I have an OOPS pregnancy - Jennifer

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I have an OOPS pregnancy

Postby OldMom » Jul 07, 2004 3:24 pm

Hello everyone.

I am so thankful for all the wonderful supportive and understanding words I am now able to find here on this site. Now, with this unplanned 4th pregnancy, that inevitably would turn out to be another HG pregnancy. The first three would have been so much easier if I had had this kind of knowlage, and support from other HGers. My first and second was with a Dr who wouldn't treat my HG unless kindey and liver tests indicated I was severe. The third time around with a different Dr it was somewhat better, as I was given multiple IVs and Phenerghan. He too, however, wanted signs of severe dehydration before admitting for IV treatment. It was a traumatic and miserable experince for a good part of each pregnancy. At least the final months were a relief for me, as nature had mercy and released me from the HG, and I didn't have too many of the other third trimester miseries.

For 14 years I thought I was was past ever having to deal again with HG. Three children was enough! After an unfortunate divorce from my first husband 6 years ago, I went back to school, got my BS, and am in school for my Masters, with one class yet to go, two of the kids are adults now, and I was beginning to relish the idea of becoming a grandmother, when, SUPRISE. I was completely stunned, since we were using BC AND my brand new hubby had a recent vasectomy. Well, something else was planned for our lives! I can't even express the shock and disbelief I had when my hubby insisted I take a pregnancy test after finding me asleep on the couch in the afternoon. I had been having irregular periods, thinking menopause had started, so a late period didn't alarm me at all. He bought the test and waited that evening after dinner for me to take the test. When it was positive I almost fainted.

All I could think about at that point was that I didn't think I could survive another HG pregnancy. Not now, not at ths age. Plus my long awaited for career had barely begun, and my graduation was supposed to be this August! My new husband didn't have children and said he didn't want any, he was just fine with the three I have and that's all.

These past 4 months have been the hardest I have had in my life. I couldn't get happy about the baby, my husband is undergoing massive doses of steriod treatment for a lung deasise, I had to quit work, and place my schooling on hold. Each day I could only think about the next 24 hours, and no more.

Anyway. I had all those awful thoughts of terminating the pregnancy in the first couple weeks.... but I am glad I was able to hold on. It all looked so very bleak at first.

Finally I have started seeing light. Now at 17 weeks the severe nausea is now more like a normal morning sickness, which I can handle. I can get out of the house now for a little bit, my strength is slowly coming back, and gained 6 lbs back. The HG this time was controlled a little better. I stayed off my feet and still every day for 15 weeks, and along with the Zofran, and Phenerghan, I was able to keep from vomiting (Although every sip of water and bit of food was a struggle, and several times each day I thought I would lose it)

This week we found out it's a little girl. and for the first time I have looked at baby things again. Most of what I did have I have given away over the years, so I will be replenishing the supply.

My husband has undergone counciling and he is now finding himself happy about the baby, and more excited than I am at this point. He has helped me with eveything. He went from a single guy with no kids in March, to getting married, dealing with my 14 year old son, having a pregnant wife who is totally incapable to taking care of even herself, having a serious lung condition diagnosed ( in March!) two surgeries to rule out cancer etc. taking massive steriods (which is VERY hard on a person's attitude as well as body), plus the added pressure of the loss of my income. He amazes me. God couldn't have given to me a better man. :D

Are there any other Older Moms out there in this forum? ( Or as a midwife called me, an "elderly" Mom.. HA! I am 42. :roll:
Jennifer in Chattanooga, Tennessee

4 HG pregnancies
21 year old girl
19 year old girl
14 year old boy
due 12/3/04 Girl (She's a gift I didn't ever expect, and still trying to get used to.)
OldMom

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 07, 2004 9:37 pm

Hi, Jennifer, and welcome. I hope you don't mind if I give you your own thread here so everyone can read your amazing story--if ever there was an argument that Life has its own plans for us, you're it! :o Can't argue with destiny, as they say. It's great that your husband is excited at this point; the two of you really deserve something happy in your lives now!

I'm glad you got better care with this pregnancy, though I'm sure you're finding new ideas here with every post. That's the beauty of getting so many HGers together! And yes, we do have "mature mommies" here; just hang around and you'll come across them. 'Elderly' - ha! I guess your body is showing you it's still got a trick or two up its sleeve! Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby MamaLily » Jul 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Jennifer -

Hi and welcome! Thank you so much for sharing your HG story. It sounds like this baby was really meant to come to you and your husband. She is lucky to have parents who are willing to go through so much for her. I can't believe all that your dh has experienced this last year...I hope he's doing okay.

I'm glad to hear that you're over the worst of HG now - what a relief! I am a moderator in the 2nd Trimester forum...I hope you'll join us there and keep us posted on how you are doing.

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to New to the Forums