checking in ...doing OK and have a question???

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

checking in ...doing OK and have a question???

Postby halgal427 » Jul 06, 2004 12:08 am

hey all,
i had a greay holiday weekend. i'm thinking it will be one of my last for this summer. i am still feeling good at 4 weeks. i will be 5 weeks on thursday and i am hoping to be OK until 6 weeks but preping for the worst. i will get the results of my blood work tomorrow. i am so worried that something is wrong with the baby. the are checking my hormone levels to see if the pg is healthy. i almost don't want to know if i am going to m/c ahead of time. i quess if my homone levels doubled things are good. i can't sleep. i'm so worried about so many things. i want this baby to be OK SOOOO bad but on the other hand i'm terrified of hg. this baby was a surprise but i love it and want it with all my heart. i also know that if i m/c i won't have another baby. i am used to the idea of 4. now i am almost countng on it. so anyway, i will post tomorrow and tell if this pg will last.

my questions are...how much b6 and unisom is OK i am taking 200mg total of b6 and no unisom yet. i am also taking folic acid and not sure how much of that either.

also how much zofran when (and if) the time comes? i was also wondering what you all think about zofran? i mean, it does help reduce the vomiting so that i can keeptiny amounts of fluid and food down BUT i am still a nasty hg mess due to the horrific nausea that the zofran doesn't touch. the doudle edged sword is that because the vomiting is reduced so my dr. tends to blow me off. sometimes i feel like i shouldn't take the zofran until he can see how bad i am and give me the fluids and care that i need to help with the nausea. the amount of food and fluid i can keep down is not enough to keep up my strength. especially this time to take care of 3 kids. it is enough to stay alive. i know that some hg woman here would love that but i still feel like it is unacceptable. i'm not sure what i should do? any advice would be great.
thanks so much and may hg have mercy on us all,
kim
edd 3/10/05
haley 4/96
devyn 11/99
isabelle 12/02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 06, 2004 2:38 pm

Hey, Kim - It's great to hear that you're still feeling well. And please, let us know what you found out with the blood tests today! Thinking of you!

Ok, Andy's got this info in the 1st Trimester folder, but I'll run through it here, too. For B6, the new recommended dosage is 150 mg/day, split up into three 50 mg. doses. I took 200 mg/day, and it's considered ok, though anything over 250 can cause long-term nerve damage. You may want to lower that if you're concerned. You can check with Motherisk.org for the latest info. on B6. Unisom is the blue tablets, and you can take up to 3 of those per day. You can break the Unisom up if you're worried about drowsiness, though it doesn't seem to affect many HGers that way. I did 1/2 tablets and popped them as needed to take the edge off the nausea. I'm not sure on the folic acid; Motherisk will have that info, though I'm sure your dr's office can answer that one over the phone, too.

Zofran is well worth a try. I started it the first iffy day when I had my first vomit but could still control it. Most women find that Zofran takes care of vomiting, but for me it just turned off the nausea. If you're still left feeling crappy even maxed out at 32 mg/day of Zofran, it's time to add in a companion. Remember that Zofran will not work if you are not hydrated, so if you need to add that into your plans (weekly clinic rehydrations, home health, etc) mention it to your doctor beforehand. Once you are hydrated and on Zofran, then experiement. There are so many options - Phenergan, Reglan, Compazine, Thorazine, Dramamine, meclizine, etc. You may have tried some in the past, but if you didn't have a terrible reaction, maybe give them another try in conjunction with the Zofran. Some of these are OTC, too, so you can try them on your own if your doctor's not available.

Hang in there; you're going to do great this time!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby halgal427 » Jul 06, 2004 10:03 pm

hey pamela,
i got the results today and my hormone levels are good. i quess this is really going to happen. i'm really glad. i'm also terrified. i woke up feeling really sick but after i ate i felt fine agian. i got queezy again in the car to the store but i hadn't eaten again and once i did i was fine. i am tired but doing great so far. i know that the hg starts at 6 weeks for me so i know that this normal m/s stuff is only temp.

i made a huge pot of turkey soup and froze it today. tomorrow i will make pasta sauce to freeze. i also offered my sister in law a full time nanny job. she is thinking it over. i am praying SO hard that she accepts it. it will be SO much better for my kids, they LOVE her. she would stay here and take the kids all day till dh gets home so i won't have to do anything. it will make this whole ordeal so much easier if the kids are well cared for. the stress will be off my dh too. if she doesn't do it i will find someone else. i am really nervous about that because i have never hired a babysitter before but i will be home so i'm sure it will all be OK.

thanks for the info. i actually found andy's post over in 1st trimester after i had already posted. i am interested in the quick dissolve b6. i am going to try to order it online. i am also going to try to start acupuncture. its worth a try.

i am going to move over to 1st trimester board but will check in over here often and hope to buddy up w/ someone.
thanks so much for all of your great advice. i'm sure i will be talking w/ you soon,
kim
edd 3-10-05
haley 4-96
devyn 11-99
isabelle 12-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 06, 2004 11:14 pm

That is wonderful news! :D

I hope everything falls into place and your SIL is able to help out. Just think how much easier HG will be without that stress! Well, maybe not, but better. And if you're starting nausea, now's the time to hit the Unisom. I bought myself an extra week with my last pregnancy by taking Unisom the second the nausea started stirring. I wish you the best, and I'll be following your progress through the Trimester Forums. I've got an HGer from Boston who'll be in touch with you soon. Hugs!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby carriedodson » Jul 18, 2004 9:06 pm

Hey Kim,

Just noticed our due dates are similar. Mine is 3-15. How are you feeling today? I am trying to stay out of the hospital and avoid the reglan pump. On oral zofran too, Hope you are feeling good!
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums