Blessed iwth a Second Cursed with HG

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Blessed iwth a Second Cursed with HG

Postby DeColeCody » Aug 18, 2004 10:46 pm

Hello, I am due 03/19/05 with my second child. After a rough year last year of a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy, we planned this one to the day! I was so excited to get the positive, and everything was going great until the 3rd week of July!

I started throwing up everything, I could not drink anything. I was miserable. When the cramping started one morning last week I knew something was wrong. i just thought I was miscarrying again!

After my Sono my Dr put me on Zofran - not much help! Then I got the IV... Some relief! Well 5 days later I was back 7 pounds lighter than the first IV getting another one!

This time I got reglen and phenergren (SP?) neither seem to make it stop.

I stopped today at 7-11 to vomit. I was so miserable and humiliated.

I have tried to explain to my boss how bad this is. I have tried to tell my husband to stop telling people how "fine" I am. I said I throw up at 7-11 and you think I am "fine"... WOW!

Anyway it is great to meet all of you! I just want the shine back in my hair, this is not fun! The baby's heart rate was really strong on Monday so that was encouraging! If I can only make it another 30 weeks everything will be fine!
DeColeCody
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 19, 2004 3:19 am

Welcome! Congratulations on the new pregnancy. You mentioned cramping--dehydration can cause cramping. You seem to be in a classic dehydration pattern now, getting fluids than spiraling back down until you need more. Talk to your doctor about daily fluids; many HGers do home health and run fluids at home via PICC or other type of IV line. It saves on the spiraling, and it keeps HG on an even keel.

How much Zofran are you taking? 32 mg/day is standard during the worst of it, and many women take it a step further and pair it with Phenergan or Reglan or another anti-emetic, too. There are many options for meds. Unless you had a definite adverse reaction to a med, keep fiddling with dosage until you determine if it works for you at all. I hope you find something to alleviate the worst of it soon!

Your husband needs to add the term "hyperemesis" to his vocabulary. It's so common for all of us to put a brave face on and say we're OK when we're fighting with every breath to keep from vomiting. Print out information from the HER site and take it into work; the more people know, the less likely they are to dismiss it as "morning sickness." Hope some of this helps; once I have your e-mail address, I'll send a volunteer your way.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums