HG in the UK

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

HG in the UK

Postby Niki » Jun 30, 2004 7:25 am

Hi

I just wanted to say hello, share my story (for those of you who are UK related) and just generally keep in touch as I'm thinking of trying for Number 2 next year June. A long way away I know, but I really want my daughter to be a bit more self sufficient before Mummy locks herself in the bathroom for 9 months!

I fell pregnant in September 2003 and I can clearly remember my first vomit at 6 and a half weeks. I was so excited! I was experiencing morning sickness. Little did I know what I was in for. By 7 weeks when I couldn't get out of bed without vomiting, I began to get a 'little' concerned. Fortunately I had read about HG in a pregnancy book, so I had some inkling of what was wrong. I went to the Doctor, who was terribly sweet and suggested dry biscuits, small sips of water and some anti-nausea tablets for air travellers. A week later I went back with my husband (time to bring in the big guns). I had to sit outside in the garden in mid winter while waiting for my appointment because I was vomiting almost non stop.

The doctor was now a little more concerned - especially when I told him I was vomiting more than 20 times a day - and a day later after trying stemetil suppositries, I was in hospital.

For two weeks I was on a re-hydration drip. I wasn't actually that badly dehydrated when I got there, but I think when they viewed my non-stop vomiting, they decided to keep me in hospital. I was also by this stage in severe ketosis because I couldn't eat anything at all - except ice cubes which made me feel ever so slightly better. After 3 weeks in hospital on a saline drip, someone decided I needed some more sustenance and I was put on TPN. But my real life saver was a consultant doing his rounds late one evening, who witnessed me vomiting and vomiting. He prescribed Prednisolone (a steroid) which definitely seemed to help the uncontrollable vomiting. I was still vomiting - but it wasn't as severe, around 8 times a day at the most.

After a month in hospital, I was finally allowed home. I continued vomiting for the rest of my pregnancy (around 2 a day) and was terribly exhausted - but I managed to go back to work, although I wasn't very productive. :)

At 37 weeks I was induced with severe pre-eclampsia, and my 7 pounds 1 ounce little girl was born perfectly healthy. During that month in hospital I swore that I would never fall pregnant again and yet here I am a year later contemplating it. My husband and friends are convinced it won't happen again - but I know better and am determined to be prepared.

Your website is a wonderful find, and I plan to keep in touch and develop my own coping strategy formed from all your tips. Zofran sounds wonderful - I just hope it's available here. I would also love to hear from any UK HGers who either need support or have any advice or tips.

Thanks.

Niki
Niki

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 30, 2004 9:06 am

Hi, Niki, and thanks for sharing your story. Another steroid success--they work wonders for many women. I'm glad your story has a happy ending, and how exciting to be thinking about another baby. I think most women have the "never again" reaction after battling HG, and many do go on to willingly face it again (and again and again, in some cases). You're right to understand that HG will happen again...there's always the chance that you could be HG-free in another pregnancy, but odds are not in favor of that, and with the nature of the illness it's so much better to prepare for HG while you can. Research, read and get advice, and you'll be ready to go for that new addition!

We have a great forum for HGers from other countries, and the Preparation for HG forum will give you great advice. If you're interested in adding your name to the buddy list as a support volunteer, just send me an e-mail with your name. location, and e-mail address. Hugs to you, and best wishes.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Traci in Japan » Jul 01, 2004 8:31 am

Hi Niki

I was wondering if you wanted to copy your post to the Outside US forum as well. There may be more chance that it is seen by others from the UK. I don't know how well Jacquiline is at the moment but she would know more than me as to what is happening in the UK.

Thanks for your story and good luck with your preparations.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby mandy » Jul 06, 2004 8:23 am

Hi Niki,

Sorry to reply so late. I am from the UK too. I didn't fight very well to get good treatment. I had stemitil and iv rehydration and another drug I can't even remember (I would have took ANYTHING they would give me!). I have two children, two hg pregnancies. I just want to say, through experience, FIGHT to get good treatment. I feel we are dismissed here more easily by the medical profession. I wish I had asked for more help and known about drugs like Zofran. Maybe things would have been easier.
So glad you got the steriods.

I just wanted to say that it is worth another pregnancy (as that is your subject). I am sooooo glad I had another. It does take preparation of mind and body and it is good that you are thinking ahead. But, when that day comes that you are pregnant, if you have hg again you will get through it and hold the wonderful reward of a newborn baby, a sibling for your child. Goodluck! xxx
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Natalie » Jul 06, 2004 12:33 pm

Hi Niki

I am also from the UK.

Your experience sounds horrendous - much worse than mine. I stopped vomitting around 20 weeks, was fine for a couple of months but the nausea returned in the 3rd tri. At least I had a break for a few a while - yours (like many others) sounds relentless.

Anyway, I just wanted to say throughout my pregnancy, I promised myself I would get sterilised straight after the baby came because I NEVER wanted to be pg again. EVER. But, here I am almost 9 months post partum and I want another one. I have no idea how this change occurred. It must be the mists of time, rose tinted glasses those 8 weeks of nice pregnancy and the fact that I just love my baby girl soooo much I figure I need to dilute my love a bit with at least one more or I will suffocate the present one with too much love!!!

Anyway, we are also thinking about spring next year for ttc. If you are about, we can commiserate with each other!

Natalie.
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Return to New to the Forums