Only 4 wks pg and it's already started... HELP!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Only 4 wks pg and it's already started... HELP!

Postby SickGirl » Jul 14, 2004 9:05 am

Hi! I wish I would've found this site during my first pg (this is my 2nd HG pg). Last time, the HG started someone around wk 6-7, I think. Well, I'm only 4 wks pg (I haven't even gone for my 2nd HCG beta yet) and it hit me all of a sudden last night and hasn't let up yet. I feel miserable! My dr. gave me Zofran and Phenergan on Monday just in case... well I took it last night before the vomiting started and it didn't help a bit. I was up all night! I've got a call in to my dr. right now to go ahead and get a Zofran pump b/c that is what I had with my first pg. Do any of you think it's worth it to also try the Unisom/B6 combo with it? Also, what types of foods are you able to keep down? I can't even imagine eating anything but know I need to.

Thanks so much!
SickGirl

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 14, 2004 11:16 pm

Hi, and welcome. I'm sorry HG walloped you so soon this time, but it's not uncommon for it to rear its ugly head this early. :(

How much Zofran, and what kind/how much Phenergan? If you're vomiting, you're going to have a problem with oral meds, so if a pump worked last time, best to go that route again. Honestly, it seems that the Unisom/B6 only works to a point during HG, and you may be beyond that point. I'd still try it, though; you can get sublingual B6 if that's easier to get down. Or shots, another option. Remember that you need to be well-hydrated for any meds in any form to work, so if you haven't been able to keep up with fluids it may be a good idea to get some before you put the pump to the test.

FOODS: It's really individual, and whatever sounds good has the best chance of staying down. The most common cravings are carbohydrates like pasta and breads; protein is also good for some ladies. Many have made it through these early weeks with beverages like juices (Hi-C orange, berry JuicyJuice, and lemonade were my saviors with my pregnancies); I love the slushee machines that some use - great idea! Popsicles can also work. If you cruise through the 1st Trimester Forum, you'll find more great ideas. Take it easy and don't force it, as that will only make HG worse. Have someone bounce food ideas off of you and agree to be your personal gofer if something sounds tolerable. Good luck!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mom2matt » Jul 22, 2004 5:51 pm

I have only been able to keep down jello, (Cherry flavor at room temp.) I NEVER eat the stuff, but at least this stays down, and if it repeats, it does not change to something from out of this world..

Calming vibes being sent~~~

Shlby
mom2matt

Alternative to the Zofran pump...

Postby JackieR » Jul 23, 2004 11:23 pm

I am so sorry to hear that you've started so early! We're in the same boat. I had the Zofran pump during my last pregnancy and although I was extremely greatful for the relief from HG, I have to admit that my thighs (which is where I put mine) were shot for the next year. The muscles in both thighs were so worn and saturated that I can't imagine how they ever got back to normal. There is now a new form of Zofran called ODT (Orally Disintigrating Tablets). They disolve in your mouth and are swallowed with your saliva. The first one will of course take some time to work (took about thirty minutes for me), but after that, I just make sure I take another one before I get to the point of vomitting again (about ever 6 hours for me, taking 8mg). Maybe you should give that a try.

As for food, I was doing Slim Fasts and Ensures while I was vomitting. They're packed with vitamins and minerals that you're bound to absorb some of even if you vomit a few minutes after drinking. And to me, they weren't that bad coming back up and we all know how important that is. :wink:

Best of luck!
Jackie R
JackieR

have you tried milk thistle?

Postby discreetmom » Jul 26, 2004 12:58 pm

I just posted what has been helping me and has cut out over 99% of my vomiting. I started vomiting at 5 weeks this time. Now, my vomiting is less than some mother's "normal morning sickness now. Please see my post in this forum under new here to learn what is helping me.

DiscreetMom
discreetmom

Postby danimomof2girls » Aug 01, 2004 12:38 pm

Jackie,
The Zofran Pump did the same to my thighs. Wasn't that painful?!?! I was so think that it just penetrated to the heart of my muscle. Also, they tried putting it in my abdomen once and it went too deep because of how slight I had become from HG. Oh well, it's but a memory now!
How happy to know that we do bounce back after such experiences though. I have a few small medical problems following pregnancy, but your fears are far worse when you are in the midst of HG. Now I have two beautiful daughters to show for it and HG did not beat me!
I can't say enough how wonderful this board is! The hardest thing about my first pregnancy was that no one understood me (not even the docs) and I'm sure many thought I was a hyperchondriac. It is so uplifting to have support from people who do understand! Although I will not be having any more babies, I hope I can help someone with my sincerity!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

curious

Postby stephanie greene » Aug 02, 2004 3:34 pm

at four weeks did you test positive on a home pg test? not doubting that you are pg...wondering if I am?smile
During my first pg I had a PICC with IV zofran and then took B6/unisom. I wonder about the meclizine many have benefited from...I will probably try that this time( ...oh I said this time...)
soooo sorry you are sick! I will be praying for your endurence!
hang in there! You can do it:)

Stephanie
stephanie greene
Welcomed Friend

Postby mel » Aug 09, 2004 4:47 pm

I tried the unisom/B6 and found I got a non-stop terrible headache from the unisome. I stopped taking it. My HG was pretty bad by the time I had tried that and I landed in the hospital a few days later. I now have a portacath and TPN 24/7.

Mel
happily married, 1st pg
mel

Return to New to the Forums