I'm so scared!!!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I'm so scared!!!

Postby sherry1969 » Aug 23, 2004 9:46 am

I came by this website by accident. I am 9 weeks pregnant and I just got out of the hospital for dehydration. Like many others, I didn't even know "this" had a name. I thought I was going crazy because everyone kept telling me it just morning sickness and thinking what is wrong with me , this isn't normal. I've been forcing myself to be active because I thought my body is getting to weak. I have a 5 year old that needs me right now and I cry all the time because I can't do anything for him because all my time has been spent in the bathroom leaning over a toilet! I never had this with my 5 year old. It has really scared me. I feel that nobody believes me and think that i'm overreacting! I actually email my boss this website so he could have a more understanding of what I'm going through and that I wasn't just playing sick so I didn't have to go to work. I am so glad that I am not alone. (even though I wish this upon no one!!!!) I just can't stop crying because of the fear. My fear for my baby, for myself and the mom that my 5 year old needs. My husband has been great! He tells me he feels bad for not able to make me better. He has to do everything himself -he's tired as well. I just don't know what to do...it's almost like I start to panic because I have no control over this! I eat phenegan?? like candy and the thought of food ...well, I won't even go there. I feel so alone and so scared!!!! I just don't know what to do!!!
sherry1969

Postby nomore » Aug 23, 2004 10:00 am

Sherry,

Welcome to the board. I am so sorry you are suffering. I know how alone you feel, but you are not alone, we are all here for your support.

Are you taking any types of meds to help treat? There are more options out there besides phenergan. Zofran is is good place to start. You can even work out a plan where you make them into a "coctail". Also, there are things like b6 and unisom. I know its scary to think of all these meds, but if they are going to keep you less sick, they are going to help you and your unborn baby.

I know its easy to cry when you are so overwhelmed, but this is probably making you even sicker. Stress and depression tend to make HG worse. I dont really have a answer for treatment of this, but maybe you can talk to your DR about your feelings.

Make sure your hydrated and medicaticed correctly and these can make a difference.

HuGS,

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 23, 2004 3:05 pm

Sherry -

You are not alone. I happend into this site as well! I have never seen so may supportive women going through what I thouht was an isolated case! Your Boss sounds like mine. Let us know what meds you areo n and what you are feeling. I cry a lot too! I am also trying to cut back on my activity. Easier said than done! You are not alone and trust if you post something. Someone Somewhere will be here to listen and give you a hug! I wish I could say I am almost through this but I can not see the light! I am 10 weeks today going on 5 weeks with this! The nurse is on her way to show me how to use the pump!

Let us know how you are feeling! Keep your chin up! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 23, 2004 7:57 pm

Welcome, Sherry. You know now that you absolutely are not alone, that many others are going through it right now with you. You're right at the worst stretch; most women see a peak from 10-14 weeks. Are you on any meds? There are many options for treatment, and the more you can research, the better you'll be able to advocate for yourself. Set your husband to work looking into different antiemetics and administration techniques--good treatment makes a huge difference. HG is emotionally overwhelming, but when I got to the point where all I could do was cry (even crying without tears), I knew I was dehydrated and needed to hit the hospital. Yes, it's possible to dehydrate again very quickly if you're not stable and able to keep up with fluids by mouth. Medications will not work unless you're well hydrated, so getting fluid loss under control is very important. Please let me know if you'd like a volunteer from your area to get in touch with you. Hugs!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby sherry1969 » Aug 24, 2004 10:12 am

I want to thank everyone...I am so happy I found this site. I went to the doctor yesterday after I had posted and my doctor changed my med to compazine. She said if that didn't work that she wanted to try Roflan. I have to see her tomorrow again. She did another ultrasound (my 3rd) and I saw the baby's heartbeat. I just bursted into tears. I heard myself out loud thanking god over and over that the baby still had a heartbeat. I actually started shaking very badly before the ultrasound because I was so afraid that I had hurt my baby and there wouldn't be a heartbeat. The baby actually wave at me..and I couldn't stop crying!! After my husband calmed me down I asked the doctor about this sickness. I asked her if I had HG and she told me that my condition isn't that serious yet! Well when is it then? One of the nurses later told me that this "sickness" was mind over matter! That if you can't control your vomiting , that you're letting your mind go! I can't believe this nurse was telling me this! I started to get angry because I would like her to be in my shoes with her head in the toilet for hours to no end and tell me it was mind over matter! I can tell you that the only support I am getting from home is from my husband. My boss called me later last night and I tried to explain. I told him to check out the website that I had sent to him yesterday, he said that he wouldbut he hadn't yet. He wasn't happy that my doctor told me to take two more weeks off but he did say your health & the baby comes first. I took the advise from the board and tried to relax as much as I could after my ever exhausting day. I even read some more stories from the site. I know that everyone keeps saying that there is hope but when you're in the middle of this...there seems to be no end! Thanks for listening!!!
sherry1969

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 27, 2004 12:50 am

Hooray about baby's heartbeat--a happy focal point is always good during HG! I am so sorry you ran into that idiot of a nurse. I was told that exact same thing with my first pregnancy--"Morning sickness is mind over matter!" The sad part is that we believe it in the back of our minds. :( Usually HG is clinically diagnosed based on ketonesis/dehydration and percentage of body weight lost. But with proper care and management, many women manage to avoid the old clinical definitions, so the lines get blurred. One thing I REALLY wish I had done after that first undiagnosed HG is get supplemental insurance to cover disability...since I was never formally diagnosed that time, I wouldn't have been turned down, and the money would have been useful during my sick leaves with my other pregnancies. I'm glad your boss is at least sticking by you right now; hang in there, and know that this DOES have an end!!!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums