new to the group 6th go around w/HG frustrated

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

new to the group 6th go around w/HG frustrated

Postby heather in italy » Jul 18, 2004 10:05 am

My name is Heather. I have been preg. 6 times. I have 3 children. I miscarried my 4th and 5th preg. at 12 and 8 weeks due to severe dehydration. My husband is military and we are stationed overseas. I am a small person barely 5' 1" weighing in pre preg at 103. I am currently 17 weeks. In 1 1/2 weeks I lost 20 lbs. the hospitals here are different. I spent 2 weeks in May in the hospital with a tube from my nose to my intestine while the doctors tried to figure out what medications were going to work. I was vomitting so often and forcefully that it was causing vaginal bleeding. I could not stop vomitting. After the byle ran out I spent a week vomitting blood. It was as painful as labor. they finally mixed the right cocktail for me being zofran, reglan, zantac and corticosteroids. I am currently just taking zofran. I have gained 2 lbs. Here's the part I don't get, between 15 and 16 weeks I thought I had it beat. I even had a fluke day where I didn't need the zofran. the day I turned 16weeks, I vomitted anything solid all day long and couldn't take in more than a sip of liquid at a time. I ended up in the hospital for Iv fluids and back again that same night for painful dehydration related contractions. 2 days later I saw my Doc. I was doing OK but now a week later I'm back where I was. Has this ever happened to any of you, where you were sure the worst was over only to find out that's not so? I know it's probably just the dehydration paired with an emotional roller coaster but I feel as though now that I'm past 16 weeks, my Doc thinks I should be able to control this. Please help. Heather
heather in italy

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 18, 2004 11:50 pm

Welcome, Heather. It sounds like you've really been through it with this pregnancy--have all your HGs been this way? You have my utmost respect, that's for sure! It is common for HGers to have good days followed by payback. You mentioned that on one really good day you didn't need your Zofran at all; this may explain some of what's happening. Zofran needs to be taken regularly and weaned slowly; if you're trying to skip doses or stop too quickly, you're upsetting the delicate balance your body has struck with HG. A sudden, violent return of HG can signal another underlying condition such as a cold, UTI, allergies, even stress, but I am thinking you'll be able to get things back in control if you take your meds regularly and take your time weaning down on the Zofran. I started weaning down at 14 weeks and didn't go off until 30 weeks; many women stay on Zofran until delivery. Don't let your doctor rush you. It's in your best interest to take this slowly so you're not battling another return of HG. Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 19, 2004 11:33 am

Hi Heather,

Some women do relapse and fight HG to the end and overall experience a few good weeks somewhere in the middle. Your previous HG pgs are actually the best indicator for your HG pattern. If your HG typically lets up and doesn't hang on to the end, there is a chance that you have just suffered a setback, and are off too many drugs too quickly. I never started to wean until I was 20 wks, and feeling "normal", myself, and my HG wasn't as bad as yours.

However, HG isn't 100% predictable by any means, and you could have to suffer for the long haul, but there is no way to find out until you're there. Keeping with small frequent meals, continuing w/ your meds (can you add back in more than just the Zofran to get back to that controlled place?) and making sure that you are as hydrated as you can be and resting as much as possible (overdoing it is a sure fire way to relapse) can all aid to your recovery. You hit a really rough patch again, and you're not going to bounce out of it overnight. Be patient with yourself, and hopefully you'll be able to work out of this gradually, but it has to be slow to last.

We have an excellent moderator in the 2nd trimester forum that may have further help for you. She had an NG tube to her intestines and struggled with HG through to the end. Her name is Anna, and would be delighted to see you in that forum.

Huge hugs, and welcome.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby macsmommy » Jul 19, 2004 3:00 pm

Heather
Im so sorry it tricked you like that. I did the same thing, started to feel better then REALLY over did it. I paid the price for 2 weeks, just try to take it easy. If you have a good week then try to do a little bit, key word LITTLE. I felt so good I tried to spend a whole day at the fair BAD PLAN.
I should have just tried to do a load of laundry or something small.
Please keep us informed and I really hope you start to feel better soon
Melissa
macsmommy

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 01, 2004 12:47 pm

Yes, your story sounds much like my first bout with HG. As I approached 2nd trimester, I thought things were improving, and then BAM, it hit me like a brick wall again.
I had NG feeding with the second one and I vomitted so hard that the tube dilodged from my intestines. I ended up at 7 weeks gestation with a Hickman Cathetor which did wonders for weight gain and nutrients. I was also able to inject vitamins and liquid pepcid into the bag of TPN's so my energy and less reflux was wonderful. I am so sorry that you are having such a time with this! I'm also sorry for your miscarriages. Just keep the faith, you are doing great - practically half way there!)
Just know that I totally understand where you're coming from and am routing for you! I know the NG tube is miserable. I found that it actually enhanced my gag reflux.
Don't worry too much about the vaginal bleeding. I bled almost every time I threw up because there are so many capillaries down there that burst easily upon such force. I also had them burst in my eyes frequently. Remember, you WILL get through this! I know it feels bleak. I am thinking of you!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums