How could I have forgotten what this is like???

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

How could I have forgotten what this is like???

Postby JackieR » Jul 23, 2004 11:07 pm

This is my third pregnancy. I miscarried my first in 1998 in my third month for unknown reasons. I was never diagnosed with HG then, but looking back, I know I had it. I got pregnant with my son in April 2001. Found out May 10th, started the vomiting on May 27th. It hit suddenly and then never let up. I was vomiting about ever 45 to 60 minutes during every waking hour. I had convinced myself that this was just morning sickness. I told myself over and over again to "get over it," that this was just part of being pregnant. I continued to work (at the time as a large restaurant manager). By July I was in the ER and had lost 40 pounds. It was then that I went on leave and finally admitted that something was actually wrong. It became a matter of finding the right medication at that point and nothing seemed to be working. I was on a 24/7 IV drip for 8 weeks before my doctor suggested we try Zofran. It worked. As long as I had that I experienced only normal morning sickness (1-3 times a day). In the beginning of September I vommitted for the last time. The rest of my pregnancy was wonderful and my son, healthy. Now I'm pregnant again. I'm actually due on the same day I was due with my son. Sure enough, right around the end of May, it started again. My memory of it came flooding back and I wonder how in the world I could have forgotten and allowed myself to get pregnant again. It's the end of July and my insurance has finally approved the Zofran for me again. I've already lost 27 pounds.

Only five more months to go.
Jackie R
JackieR

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 24, 2004 2:09 am

I am really sorry it took so long for you to get medication, I myself am going through almost the same thing. The difference is that I was finally given medication today, not zofran but vitamin B6 and phenegran. I have six more months to go, this is also my third pregnancy, I have two girls and the youngest is 6 months. My next is due eight days after my seconds due date. I never thought I'd be having more kids either, the gap between my first and my second is 3 months from 6 years. Good luck and take care.

valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 24, 2004 9:12 am

Hi, Jackie, and welcome. I think one of the most terrifying moments of repeat-HG is that first vomit when you ask youself, "What was I THINKING???" But you've been through it, and you know not only what to expect, but what the reward will be. I found a peace in the acceptance that came with my HGs after that first time (miscarried at 12 weeks, too). Your HG sounds really similar in pattern to mine, as well; I vomited every hour on good days, and every 15 minutes on bad days. The benefit in recognizing your illness pattern is that you can find others who were sick like you. Treatments and meds that worked for them are more likely to work for you. Plus, it's nice to know that yours is not the only body that reacts in that particular way!

3 of my 4 babies were due around the beginning of January, and the triggers are so intense when you're sick at the same time again. I was always sick in May, and to this day I have a rush of HG memory on the first warm spring day when some spring scent tickles my nose. I know the feeling of pregnancies running together in one long HG horror reel. :( I hope the Zofran works quickly so you're feeling better soon. Hang in there; if you would like to get in contact with a volunteer, just let me know!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums