portacath in, TPN attached

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

portacath in, TPN attached

Postby mel » Aug 09, 2004 2:21 pm

My husband found this forum a few weeks ago and suggested I check it out. I haven't stopped vomiting long enough until now. Here's a semi-brief description of what I've been through: I started vomiting on July 5 and by July 9 I had my first trip to the doctor's office for IV fluid due to dehydration. The day after the 5th trip (at which I received 4 IV bags of fluid) I was hospitalized. That was Friday, July 30. Before being hospitalized my doctor had tried compozine (forgive my spelling), reglan, and a few others i can't remember. We already knew i was allergic to zofran and discovered I was allergic to reglan. Upon being hospitalized I was put on the IV form of phenergan and PPN. By Tuesday we were on my last usuable vien for an IV, had discovered I am one of those people who's viens won't take a picc line and by Thursday I had suregery to have a portacath put in. I'm now home and hooked up to TPN 24/7 and have been on an NPO (nothing by mouth) for days. Today I get to try liquids, but I have to admit, it's scary. As much as I want to try food again, it's been nice to have the vomiting under control for a few days.

I've been reading many of the post and can see several woman have had to have picc lines, but I'm wondering if anybody has had to have a portacath?

Mel
happily married, 1st pg
mel

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 09, 2004 9:40 pm

Hi, Mel, and welcome! I'm so glad your husband found us. Sorry that you're really being hit rough right now! Your reactions to medications aren't all that unusual, though I don't know of too many who react to Zofran. Many HGers battle their veins to keep hydrated throughout pregnancy; PICC problems are not unheard of, and we have many, many women who have central lines put in. Exactly where is your portacath located? I'm not familiar with the terminology, but different med centers use different terms. I'm sure someone will read your post and know exactly what you're talking about, though! The beauty of so many of us in one place is that someone is bound to have been through what you're battling right now. Strength in numbers!

If you'd like me to get you in touch with a volunteer from your area, just get me your e-mail and location. Best wishes to you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mel » Aug 09, 2004 9:59 pm

My portacath is located in my upper left chest. It's the type that is located under the skin and they attach a huber (sp?) needle to it that gets changed every week. Today my nurse had problems with it when she tried to draw blood and the huber needed to be changed to fix it. Changing my TPN bag usually makes me more nauseated and today I vomited as a result.

My worst worry is that the phenergan will stop working and I'll start to vomit non-stop again. I'm 10 weeks and 3 days and am hoping that things might return to some sense of normal after the first trimester. I would be interested in being hooked up woth a volunteer in my area. I'll try to figure out how to get my e-mail to you.

Mel
happily married, 1st pg
mel

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 09, 2004 10:40 pm

OK, I get it! Kind of a modification of a central line? Yep, we see many who go that route, usually because their doctors want to avoid potential problems with a PICC. You're certainly not alone; I'd recommend posting about your portacath in the medication experiences forum, and I'm sure someone else who knows exactly what you're going through will find you! It sounds unpleasant; changing bags or flushing the system generally does create an increase in nausea for many, too. I'll be thinking of you and hoping the Phenergan continues to hold. Are all meds like Zofran out for you? I'm thinking of Anzemet and Kytril, which are related and not as widely used. I'm sure someone else will have another bright idea to help, too. For now, I'll focus on getting you in touch with a buddy! Big hugs to you. :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Central Line

Postby Mar2 » Aug 10, 2004 8:03 am

Hi Mel -- I'm so sorry you are struggling with this nasty HG thing. The portacath or central line (not sure if they are exactly the same thing but close I suspect) saved me during my second pgcy. I have a similar problem with PICCs and fried veins (infection, phlebitis, etc.) so it was the tunneled central line for me in the right chest.

Have you tried having someone else change the TPN while you keep your nose covered? Could you suck on or sniff a fragrant object (FOODMENT: like a lemon or acceptable candle) while changing the TPN bags youself? Just be careful not to spill any on you or the bed because then you will start vomiting and almost certainly have to shower (a nauseous experience in itself) and change the sheets. Be prepared to flip the matress if necessary. Can you keep an easily portable trash can or container by the pole so you can contain the spillage? Then move that container as far away as possible until dh or friends can clean it. Also, if you are getting some kind of extra vitamin in the bag, maybe you could ask your doctor if you can hold off on the vitamin until you get a grip on the nausea. For me, the vitamin smell made the tpn so much worse. I skipped it when I was alone or couldn't face the extra nausea and vomiting. Also, it always gave me the sensation that my throat was swelling shut...so I was very selective about when to take it.

Edit: Forgot to ask something so I'm editing...do you have the backpack or just the IV pole? They only gave me the pole so I was stuck at home. If it were me, I would ask for the backpack even if I didn't have the energy to leave the house. It would have saved me many messy trips to the restroom.

It has been 14 months since I dealt with all this so hopefully someone with a fresher persepctive can fill in more of the gaps.

Take care,
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums