hello

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 18, 2004 1:13 am

Hello Pamela and Anna

Well I've been sick for a couple of days. I can't keep anything down and I want to cry when I see cheesecake and yogurt. Those were things I would constantly eat when I wasn't pregnant or chips with sour cream. I have a hard time keeping down fruits also. During summer, California is just flourishing with fresh fruit stands. I really hope, come tuesday, that the doctor perscribes me something that will let me eat dairy products as well as fruit. When I go back on tuesday I will also find out when I'll be having another ultrasound.

Valerie
Valerie Cruz

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 18, 2004 9:10 am

Thanks for the update, Valerie. I'm sorry you're not feeling so well, but unfortunatley we had talked about the possibility of your HG waxing and waning like this. Just make sure your doctor checks you out carefully, because quickly getting very sick just after a good spell can point to another problem (like the UTI or a cold; not necessarily something terrible). It sounds like you're definitely going to need meds to stabilize your pattern; let the 1st Tri ladies know what you get and how much on Tuesday! And yikes--dairy and fruit are tough for many. But if you're craving it, your body will try its best to work with you, so I hope you get the foods you're dreaming of!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby MamaLily » Jul 19, 2004 3:07 pm

Valerie -

Oh, I remember those California fruit stands! We used to buy white peaches at a local farmers' market in CA...oh, they were so good! I've been missing those lately. :)

Are you craving fruits and dairy products or are you feeling that you ought to eat them? It's definitely a good idea to follow your cravings. But - if you are eating something only because it's nutritious and you feel like you ought to eat it, then I think maybe it's worth skipping that food for a while. Unfortuately most HGers have to throw "nutrition-based eating" out the window for a while. I lived for a while on canned peaches. Seriously! Try to eat whatever sounds good, and don't worry about forcing yourself to eat things that don't appeal to you. It will all even out in time, and calories are the most important thing right now.

Let us know how your doctor's appointment goes. Hang in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 22, 2004 12:11 am

Hello Everyone,
I didn't go to the dr yesterday, I had no transportation, no babysitter, and now I have no phone. I rescheduled for friday, I used my sister in laws phone when she came to visit. I am still feeling sick but I can stick it out. I am in the process of finding another doctor, I was approved again for medical. I also have no income coming in, on my part, and my husband doesn't even make what I used to. Which is weird, we worked in the same place and he has a higher position than I. He also goes in at a later time so he is given .30 cents more that what I make. He gets so frustrated with that, so he's looking for another job. I'm behind on rent right now and we don't even pay that much. There are some good things going on though. My brother had gotten in trouble a couple of weeks ago, due to him lending out his car, but he's coming home in a week. My mom just won a settlement, she worked at the same place as my husband and I, but she was hurt awhile back and so far has had one surgery with another one coming up. She is living in Phoenix right now but says that she will move back with us and she told my husband and I to go out and look for a house with mother in law quarters or a duplex. So I will have some help with the children. I can't go back to work right now cause I have no one to watch my children. Well I have said enough here. I hope everyone is well.

Valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 24, 2004 1:49 am

Went to the doctor today, I was perscribed Vitamin B6 to take in the afternoon and phenegran for the night. Last night I was up til almost 5 in the morning running back and forth to the bathroom, I think it was the cranberry juice I drank. I was also given a shot, don't know what it was, but it was for the UTI that I still have and given macrobid to take for 5 days. I go back next friday to see how I'm doing on the medication.

Valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 24, 2004 8:57 am

Too bad the UTI is still hanging around. Macrobid did a number on me as far as vomiting went with my last pregnancy, but it did clear up my infection. Hope things get back to normal soon!

OK, your doctor sounds like a medication weenie! B6 needs to build up in the system, so you may not see any effect for quite some time. Most women are taking 50 mg 3x/day, not just during the day. Is there a reason you're not taking Phenergan 'round the clock? If it's to avoid side-effects during the day, there are other options. These meds work best when taken routinely and at scheduled intervals, and "if you need it at night" is not doing your body any favors. My doctor was similar to yours with my 3rd HG, the first of mine he treated--he tried a couple easy things and then shrugged and said there was nothing else safe to try. At that point I was too sick to argue, but I learned after that pregnancy that there are many options, and there's no reason to be so ill without at least trying and trying and re-trying different options. If Phenergan seems to help but you're still feeling rough, call that doctor and tell him or her that you need to take it during the day. And if Phenergan is not working well, ask for Zofran or some other option. I hope you find something to help!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 25, 2004 1:41 am

The B6 actually helped out today, I was able to eat a salad w/ranch dressing and some cruttons for dinner, delicious. And I was able to drink a cup of light cranberry/peach juice and another bottle of ice water. For lunch I drank a bottle of water and ate a cheese burger and some crisp cut fries, I was craving those fries. It was great, I thought I could eat a slushy but the dye is too much still and I still can't sweet tarts, my fave candy. But I was able to eat. Maybe it was from the phenegran last night, I was wondering if I still had some of it in my system. Oh yeah, the phenegran was only perscribed at night because of my six month old. In the afternoon my husband is always in and out of the house and so I tend to her and he usually takes my six year old with him, since she can get in and out of the car by herself and she's able to talk to him. Now I'm thinking twice about taking my other perscription for the UTI. I want that to go away but I also want to be able to eat. :?

Valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 25, 2004 10:19 pm

A good salad is a glorious thing! Our garden was in full-swing when I came out of the worst of it and needed to eat, eat, eat to keep nausea at bay with HG #3, and I think I must have eaten 4 salads per day. Mmmm!

Completely understandable about Phenergan only at night; it does tend to knock us out! Great that B6 is making a difference; I always felt that it "smoothed my tummy" and helped me. Have you considered adding Unisom to your B6? It may be what you need to really help you feel great again. I know it seems strange to take a sleep-aid, but you can break the tablets in 1/2 or even 1/4 and never get a hint of drowsiness. Stick with the macrobid to avoid even worse complications from that UTI, but maybe try something OTC like Unisom to help with the effects of the antibiotic. Andy has all that info in the 1st Trimester Forum. Good luck, and thanks for the update!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 27, 2004 7:46 pm

Is it possible for the B6 to start making you feel nauseated? I know the macrobid causes that some what but with the B6 I really feel it, I gag alot. I haven't gone to the store, but will the unisom help even with the macrobid?

Valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 28, 2004 8:05 am

We do have some ladies who are sensitive to the B6 and get sick from it, so it's possible. It may be just the oral form that's difficult for you to take, too. If it really does seem to be helping but you want to get around the pills, you can ask your doctor about injections every couple weeks--more powerful dose, no swallowing or gagging.

Yes, Unisom will work right on top of that Macrobid. When you're finished with the antibiotic course and feeling better, you may find that you can adjust the Unisom to take less, but for now there won't be a problem with it. I hope it helps you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 30, 2004 6:30 pm

I haven't tried the unisom, but what I was taking just wasn't working anymore and I wasn't able to hold any water down. I went for my weekly checkup today and I have to go to the hospital for an IV. I didn't think I was that bad but he doesn't want me to get any worse. So while there he is going to try Reglan, I think that's what he said and something else. I'm waiting for my husband to get ready to go. I hate IV's. I found out that all the girls, even the new ones already have my chart number memorized and everything else wrong with me. So every one wished me well. Well I gotta go for now, I'll let you know what works if it does.

Valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Postby Valerie Cruz » Aug 01, 2004 10:54 pm

Back from the hospital, I was released the next morning. I feel much better and not as tired as I was, not as thirsty either. I really didn't think I was all that bad. Unfortunaly, I'm still vomiting and the medication isn't helping only putting me to sleep and I can't have that. To top it off my baby seems to be getting really fussy lately and my husband is just no help what so ever.

Valerie
3x HGer
VanessaEileen 04/24/98
Serenity 01/16/04
next due date 01/28/05
Valerie Cruz

Previous

Return to New to the Forums