I'm New Here

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I'm New Here

Postby jettagirl2004 » Jul 06, 2004 11:32 am

Hi everyone I stumbled across this site a few nights ago and was so happy to find people that actually know what I am going through and how I feel. I am just about to enter my 5th month of pregnancy and I am still getting pretty sick.

I think the dr originally just thought it was all in my head until I ended up in the hospital twice in a 3 week period. The first time he just put me on benedryl and then when I was actually admited to the hospital the second time they didnt admit me the first time he decided that he was going to put me on Reglan which works some of the time.

I saw the Dr yesterday and he wants me to take Reglan at least 4 times a day for awhile and see if Im still getting sick since I was still throwing up while taking the Reglan and if I stop getting sick he wants me to stop it all together and see what happens and wants to see me in 2 weeks instead of a month to see how I am doing.

He also told me that I need to start gaining weight since I have lost about 15 pounds or so over the past 4 months. He isn't too happy about that but at least he isn't yelling at me about it like some dr's would.

This is my second child and the first was nothing like this at all. I was sick once a day when I first got up in the morning and that was it. They say that morning sickness can be anytime or all day well seems to be that mine hits in the late afternoon and continues through the rest of the day.

I have honestly reached the point that I'm not sure that I even want to have any more kids because of how sick I have been I don't think I can go through this again but who knows once its all done and over with if it ever ends I might change my mind.
jettagirl2004

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 06, 2004 2:52 pm

I'm so sorry you're struggling with this pregnancy. Most of us are hit with HG from the first pregnancy on, and it seems especially cruel to be blind-sided by it after a normal first pregnancy! :( You're not alone, though; we've got others here just like you.

So your doctor just has you on Reglan? Are you able to keep much down, because Reglan's chief use is to speed digestion so food doesn't have a chance to sit in your stomach so long and be vomited. But if you're still vomiting and not gaining weight, you need to try something else. I'd wow him and ask for some Zofran, the HGer's first line of defense. It's a standard anti-emetic that tackles the vomiting, and you showing that you're researching may make your doctor take you more seriously. You can also try adding in Phenergan with the Reglan; that combo got me through with my first child. At any rate, you need to do something else along with the Reglan; and DO NOT try weaning until your body tells you it's able! It took me weeks to fully wean off the Reglan that first time around, so it's insane to think that you'll just be able to cold-turkey and be ok. Sounds like your doctor needs a reality check about HG. Reading in the 1st and 2nd Trimester forums here will give you great ideas for further discussion with your doctor. Don't give up until you find something that helps; you deserve to feel better soon! Good luck to you, and thanks for the intro.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby jettagirl2004 » Jul 06, 2004 6:07 pm

I never said he wants me to stop taking it cold turkey. I said he wants me to take it for a few days 4 times a day and see how that goes and then to not take it as often and see how that goes. Never said to straight out stop taking it.

With the reglan I can eat what I want when I want and I seem to keep things down although I still feel nauseated sometimes.
jettagirl2004

Postby emily » Jul 06, 2004 7:47 pm

Well, it sounds to me like the Reglan is working pretty well for you. I know when I took Reglan, I noticed no effect at all. I tried it later in my pregnancy when I was about 7 months and only vomitting 4-5 times a day. It kind of seemed silly to me to take Reglan because as said above, it just moves food through your system faster and since I was still throwing up so much, there really wasn't any food to move.

You mentioned losing 15 lbs. What percent of your body weight is that? Unless if you are really tiny, I think you sound like you are doing pretty good. I lost about 35 lbs in the first couple weeks of my pregnancy with HG and I never did regain all of it (and my baby was 10 lbs!) I have a good friend who has had pretty bad morning sickness but not hyperemesis with her two pregnancies, and she was about 10 lbs under when she delivered, and she was fine and her babies were fine.

Anyhow, if the Reglan is allowing you to eat sounds good! Maybe try taking B6 and unisom to help with the nausea.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 06, 2004 9:08 pm

Ok, that sounds better. My brain's stuffy today - sorry. Though you'll find many, many voices of experience telling you to go off of meds very, very slowly. HG is such a delicate balancing act, and any sudden move on your part can throw you off and back into it again.

The Reglan sounds like it's working fairly well for you, which is great. It's got a bit of a bad reputation here for causing adverse effects, but when it works you can't argue with it. You could try a simple addition like Unisom to curb the lingering nausea. You can split tablets, and you can do up to 3 of the blue Unisom tabs per day. It may be just the boost you need to get you over the edge. I think it's great that your doctor wants to keep closer tabs on you, too. Hoping you're feeling better soon and can wow him with a good weight report at that next visit. But don't worry too much - many HGers gain very little weight and still have bouncing babies. As long as you're being monitored closely and your baby is growing, you're on firm ground. Hugs!!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums