It's bad when the ER staff knows you!!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

It's bad when the ER staff knows you!!

Postby macsmommy » Jul 15, 2004 1:46 pm

I had another ER trip last night, it gets pretty bad when you walk in and they know who you are!! But after getting 2 bags and some Zofran in my IV I am feeling much better today!!
Is there a trick to not having to wait for 6 hours before they see you? I just sat there throwing up bile and dry heaving for ever. I also found out that I lost another 10 lbs since my 12 week appointment, I actually thought I would have gained.
Can I get a line that just stays in so I can get IV's at home??
Would love any help I am seeing my reg OB in the morning =)
Melissa
macsmommy

Postby MamaLily » Jul 15, 2004 2:05 pm

Melissa -

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better after getting fluids. It's amazing how much difference it makes to feel hyrated again! :wink:

I definitely think you need to speak with your doctor about another way of getting fluids. You can get a PICC line so that you get fluids at home. Or you could ask about scheduling fluids every few days at ambulatory care or in an IV/infusion center. There are many better options than the ER!!!!! :?

Also, I think you ought to talk with your doctor at this point about watching malnutrition as well as dehydration. It might be time to consider a source of nutrition - an NG tube or TPN through a PICC. I had an NG tube and plan on having another one in any future pregnancy. Let me know if you need more info about either of these options.

I really think that you could benefit from a round of steroids. Have you looked into that option? Steroids often can help women start to eat a little bit - and can even give relief from the nausea. I tried almost everything before I was given steroids, and they really helped! They were the only medicine that stopped the weight loss for me.

PLEASE don't let yourself continue to lose weight without trying different options - it's just not worth risking your health or the health of your babies!

Hang in there and let us know how it goes tomorrow with the doctor. Can you take someone with you who will help you fight for what you need? It's so hard to be your own advocate when you aren't feeling well. Without my mom's help in my behalf, I would have been in pretty bad shape.

I'll be thinking about you...

- Anna[/list]
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby emily » Jul 15, 2004 2:17 pm

Hi Melissa,

I had a PICC line but it was placed incorrectly and so it had to be removed after 3 days of TPN. What really helped me was the IV/infusion clinic. The hospital runs a clinic for certain hours each day where they administer IV's. You can basically call them up and tell them you need to come down and get an IV or even make a standing appointment, say every Tuesday and Friday. I went at least once a week for several months, and if I had a particuarly bad day, I would always go in the next day for rehydration. I would go in and get fluids and sometimes medications. They usually would keep me until I could produce a urine sample that wasn't full of keytones.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby macsmommy » Jul 15, 2004 2:24 pm

I will print off your post and take it in, Im sure my Dr will do anything to help he is very good about trying to think of things to help. Eating isn't to hard some days then there will be a day or two with nothing at all, not even water. I just really thought I was doing better than before. I'm going to try getting some cold stuff to eat maybe that will halp some the heat is just really KILLING me. I know our electricity bill is going to be sky high but at this point I just dont care =)
Thanks so much for your help
Melissa
macsmommy

shunt

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 15, 2004 2:40 pm

Hi Melissa,

I had home healthcare with my first. . .the nurse came every three days to move the shunt and the equipment and supplies was delivered to my door. I don't know how it was fixed up this way as the ER, or some other hospital types, made the arrangements. I have no memory of the time.

A PICC made me too nervous about infection, but the shunt did the job until there were no more good veins. I was given grief about continuing moving the shunt around, but I insisted. (A humorous aside: my students would giggle over my "tracks." College kids will find humor in anything.) When I tried on my own after the shunt wouldn't go in anymore, I did okay with meds alone.

Good luck.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby mammaclare » Jul 15, 2004 8:29 pm

I, too, chickened out of a PICC and had new IV's started for 3 days at a time when I would get bad. I would look into home health regardless of if you get a PICC or not, and I am with Anna on the NG tube option too.

Hugs--
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby halgal427 » Jul 16, 2004 1:31 pm

i had a midline put in during my pgs and had a weeks worth of fluid and meds delivered and i did my own ivs 2 times a day. it was sooooo much better then the er. also it was so helpful to be consistantly hydrated. i believe a midline is less invasive then a PICC line. the line was put in at my home by a visiting nurse. iy was painless. i had a little local at the site that stung for a second but it was eisier then an IV. my veuns were ruined by so many IV's so we worked on saving one spot in my arm for a week or so to put the line in. it ment IV's in my feet/legs for that week but it was so worth it. i am 6 wks pg now and fully expecting to have a line put in. you sound like you really need one. best of luck,
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums