An introduction about me!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

An introduction about me!

Postby emily » Jul 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Hello everyone. I thought I would give a quickie intro and I will come back and add a bit more.

I found out that I was pregnant with my first child (lol only child to this point) on my 3rd wedding anniversary, December 14, 2000. I was very excited. And, I had just finished finals at college and thought I had the flu. Mmhm. By Dec 30th I was hospitalized due to complications with HG. I was given IV Zofran and was admitted overnight for IV rehydration. I was also put on a 2 week round of methylprednisone at this point. I felt okay, even pretty good for a few days.

By January 7th I was back in the hospital, this time for a one week stay. This is a long story, so I will add this back in later.

At 18 weeks I felt desperate for better care. I was doing much better at this time, but still not doing well by any means. I decided to switch doctors and my new doctor said she would refer me to a perinatologist. It was at this time I began seeing Dr. Winkler and Dr. Balderston at OHSU in Portland, Oregon. Being seen at a practice where I could get help any time of day, any day, it made me feel so much safer and cared for. I saw them several times during the last half of my pregnancy and I did pretty well. I was still sick, my face was often purple from broken veins from vomitting, but I was surviving.

I was induced at 40 weeks on August 20th, 2001. I had been dialated to 4 cm for nearly two weeks and had been hoping for an earlier delivery but no contractions. They broke my water, contractions galore, and a few hours later, my beautiful, 9 lb 12 oz daughter was born!

I have tried a lot of drugs out there. My HG was fairly severe, though others have had a worse time.

Okay, this is just my quickie intro. I will add much more as I have time.

Thanks!

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 02, 2004 6:12 pm

Hi, Emily, and welcome. Thanks for sharing your story. Isn't it amazing how such perfect, healthy little babies can come out of such suffering? Watching my 3 makes my head spin when I remember the hell I went through to get them here. So worth it! Are you considering another child? (The "to this point" tipped me off, lol!)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums