I cant believed I got cursed again!!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I cant believed I got cursed again!!

Postby keyakeya » Aug 18, 2004 6:22 pm

I am 23 years old and have just been diagnosed with HG for a 2nd time. I really thought I would escape it since it started so late. I am only 4 months preg. but the first time I had it, it started at 7 weeks. this time it started at 11 weeks. It seems like when ur this early in the pregnancy people dont take u seriously they just think that's its regular morning sickness. My doctor didnt start taking me seriously until I lost 10 pounds in 8 days. They were going to do the PICC line since the zofran wasnt working, but 2 days before I was supposed to get it I suddenly woke up feeling like my old self again. For one whole week I thought it was over and maybe it ws just morning sickness. Then WAM it hit again and this time much worse then before. So right now my doctor is either going to admit me into the hospital or they may just do the pic line. Does anyone know if that hurts??
keyakeya

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 18, 2004 6:33 pm

The PICC line insertion doesn't hurt any more than an IV. The worst part is the local anesthetic they use before they start. THAT STINGS. But, after that - it's really easy. PICC lines are awesome, in my opinion. They can draw blood out of your PICC, too - so no more unnecessary sticks! You can get IV meds, IV fluids, IV nutrition through your PICC. I love mine.

If you can, request that they do the PICC line in your upper arm (not elbow area) of your non-dominant arm and that they use an ultrasound to guide the placement.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby emily » Aug 18, 2004 7:01 pm

I personally thought it was more painful when they pulled it out.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Ack. That's not what I wanted to hear!
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby emily » Aug 18, 2004 11:35 pm

Well, it wasn't the worst pain ever. I would give it a 3 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being bad. But, compared to getting it in, I thought it was more painful having it pulled back out. Though, it lasts all of 10 seconds. Not really a big deal.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 19, 2004 3:09 am

I loved my PICC. I went through 2 full-term HGs without one, and my last pregnancy with it was soooooo much easier. I had a Groshong line, which didn't need any stitching or daily flushing, so I think I avoided some of the more common complaints. Getting it in wasn't bad at all, and getting it out was a breeze. If your doctors are recommending a PICC and you've already had multiple IVs, I'd definitely recommend it. But there are other options, too--if you read around on the forums, you'll find women who had other kinds of lines put in. Don't be afraid to ask for details!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums