New to board

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

New to board

Postby nancyon3rd » Jun 14, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi. I'm Nancy and am on my 3rd preganancy, all with HG. This one started off mildly, but kicked into full gear within a few days. I am at 10 weeks now, and the HG showed up week 6. At 8 1/2 weeks i was went on zofran odt, and it worked for a few days. Then I was back to the vomitting. The nausea never subsided. After five days on Zofran, I stopped taking it because it wasn't making much difference. I am not vomitting every hour, as I was a couple of weeks ago, but still 6+ times per day. What are other options, aside from Zofran? I feel terrible for my two children who have to suffer through this with me, my oldest for the second time around.
Here's a strange question, perhaps-- has anyone tried psychotherapy or anything like that for the HG? I just don't know what else to do and am considering it now.
Thanks to all of you for starting and contributing to this site. It's nice to know I am not alone or crazy.
-nancy
sofia 9/17/98
eleanor 10/29/00
edd 1/08/05
nancyon3rd

Re: New to board

Postby MamaLily » Jun 14, 2004 10:20 pm

Nancy -

Hello and welcome! So glad you found this wonderful place for HG sufferers!

At 10 wks, you have lots of options! Unisom, B6, meclizine, IVs at home, steroids, benadryl, NG tube, etc. This website has a very comprehensive list of meds that are commonly used for HG: http://www.hyperemesis.org/mothers/trea ... ations.php I'm sure you will get lots of great ideas from the women here. You are in the right place!

There are women who have tried pretty much everything. Check out the "Alternative Treatments" forum here for more info.

Just want to encourage you to hang in there! I know you can make it!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 14, 2004 11:06 pm

Hi, Nancy. Sorry to hear you're having a rough time right now--hang in there! You're in the depths of it at this point, as you well know. How much Zofran were you taking? First of all, you need to be well-hydrated for Zofran to work. After that, most women need 32 mg/day at the worst, and even then it doesn't always cover all aspects of HG. You can pair with so many different options - phenergan, reglan, compazine, meclizine, dramamine, benedryl, and so on. You can also look into steroids; many women have good success with that route. If Zofran was kind of working, it may be wise to return to it, up the dosage, take it regularly, and add a companion drug. The ladies in the 1st Tri forum can give you specifics about dosages and other options. And you name it, someone here has tried it as far as alternative treatments go! Just browse around and ask questions as they occur to you. Good luck!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Lots of options

Postby amylds » Jun 15, 2004 11:27 am

Nancy,

Good luck! At ten weeks, forty seems like an eternity but you can make it. Are you on an acid reducer? Pepcid, as simple as that is, helped me a ton. Zofran stopped working for me this pregnancy at about 8 weeks. I think it was because I was too dehydrated. After I started getting IV hydration, IV zofran started controlling the vomiting again. The hydration made a HUGE difference. But, even the IV zofran didn't control my nausea so at 22 weeks I went on steroids. They're an amazing alternative option. I've tried lots of homeopathic remedies to no success but that doesn't mean they're not worth trying. The hardest part, I think, is definitely dealing with the guilt of feeling like you're neglecting your other kids--just try to use any support you have--friends, relatives, preschool, etc. to help them get interaction with other kids and people who can give them lots of attention.

Hang in there!! The biggest thing I've learned this pregnancy is that there are more options than I had ever realized, so keep looking for something that will work for you!

Amy (25 weeks into HG pregnancy #2)
HG survivor and crazy enough to do it again (and again).
amylds

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 16, 2004 11:35 pm

Hi and welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy. 10-13/14 wks is so hard! It's excellent news that you are actually not vomiting as often.

The other gals have given such great advice! I love my moderators. :)

Please know that you are not alone, and that children are very resilient. My mom was really sick w/ her 5th, and as I'm the oldest I was 9 1/2, and I don't really remember her being any different, yet she was on the couch sick with pneumonia for months. Your children will be ok, and have a sibling for life!

Hang in there, and reexamine your options. An IV and a kickstart back onto Zofran might help a great deal. B6 at your stage would be best sublingual or injected. It usually takes 2 weeks to kick in, but there's a post all about Zofran/B6/Unisom in the 1st trimester forum! I'll look for you there,

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to New to the Forums