New to forum - Valerie

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

New to forum

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 01, 2004 2:53 am

:D Hello
This is my first time on this site and so far it has been very helpful in understanding what it is I am going through. I am a mother of two girls, a 6 year old and a 5 month old. I'm pregnant again, I'm about 3 months, and so far I have had HG with every pregnancy. I'm 24 and from a pretty small town (Delano, California). So far I have not met anyone that knows what this feels like. I really don't know what to expect from this either.
Valerie Cruz

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 01, 2004 8:27 am

Hi, Valerie, and welcome. This is a great place for support, no matter how many times you've been through HG. I'm going to split your post off into its own topic so more people will see and be able to respond. We're all new to this, and we're working out kinks as we go! But it will be helpful if you let us know about your previous HG pregnancies--they do tend to follow a similar pattern, so knowing how it went before will help predict what may happen this time. What treatments have worked, what didn't, and how long did your HG last? Make sure to check into the 1st Trimester Forum and tell your story--you'll get great ideas and support from others at your stage!

If you'd like a buddy, just e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll match you up with someone from your area. Best wishes to you, and I hope things progress smoothly from here. You're going to be a busy mommy with little ones close in age! :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

My story with HG

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 01, 2004 2:18 pm

With my first pregnancy I thought I was losing my mind, and I probably was. I hated for people to eat in front of me, I would literally tell people off. I thought I was dying. I was never put on any meds and I was told it all go away but when it didn't I was made to feel like I was overexagerating. Now I think I was delirious because I was basically starving. Not a thing stood down but I continued to eat hoping that I wasn't vomiting everything, and I could not think of abortion, beside the fact I was raised in an apostolic church. I waited five years before I became pregnant again. I was so afraid of going through the same thing because I didn't know of HG. I was hoping that my second pregnancy would be different, because everyone says they are. Unfortunately, it wasn't much better in the beginning. This time I had different doctors, I was being seen at a clinic. The doctors there were awful, the first doctor acted like he listened to what I said but I felt like it just didn't register. Then I went back a week later for my physical and I had another doctor who I automatically didn't like. I felt uncomfortable because of the way he touched me and because of the comments he made about my vagina. I tried to tell him how I was feeling and he just ignored me and kept talking, I was furious and I wanted to tell him off but I just didn't feel up to it. I was already feeling weak. I was scheduled for another appointment in another month and I was on my way. I knew what I was going through just wasn't normal but I was made to feel like it'll pass and again like I was just overexagerating. I went back to work, in a warehouse, and over the next few weeks I was losing so much weight and everyone was asking what was wrong that I didn't look good and that I should go see a doctor. Finally, when about three weeks past, I almost past out walking back from the bathroom and one of my supervisors stopped me. She told me that I really needed to see a doctor and how to go about getting gov't assistance, because of my income. She told me what doctor to see and gave me his number. I went home early. The next day I called to make an appointment, I was seen the same day and admitted into the hospital because I had lost over 15 pounds in 3 weeks. When I came home I felt so much better. But I was so depressed because of what I was going through and because at the time my brother had been shot. He was released from the hospital two days before I was admitted. So not only was I going to work, I was trying to be a good mother and aunt, I was also trying to be there for my only brother who had nearly died and I was alone because the babies father and I had a fall out. I remember I wanted to just die. I was taken off of work and had to go on disability, but I was totally alone. After being released from the hospital my first child went to stay with her father because he knew that I was going through alot. He would check on me and send her home for awhile in the afternoon. I was put on meds and they seemed to work with most foods and I started to keep the same weight. I was monitored weekly, when I was about four months, the doctor allowed me to go back to work under alot of restrictions and I had patched up things with the dad. Then I started having contractions at work and I was taken off of work again. This time I handled it okay and I was. I would still get sick but it was tolerable and if I started having contractions I just went to the hospital and they would give me something to stop the contractions. And Here I Am five months after my second child Pregnant Again. People think I'm crazy but I love my kids and they are so worth everything, even if it brings me close to death, which I was close to with the first delivery. I'm not on meds yet but I'm off of work, I'm about three months so when I go back to the doctor I'll most likely be perscribed something. I've already lost over ten pounds, I skipped an appointment this week, I was just not feeling up to it. But now that I've read the information on this site you bet I'll be making an appointment for as soon as possible.
Valerie Cruz

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 02, 2004 12:29 am

Hi Valerie,

Just wanted to know I'd read up here to be more familiar with your situation. :)

We'll do what we can to help support you through your pg. There are a few other women recently pg with young little ones, too, so you're far from alone.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 02, 2004 6:07 pm

Thanks, Valerie. Just knowing that HG has a name and it's real and not in your head is a huge help. Yes, definitely get in for a dr's appt. as soon as possible--the sooner you get treatment, the better you and your baby will do. Plus, if you wait until you're too sick and dehydrated, things get cloudy and you just can't think straight to get the best care. Hugs to you, and I'll be in touch regarding a buddy very soon!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 06, 2004 2:38 am

I had pressed the wrong button earlier don't know where my reply went but it's here somewhere. I've been reading some of these girls posts and I know how it feels to not be able to go on. How you just want to die. But even in my darkest hour I looked to GOD. And that was how I pulled through. I knew he had something good in store for me and I still believe I have more blessings coming my way. But I am really praying for these women I have never seen a website before where people give their experiences with professionals and have been so badly treated. My heart really goes out to all these women. I wish there was something that I could do. But I am only me, I will be praying though and the bible states that the prayers of two united in GODs name is more powerful than that of one alone. I don't know if there are many christians on this site but I hope that some will read this and join in my prayer that our health professionals, co-workers, bosses, and insurances will be better educated about Hyperemesis Gravidarum and realize that it is not a psychological disorder.
Valerie
Valerie Cruz

Return to New to the Forums