Baby #2..x2, HG-5W, new PICC, tears

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Baby #2..x2, HG-5W, new PICC, tears

Postby mom2matt » Jul 03, 2004 12:28 am

Hi everyone, Im new..shlby..Im lovingly married to my highschool sweet heart, and we have a handsome 2 1/2 year old boy.

I did have SEVERE HG (and 8 kidney stones) w/my son, we nearly didnt make it. (I refused a picc line-being a 'stoick'..ie dummy- 1st timer- and my dr. 3 years ago was not up speed on HG). I know have a new dr.

We lost a preg. in jan 04, and just found out we are pregnant. Know that my husband and I planned and prepared to deal with HG/K.stones...and then came the kicker..we are having TWINS!!! I am now nearly 11 weeks in. and have had HG since 5 weeks, its been a battle to be a mommy to my son ( I feel so helpless)
July 1, I broke down, got a PICC line..ouch!!! and have been on zofran for several weeks. I thought my picc was going to mean a couple of hours on a IV bag and than I would be 'back to normal'..not true (my hopes dashed along with serveral hours of crying)..Im on fluids 18 hours a day..this is not what I had hoped for..from being bed bound, and not being able to really care for our son, and dh doing everything except bathing me, Now Im tied to this pump..( I feel like my world is caving in..I used to be so busy with my family..and now..utter 'sickness' and sadness that there is no overnite fix')..
Please dont judge me..im tired ,sad, hurting, and depressed, and have been thru this before..and more with the kidney stones at 7 months..so I know the score already... the idea of trying to carry TWO babies thru this nightmare makes me cry when ever I think about WHAT might happen if they deliver early. (Ive read so much info on HG/Kidneystones and twins..)no matter what anyone says...mothers instinct...I just dont know..I just keep praying...but you all know how hard it is with just one baby...I dont know anybody in my shoes...(kinda makes me feel all alone even with a supportive family and friends.) Im so scared..and I tell everyone that..but nobody can 'fix this'
-I'll be ok.im just hoping sombody has some insight. bless you all,
Thanks for being here.
~shlby
Matt 10-3-01
mom2matt

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 03, 2004 1:49 am

Hi, Shlby, and welcome. Congratulations on TWO babies--wow! You are right in the middle of the worst of it now, and that's never a good place to be. We do have one HGer here with twins; you can find her in the 3rd Trimester forum.

I had a PICC with my last baby and loved it--so much better than peripherals for my tiny-veined self. Is the "ouch" because it's new? I slept in a recliner with a heating pad on my arm the first few nights, and that really helped with the pain. Are you getting just fluids, or TPN too? Many women work out a system of carrying their pump in a backpack so they're more mobile. I only ran mine for a couple hours at night, and I tried really hard to not have to pee or puke while it was running, but I can see where 18 hours is NOT what you'd envisioned. But you're at 11 weeks, and 10-14 is usually the lowest of the low as far as HG goes, so give it time and you may find that you are able to reduce the time you're running fluids.

Hugs to you; one worry at a time. Right now, get that PICC settled in, then figure out how to function more comfortably with it, then tell us all about what meds you're on and what worked/didn't last time, then we'll all be there to help you through the kidney problems and worries about early babies. One thing at a time; you can do this. If you'd like me to get you in touch with a volunteer from your area, just get me your email address. Hang in there!!!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby jjbeck » Jul 06, 2004 10:34 pm

HI shlby. I had the PICC too along with all of the usualy Hg meds. The only thing that helped me were steroids. If you are still suffering greatly, please consider this option. I now have a beautiful baby girl and dont hink I would have been able to make it w/o the steroids.
Good luck and take care.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby nicoles » Jul 09, 2004 12:01 am

Hi Shlby....I also had a PICC line with my pg. After a few days you will hardly even know it's there. Just make sure you are very careful with it and don't let anyone do anything with it without washing their hands. I had an infection in the hospital that I got through the PICC. We were very vigilant after that and it was fine. Also if you are going to have blood drawn from it, make sure they flush it out immediately. I also had it clot and had to have the line run again. That was not fun. Anyway, enough med talk. I hope the PICC will help you feel at least a little better. We are all here for you.
Nicole
Nicole
HG 1 time
Sarah 4/30/03
nicoles

Postby mhansell » Jul 10, 2004 7:57 pm

Hello

I'm sorry to hear your feeling bad. I had a picc line for both my sons. I don't get this thing about the IV running for just 18 hours. I had my IV running for 24 hours 7 days a week. This lasted to about week 13 to 14. but I hope you start feeling better soon and congratulations on having twins.

Mary
I survive 2 pregnancy enduring HG and I have two beautiful sons to prove it.
Christopher(2001)
Nicholas(2004)
DH Geoffrey
mhansell

twin question

Postby stephanie greene » Aug 05, 2004 4:12 pm

twins run in my family... are you more sick with twins? twice the hormones...I would love to have three children and know that I will not go through HG 3 times plus getting a little older blah blah blah anyway...sorta wishing I could have twins but wondered if I would be even sicker( not that I can decide anyway...smile)
so, hope you are feeling well and congrats on TWINS
Stephanie
stephanie greene
Welcomed Friend

Postby carriedodson » Aug 05, 2004 8:33 pm

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it is rough right now and you are not crazy to be worried and stressed. Try and take one day at a time. You can do this. One day at a time, though. Don't think about the weeks ahead or when you can get off PICC just try to feel better day by day. God has blessed you with a 2 1/2 year old and now two more. He obviously thinks you're a great mommy and wants to intrust you with more little ones. Hang in there, we are here if you want to talk.
Hugs,
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

hi

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 08, 2004 2:10 pm

Shlby,

Twins, wow, congratulations.

Don't know anything about twins and hg, but I think scared is TOTALLY normal after knowing hg at all, and you have the added fear of loss, which was recent, too.

You've found a supportive community at HER, and all of us will do anything we can to help you and your babies. (Have you gotten an hg buddy? I saw the thread and thought I'd mention it. As supportive as family and friends can be, there's nothing like someone who truly gets it.)

I will pray for you and your babies.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to New to the Forums