This time with details! Nearly new with HG.

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

This time with details! Nearly new with HG.

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 21, 2004 2:37 pm

I am 9.5 weeks pregnant. A little over amonth ago I realized I had sever morning sickness! Then it got so bad I had my Dr prescribe somehting. She put me on Zofran 8mg every 6 - 8 hours as needed. Ithelped a littel but not a lot.

I then went back to see the Dr and was severly dehydrated so they gave me a IV and sent me home saying take more Zofran... Then On Monday of this week I knew it was bad again. Another IV and 2 prescriptions for reglan 8mg every 6 - 8 hours and phenergan 25mg every 6 - 8 hours.

I asked the pharamacist how I should go about taking all 3 prescriptions. She said Zofran then wait 30 minutes or so then Reglan. She said save the phenergan until I could sleep.

Well the Reglan gives me stomach cramps really bad, the Zofran stops working once I start to get dehydrated. The phenergan is great if you want to go into a deep sleep.

I just got my 3rd IV yesterday. My boss is starting to think I am making this up. I sent himt he link to this site. My Husband thinks I could try harder...

I am getting a pump as soon as my insurance approves it. I was so drugged up with phergan yesterday afternoon that I have no idea what my Dr office said to me as I was leaving.

Am I crazy? Am I taking to much meds? Will the pump help?

I eaten a little today. It hurts and I have gad the dry heaves all day long. My husband suggested a walk! I ignored him! I can not shower, I basically can not do anything. We have a 19 month old, who pretends to throw up with me. Not cute when she spits in the toilet like Mommy.

This is killingme, and I just feel so isolated. What else can I do? I can not stand the "have you tried ____, that always help!" from people who had very mild cute morning sickness.

I threw up during my IV... How can I throw up Stomach Acid during my IV? Should that not raise a few flags?

Scared and alone,

DeCole
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 21, 2004 4:16 pm

Running the IV always made me sick. I think the hydration might stimulate your stomach, which makes you sick. Just a guess.

Sorry you feel so bad. None of us will ask you if you have crackers by your bedside, though. ;)
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Aug 21, 2004 5:21 pm

I also threw up each time I had an IV. I don't know why though. I wish I had some magical advice for you, but I don't. Maybe your husband could take a look at this site. Mine is very understanding, but as far as I know he has never looked at this site once. It might help if you can get him to do it. I also have a 15 month old at home that I have been completely unable to care for since about 10 weeks. I am now 31 weeks and am still unable to care for her. Luckily, we have family close by and a wonderful daycare to take her to.

I hope you feel better soon. Yes, the Zofran works best when you are hydrated. It also works best when taken at regular intervals. No skipping doses. even if you have to wake up at night to take it. You may need to have the pump even with the meds. You are not taking to many meds. I know that feeling very well. I am now on about 10 different meds and I am feeling pretty good most of the time, so they are obviously working. I hope you can find the right combination that works for you.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Beth » Aug 21, 2004 8:50 pm

Oh DeCole, I could have written every word you did! This is my first time pg (other than an ectopic), and it can be so isolating and frustrating.

My dh sounds a lot like yours! He keeps telling me to just "drink something" or have a meal. Somehow he thinks it's a willpower thing or that I'm doing it on purpose. I'm going to have the doctor talk to him when he (dh) comes home from a business trip, but not sure how much he'll understand...

I got the pump on Wednesday. It took a couple days to really start kicking in, but now I'm so glad I got it. I tried the Zofran, too, but it didn't do much for me. The Reglan seems to help, but makes me a little anxious in IV form, not so bad in the pump. If you're interested in getting one, I really recommend it and would be happy to talk to you more about it if you'd like.

How many times have you had to go for fluids? Did they give you any meds with it? I hope the dr knows that you were actually sick while you were getting them. Do you know whether you have/have had ketones? People here told me initially about checking them myself to see how bad it was getting, helped me plan when I needed to go to the ER for the IVs.

Please hang in there! I get annoyed with those "Have you tried..." idgits too, especially when they talk endlessly about differents foods, etc, when you're already feeling sick. Please write back and let us know how you're doing, you're not alone with this awful condition anymore!

Beth
Beth

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 22, 2004 9:12 am

Beth -

I have had to get 3 IV's and twice they have given me meds with them. They have given me phenergan which knocks me out for hours on end. I slept from 4:00 pm to 9:00 the next morning!

I do check my Ketones. I do it in the mornng and then again in the afternoon to see how it is progressing. I can tell by how I feel what the result is going to be. When it went to severe I showed my hubby. He did not understand.

Are you working? I am conflicted about what to do for that.

So far this morning I am doing okay. I got a solid to stay down so far! YEAH! Baby steps right. I ownt say whait it was just in case you get sick just reading about food.

Keep me updated as to how you are feeling. We should let our husbands talk!

DeCole
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

I understand

Postby keyakeya » Aug 22, 2004 1:32 pm

I reaaly understand what ur going through. I am 4 months along and I just got out of the hospital 2 days ago for severe dehydration and vomiting. the gave me fluids through the iv and zofran through the iv since taking it by mouth was no longer working. I was released from the hospital because I kept down some jello. But I still feel really sick, not as bad but still cant keep nothing down. I have a appt with my ob doctor who has been talking about the zofran pump as well. Not really sure how or if that will work. I will keep u posted
keyakeya

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 22, 2004 11:59 pm

DeCole - You've been getting great support from others here! Beth is right ahead of you in taking the treatment steps, and I'm happy to see others who are right here with you. Just knowing you're not alone helps!

As far as treatment goes, here are some thoughts. I'd look into regular hydration; you're waiting to spiral down between hydrations, and that's not good because your body needs to be well-hydrated in order for the meds to work. As you noticed, Zofran will not work if you're dehydrated. It sounds like you have a sensitivity to Reglan, so that's probably not going to be a great loss to drop it. Phenergan does tend to knock us out, which is blissful during the worst of it, but not so good if you intend on functioning. There are other options, such as meclizine, compazine, anzemet, etc. The fact that you're still vomiting after rehydration means your meds are not working for you; keep demanding to try different options until you find more relief. In a couple more weeks, steroids will be an option for you; they've been great for many HGers.

A PICC cord or SubQ pump pack will make it a tad more difficult for others to trivialize HG. :( The moronic comments just never end. As for your toddler, she'll never remember a moment of your illness. My son was 20 months when I was pg with baby #2 and he used to take great glee in "spittin' like Mom" in his potty chair! I swear he was not scarred for life by that experience. I wish you the best; I hope you find relief soon.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » Aug 23, 2004 9:50 am

Just a thought. Instead of straight hydration, can you ask for hydration with sugar/glucose in it? This always helped just a bit, taking the edge off the nausea from not having eaten that compunds the alreayd present nausea.

I understand where you are. I look back and think I could of tried harder to continue to funtion normally, but then remember I know I was trying my hardest and it wasnt working. Regular hydration will help the zofran. Have you tried the B6 and or Unisom? For me the nausea (and only minor vomiting-once a day)was what got me the 1st trimester. Then, my 2nd was the intesne vomiting.

Just a question. How was your 1st pregnancy? SEnding feeling good vibes your way.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to New to the Forums