could but in between hospital visits, I had to hire and train someone to take over some of the responsibilities of the department. I remember countless times laying in the hospital bed and training someone over the phone. I suppose my point is, YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! All of that was a nightmare when I was going through it, but now it seems forever ago in the past. I'm now a mom to two beautiful girls and am a student (working towards a degree in Nursing) and a stay at home mom. My old employer (which lives in another state) always tells me that I have a job with them whenever I want one. People will understand eventually as soon as HG gains more awareness. I am baffled by how many actually do suffer because I always felt like I was the only one and that maybe in some weird way, I was making myself that sick. It's nice to know that it IS a REAL condition and that we're not crazy!
I'm sending you my thoughts and best wishes and hope that the remainder of your pregnancy is smooth! I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums