Pregnant w/ #2 8yrs later and HG AGAIN!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Pregnant w/ #2 8yrs later and HG AGAIN!

Postby dgh1973 » Aug 22, 2004 12:21 am

Hi Everyone- I'm a former hg survivor and pg w/ #2 and am suffering once again. Part of the reason we waited 8 years between pregnancies is because of what all I went through w/ my first. I just didn't know if I could do it again. I have to say it subsided for me at 16 weeks at least but until then I was deathly ill. I'm now 9 weeks and have been struggling. The zofran seems to help me quite a bit. My problem is w/ my insurance company not wanting to pay for it more than every 30 days between prescriptions! They say I have to have recieved IV fluids (done it) and tried 2 other forms of antiemetic... dr. gave me phenergan, I broke out in hives and had an anxiety reaction..I haven't had the energy to call and ask for something else yet... I know the zofran works for me, it seems like they would realize it is cheaper to give me the zofran than to pay for my hospitalization, etc.. They will cover 12 pills in a 30 day period.. I'm supposed to take one pill every 8 hours, if you do the math those 12 pills don't last very long at all!! I've actually been breaking the pills in half and taking 2 mg in the morning and 2 mg in the evening but it isn't enough now. If I take a whole 4mg pill in the morning I can actually eat a small breakfast like one scrambled egg and piece of toast, it's miraculous... but once again the cost of the zofran is overwhelming and I've already had to miss work. I only get paid if I work because I'm a nurse and work PRN (as needed) about 2 shifts per week, so I have no actual benefits through my work. The zofran is the only thing making it possible for me to work at all. Has anyone else battled it out w/ their insurance company and won? I'm hoping I can get reimbursed because for the 12 pills it's about 300 dollars and I'm going to have to get a refill tomorrow! I'm so tired and frustrated and stressed and it's making the hg worse I know. As many of you I'm sure agree 300 dollars for meds every week or so is insane. I guess I just needed to vent and see if anyone has dealt w/ this issue/s. TIA. Dee
dgh1973

hello

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 22, 2004 1:24 am

Dee,

Congratulations on the baby :D ...deepest sympathies on the hideous hg pregnancy :? .

A few things come to my mind that might be of help, or encouragement. And please forgive the lack of style in the response....it's late in Michigan:
1. The second time for me, five years later, was much more severe. So I totally sympathize.
2. I've read a lot about Pepcid and Steroids lately on the forum...both seem to be working for women, so you might want to investigate that.
3. If you don't take enough Zofran, as you learned, it won't work...I had that problem...had to wake up every four hours...yeah...still didn't work well for me, but I am SO GLAD it is helping you.
4. Blue Eeyore posted on the Medication thread about an online Zofran price that is considerably less than the typical price. If your insurance continues to refuse coverage, this may be an alternative. HG is a nightmare that most insurances don't recognize, except to deny coverage of course.
5. There is a buddy system available, so you could have a non-pregnant survivor offer support, encouragement, whatever. See the post by Pamela.
6. There is also a thread for insurance and employment issues that may get you more specific responses and help on the insurance front.
6. Bring your doctor some of the printouts and protocols on the website...may be helpful.

Finally, remember you are not alone this time....HER is an emotional and physical lifesaver...we will walk with you and cyber hold your head when you are too sick to hold it up yourself. And in 2005, you will post your birth announcement to raucous cheers!!! And finally get a decent meal. :D
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 22, 2004 11:30 pm

Hi, Dee. Congratulations on the new pregnancy! I'm sorry you're struggling right now; just a few more weeks, and you'll start to turn the corner!

I'd call in to your doctor and ask for a small Rx of Reglan, which is what most insurance companies prefer over Zofran because of the cost difference. Explain to your doctor that you just need to say you tried another antiemetic, and then ask that a letter be sent to your insurance co. with proof of Rx for Phenergan and Reglan, along with the doctor's statement that Zofran is the only effective treatment for you. Most insurance companies will fight Zofran, so you have to get tough. If all else fails, it can be highly effective to call and let the hormones and nausea do the talking for you. They tend to review med rulings when they've got the crazy lady herself on the line! LOL The ladies in the Medication Experiences and Insurance and Employment forums can give you other ideas, too.

Best wishes to you; let me know if you'd like to get in contact with a volunteer from your area!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby dgh1973 » Aug 26, 2004 5:03 am

Suzanne & Pamela- Thank you both for your replies. Sorry it took a while for me to get back on but I haven't been on the pc much :oops:

I am still working on the getting the zofran/insurance situation settled. My dr. ordered compazine for me and I will be picking that up in the am. I really am considering not taking it and just saying it didn't work so I can "meet" all their "requirements". Did compazine help anyone out there?? I'm an RN and I know I used to give compazine to some of my neuro/head injury patients for bad hiccups! I will do whatever helps w/ in reason but after I broke out in hives w/ the phenergan I"m just a little scared of new drugs!

Anyway, thanks for all of your great information and for welcoming me to the board. It is great to know i have a cyber support team.

Oh BTW, I posted this over on the 1st trimester board but the nurse at the dr. office talked the zofran sales rep into giving her 10 8mg sublingual tablets for me for free! I picked them up today. I'm at work right now (RN work 2 nights a week) as long as I can be pretty still and not alot of up and down and movement I'm not too bad off w/ the help of the zofran.

Dee
#2 edd 3-27-05
dgh1973

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 27, 2004 12:57 am

Wow, free Zofran! Enjoy that. :)

Compazine can certainly work. I tried it for all of a few hours with HG #3, but others have had luck with it. I like the idea of just filling the stupid Rx just to say you tried it, though. If Zofran is working, best to stay that course for now and leave the tinkering until the worst of it has passed. Hope you continue to have good days; you can always try adding something like Unisom or meclizine to the Zofran to get you through the busier times. That's how I kept from keeling over at work.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums