2 amazing kids and contemplating another!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

2 amazing kids and contemplating another!

Postby mommies2loves » Jun 08, 2004 11:30 am

Hi all,

Oh I wish I had this board when I was pregnant with my first two. My first I had mild HG that lasted the entire pregnancy and a crappy Dr. I was lucky in retrospect that I was not as sick as I was with my daughter.

I had a second pregnancy which iI felt normal, heehee I can remeber having cravings and eating like pig. Talk about being in your head ~ that baby I lost at 13 weeks and it was determined that a fetus never really grew. It was a heartbreaking lose.

I got pregnant with my daughter right away within a month (starting ot on the wrong foot for sure). I started vomiting at about 4 weeks and lost 20 lbs in a little over 2 weeks. I ran the full gamat up to Zofran. I was not offered steriods etc. I was on TPN with a PICC line until 26 weeks. Although I vomited the rest of the pregnancy I remeber thinking it was more like a regular morning sickness would be LOL!!

Anyhow I would love another baby. My children will be 6 and 3 when we try again. I am scared but want to make sure I know this time before I get pregnant the course of treatments, and pray for new drugs.

My question to you all is am I being greedy and insane for wanting another? I am thrilled to see others with more than one child. Was your HG better or worse with the 3rd? Are there any new treatments in the works?

Thanks you all for sharing your stories you make me feel sane in a very insane experience.

For those suffering just you are further ahead being pregnant with this one than you will be if you terminate and try again. Soon you will have an amazing new baby, and all will be forgotten heehee til you get the flu that is LOL!

Thanks for reading
Yvette
mom to 2 and an angel

Now with my second I was severe HG, even contemplating ending the pregnancy even though as a pediatric nurse I have devoted my life to loving kids. My thought process was that each minute, that I lasted in this pregnancy
mommies2loves

Postby annie1005 » Jun 08, 2004 4:45 pm

Yvette,

Hi, and welcome to the board! You're not crazy for wanting another child; many women are willing to endure the suffering to have more children. It's a tough decision, though. I believe that good preparation beforehand can make it a little easier to get through.

I'm only on my 2nd pregnancy, so I can't provide you any info on a third pregnancy. But I did want to post and say hi. Also I wanted to thank you writing this: "For those suffering just you are further ahead being pregnant with this one than you will be if you terminate and try again." That really hit home for me.

Hugs,
Annie
annie1005

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 09, 2004 1:35 pm

Hi, Yvette, and welcome. As you may have noticed, many of us to have more than one or two children. I have 3 of the creatures myself, and I lost our first pregnancy at 12 weeks--sounds very similar to your loss, except I trudged through HG that time, too. But 3 are worth every second of it. Our baby is 18 months old now and it is magical to watch her interact with her siblings. My girls are really starting to play together (and make mischief), and our son adores his two little sisters (and getting them into trouble!)

If you have the ache in your heart for one more, and you believe you could handle it again, go for it--you will never regret trying for that 3rd baby, but you will regret not trying, someday. My HG got progressively worse with each pregnancy, but I got better and better at speaking up for myself, preparing for it, and dealing with it. My HG with Reilly came on fastest, but it also let up sooner (possibly because of good meds). It lasted much longer, but I was able to cope because I had been through it before. It can be managed--just give yourself time to prepare and analyze every little detail of life so you can help things run as smoothly as possible during your illness. Hugs to you, and best wishes!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 10, 2004 11:58 am

I, myself, miscarried that 3rd pg, and have decided that 3 pgs were enough for me! We'll adopt the rest, thank you very much! lol.

We adopted our 3rd, and will be adopting again, but in the meantime, I have been watching and supporting HGers for the last 3 years, and I've seen several 3rd, 4th, or even 5th time HGers going for that one more baby.

How come we're expected to turn off our desire for children because of HG?!? That just does not make sense. We're human women who have longed for a family and for children, and we're blind-sided by HG. Does that automatically mean that we're suddenly ok w/ only having one child?!? No way!

HG progressively worsens w/ every pg. It seems the fight to get control of the HG is harder because of this - not that it's impossible to get control over it, or to survive it, because HG is survivable (otherwise we wouldn't be here, and doing this again). HG seems to take it's toll emotionally sometimes. HG is just hard. Is it worth it to have the child? Of course it is, 1,000 times over. Do you walk away and forget? No, and with repeat HG, that becomes harder and harder to do.

So, you have to prepare, physically, emotionally, support, etc. I've seen over and over where an HGers desire for another child finally overcomes the fear of walking the path of HG again. The hardest part is being willing to get pregnant, and once that milestone is reached, being absolutely determined to make it to the end. Preparing protocols, knowing your drug options, having a supportive Dr., doing everything right, having emotional support, and not working, reducing your stress as much as possible all help - but it's still hard.

New drug options? Well, the steroids are an option you haven't tried, as is an NG tube vs. a PICC line, but moreso, it's being knowledgeable about the drugs you already tried to the point that you can make them most effective for you. Zofran is NOT a rescue drug, works best if you're hydrated well, and started when you're NOT vomiting! If you weren't given the highest dose in the ideal circumstances, it's worth trying again. B6 is best began before ttc, Unisom or Meclizine started at the first sign of nausea, Reglan (if you don't react badly) can help your stomach move things through more quickly, etc. Combinations work better than one drug alone. So many options!

Having another is one of the most personal decisions HGers can make, and ultimately you can only make it for yourself, but we can certainly help educate you on the way to your decision!

See you in the preparing for HG forums.

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

I did it

Postby burntcarmine » Jun 30, 2004 4:53 pm

I saw this topic and just had to post. The very first post I ever sent was just like yours. I had two and wanted another. Well she is 18 months now and not a single day goes by that I don't think or say how deeply deeply deeply glad I am that we had her.

Lucie is special sunshine in our family of three girls. The hg was easier because I knew so much more but the emotional strain of walking through it was the worst.

A third child is a special child, you know everthing and have dealt with the sibling issue along with the reality that subsequent children never quite get the same treatment as the first. You are settled into mothering... the third has a magic of enjoyment. I just enjoyed lucie... Its not that I dont' enjoy my first two I DO but the third child has been the easiest to have.

Everyone's needs and experiences are different but I just wanted to say that if your gut is telling you that there is a third child meant to grow under your heart.... trust that heart - it won't let you down no matter how hard it is. I speak to the desire for more children but others like Aimee would agree with me, that if you know in your heart that a child is calling to you... they will always be worth it, no matter how much they don't seem like it in the process.

good luck to you in your decision.
christina
Christina (Ch)
HG survivor x3
Mom to Junia (6) Emma (4), and Lucienne (18 mos) otherwise known as Lucie and when she's saucy she's Lola
burntcarmine

Postby LisaB32 » Jul 18, 2004 5:11 pm

Wow! Imagine my surprise when I saw someone asking MY question! LOL I am a two time HG sufferer, two beautiful boys--9 years and 15 months! I am also contemplating a third. I was FAR more sick with my second than my first. Zofran worked for me pretty well, only threw up a few times a day versus 15. :)

I also think I am crazy (and hear that response very often) when I think of going through it all again. But I have that ache for another one, just one more. My husband isn't so sure. LOL

I appreciate this site and Kimberly who helped me so much those long months. I know in the end it is worth it. I see proof every day. It's only 9 months, right? The big question is how many times can I stand hearing, "Just eat some crackers" again???? LOL

Thanks for this board and Yvette, let us know what you decide! :)

Lisa

Mom to :
Micah 5.18.95
Andre 4.9.03
LisaB32

Postby Guest » Jul 18, 2004 6:33 pm

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forums!

Lots of gals have been in your shoes. :) Feel free to check out all the information this website has to offer, and the preparing for HG forum as well. I hope to be adding more info there before the end of summer, and be sure to look at all your options. That'll help you decide which decision is best for you. Hopefully, all of the support you'd get here would help to counteract the cracker comments.

BTW, our vent folder is aptly named, "I got crackered." I thought you'd like that!

Hugs, Andy

Postby kirsty » Jul 24, 2004 3:54 am

I am also in the same boat!I have 2 kids and want more, but I know from my second pregnancy how much harder it is to cope when you have another child to contend with. But I do think I find motherhood a bit of a breeze because of the HG. after 9 months of hell, the sleepless nights, spilling, nappies, tantrums, and endless questions are a piece of cake! :lol:
I am in New Zealand, and there do not seem to be as many options when it comes to drugs. iv and maxalon were all I got both times.
is there anyway to get them sent over?
I wil be trying again next year (I want one xmas without puking :D)
I always wanted to be a mum to 4, and I'll be dammed if HG will beat me!
Kirsty
kirsty
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 24, 2004 9:25 am

Welcome, Kirsty! I know that feeling of needing to complete the family you've always dreamed of. For me, the number was 3, and though we struggled mightily with the decision to face HG again and have #3, I am so thankful we did. "Content" is the only word to describe it. I went through HG 4 times, but it was all so worth it so get my little bratlings here. :)

I don't know of any active New Zealanders here, but the Australians have similar med options and limitations, so they will be a great source of info. You can order some things through mail, and we also find ways within our group to get meds where they're needed. So research with an open mind and ask if there's something you're interested in but can't find at home. I hope you find support and inspiration here, and I look forward to hearing of a new pregnancy for you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums