2nd time HG sufferer

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

2nd time HG sufferer

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Hi. I'm 11 weeks along and this is my second go around with severe HG. Last time I had gall disease and was hoping that it was a contributing factor. This time, I have no gall bladder and am still severely hyperemetic.

In my first pregnancy, I had woefully inadequate care, did all the anti-emetic drugs and finally got on a zofran pump. OUCH those hurt!

This time, I started on zofran pills. Then came the IV fluids. Then the PICC line and dextrose fluids. Then the hospital stay to get TPN started. I am now at home with TPN going into my PICC line 12 hours at night. I'm still nauseated as heck ALL THE TIME, but I"m only vomiting about 3 times a day. The nausea is the WORST, although my stomach has been so empty that when I do throw up, it burns my mouth and throat something awful.

My mouth tastes horrible. I'm hyper-salivating, which is awful. I have a total aversion to all liquid (am not drinking ANY) and can barely tolerate any food. I've lost 22 lbs so far.

I can lend support because I've been through this before, but I also could use a shoulder to cry on. This WILL be my last child.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 03, 2004 7:09 pm

That burning with vomiting is awful. There is also no reason you should put up with it. I took pepcid, then pepcid and protonix in order to fix that and my reflux, which came on at about 12 weeks for me. I would get the pepcid mixed in with my TPN and it turned it off like a light. My TPN was 24 hours a day, but there are plenty of other ways of giving it. If I missed putting it in to the bag, it would only be a couple of hours before I would throw up and feel that burn again, yuck.

I also think by keeping the vomit from being acidic it also helped spare my teeth, because I threw up the whole time and never ended up with a cavity.

No point in suffering with something you can fix.

I think it is great that you are still able to bf your toddler through all that. I'm not planning on another pg, but sometimes wonder what my doctor would say if I did get pg and told him he could just give me more calories in my TPN because I wasn't planning on stopping.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 03, 2004 10:51 pm

I'm sorry you're struggling now--11 weeks is a low-point as far as HG is concerned. We get so many women who are hoping that having their gall bladders removed will make a difference in their next pregnancies; sadly, it never seems to help. I noticed a bit less bile and blood while vomiting in my post-gallbladder-removal HGs, but it certainly did not impact the illness itself. Darn.

Like Aimee said, you can run your TPN and fluids round the clock. Are you using Zofran this time? You mentioned the first pregnancy; is it working this time? Once you're maxing that and have adjusted the hydration, you could look into additions to your meds. You're getting close to the point where you can start steroids, too; many women have good result with them. The ladies in the 1st Trimester Forum will have super ideas for you as far as meds and fluids and TPN goes!

I'd love to set you up with a support buddy; just get me your e-mail, and I'll send someone your way. Hugs to you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 03, 2004 11:59 pm

Thanks! I'll check out that forum.

Yes, I'm on zofran again. This time I'm self-administering IV zofran through my PIC.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 04, 2004 1:14 pm

You poor thing! I remember it well! I was also able to inject a prescription liquid pepcid into my TPN bad which really helped with the acid build up. Although I still threw up bile, the acid was decreased by quite a bit. You may want to ask your doc if you can have that.

I know that you're having a rough time. I had a Hickman Cathetor (I was too dehydrated and they couldn't get a PICC line) and had TPN's from 7 weeks gestation up until delivery. After about a month of TPN's, I really felt like I had more energy. I just want to let you know that YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! I hope that your medical care is better this time around. You are certainly in my thoughts!!!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 04, 2004 7:01 pm

Good to hear you're on Zofran; 32 mg/day is standard for the worst of it. Beyond that, you can pair up other meds to see if they help with the lingering symptoms. How much fluid are you running daily? I've seen some doctors order TPN and not fluids, thinking the nutrition is enough. Zofran will not work if you're not well hydrated. :oops: Hope you're turning a corner soon; did HG lessen for you at any point with your first pregnancy?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 04, 2004 9:50 pm

I am on no additional fluids. The TPN is about 2.5 L (2500 cc) over the course of 12 hours.

What other medicines can you take while taking zofran? I asked him (reluctantly because I'm not fond of reglan) if we could do both zofran and reglan and he said no way.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 05, 2004 10:40 am

That's odd because my first pregnancy doctor had me on both at the same time (although I do question his compentancy). I took Zofran and Phenergan together and that seemed to be the most effective combo. Did you ask him about Phenergan? Just a thought!
Thinking of you!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 05, 2004 9:07 pm

I've been on zofran and lots of other drugs (reglan, phenergan, meclizine, thorazine, benadryl, hmm, maybe some others). There's no reason not to and it's always worth a try.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums