Can't take thsi anymore

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

One day at a time..

Postby Got2bmaemae » Jun 17, 2004 11:59 am

Shin,
I am soo glad you have found support here and have found Zophran/B6 etc.. Having HG two times, I know 9 months seems like eternity.
But one day at a time you can get through this . One hour, sometimes One minute at a time. And guess what IT WILL get better. 9 months from now poof the HG is gone. Yes it may get better before than but for me I focused on one day at a time and I focused on... this is not forever... this will be over... I also focused on my goal my daughter. That is what kept me going minute by minute... Hang in there it is soo overwhelming and so frustrating when you have a doctor that doesn't understand. I agree with the others... it is worth the drive In fact with my first HG pregnancy I switched doctors and He was 45 minutes away. The care they gave me was well worth the travel. He looked into things my first doctor hadn't even considered..
He was gentle and not condensending. In fact we audiotaped our delivery. We have his voice speaking gentle words to my daughter on the tape. It brings back wonderful memories of a wonderful doctor admist a tramatic experience.... We are there for you... one day at a time....
-Megan
Got2bmaemae

Postby shin » Jun 17, 2004 6:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update. The nausea/vomiting is slightly better. However, I'm still pretty nauseaus. Also, I am starting to have these terrible chest pain on the left side exactly just under my left breast. It's so painful, I can't take normal breaths of air. I can only take short and shallow pants. Every now and then, when I have to take a deeper breath, I have to do it very slowly. It feels like knives are going through my chest. Do you think it might be dehydration? Does anyone have any ideas about what that is?

I found out from a girlfriend who's friend used John Hopkins Hospital and they were very unhappy with the care they received, so I am hesitant about calling the doctor from Hopkins. I just don't know what to do. I also had a terrible expreience with a perinatologist from Hopkins with my 1st pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes and was put on insulin and during the last 3 months of my pregnancy, she only called me back once to change my insulin levels!!! I called and called her secreatry literally begging the doctor to call me back and she never would. My levels never got low enough and my baby ended up in NICU for a week for hypoglycemia. That, with the negative feedback I have heard from a couple of people about Hopkins has me worried. And now I don't know what to do with these chest pains, since my current doctors treat me like crap already. I guess I could hold out until next Tuesday, that's my next appointment. Thanks for helping me out so much, you guys are great.
shin

Postby Lil7Deb » Jun 17, 2004 6:48 pm

Shin- Sounds like you're having a hard time. Can you take someone with you to your appointment so they can help counter the negativity? Can someone call the dr's office to bug them until you get what you need?

I know how bad it is to deal with crappy dr's, it's very frustrating. I ended up having to switch because of their stupidity. It's very frustrating.

I hope some of the other ladies have some suggestions for you. Good luck.
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby Gail » Jun 17, 2004 9:00 pm

Shin-
I feel so bad for you. I don't know if Annapolis is to far for you, but that's where my Dr's are. It's a large group of them. Yhere's one that I particulary like. She doesn't specialize in hg but she was very helpful for me the last two times an very understanding as well. Recently she has refered me to a perinatologist since i'm considering ttc again. I haven't met w/ him yet though. I'd be glad to get their names and numbers for you if your intersted. Just email me :lol:
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content---Bob Dylan
Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 18, 2004 9:51 am

A more local option for you may to be to call your local hospital that you are already preferring. Talk to the Labor and Delivery Head Nurse. Tell them you have Hyperemesis, and are looking for a new Dr. (don't tell them who you are already with), and from what she knows, what Drs. are the best treaters of HG there? Who do the nurses who work there go to?

I have mild asthma that acts up from time to time, and your breathing issue sounds exactly like when my asthma acts up. Do you have a primary physician that could see you about this? There's a good chance that this is not related to the pg, so you shouldn't have to hold to seeing your OB, who really is just an OB! Mine only lasts a few minutes, but if yours lasted long enough to post about, you should really consider being seen sooner.

How much B6/Unisom/Zofran are you on?

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Jun 18, 2004 10:16 pm

Shin -

I really think it still might be worth calling those doctors at John Hopkins. Even if your friend had a bad experience, it's very possible that one of these doctors will be just the right one for you! I definitely think it's worth a shot.

If you want to go elsewhere, calling L&D is a good idea. Once you get a recommendation for an OB, call his/her office and tell them your history. Talk with the nurse (or doctor!) if possible. Tell them your situation and your HG history. And then ask the nurse if he/she thinks the doctor will be able to help you. If the nurse says, "no," then ask where they send their high-risk patients. This is how I recently found a GREAT doctor for me. It's worth a try!

Hang in there and let me know how I can help!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 18, 2004 10:50 pm

Hi, Shin - I'm so glad to hear from you again! Congratulations--you're hanging in there, and every day is a day closer to your goal.

You mentioned chest pains, and your description sounds exactly like what I went through with my last 2 pregnancies. It only happend 1x near the end of my 3rd pregnancy, that squeezing pain; I really thought I was having a heart attack! But it went away and didn't recur, so I just figured it was "palpatations" mentioned so often in pregnancy. Then, I started having the chest pains very early in my 4th pregnancy. We figured it was either hormonal or maybe the baby compressing something, and I just waited until delivery for the pains to stop. But they didn't. Finally, at 4 months post-partum, I was having the squeezing pains multiple times per day, so I went in to my doctor. We never did find a definitive answer, but we belived that I must have developed lesions on my lung from pneumonia as a teenager, and that these lesions had adheared to my chest wall. For some reason, probably due to all the vomiting of HG and my last baby being transverse and putting different pressure on me, those lesions had begun to rip away, and that was what was causing the pain. I still have episodes of the squeezing, but now I just take painkillers and it goes away.

Mention this to your doctor; have they do an EKG to rule out any heart problem. I also had a chest x-ray done post-partum to rule out any infection, but I don't know if they do that with pregnancy. It's a very quick and painless process, and it will put your mind at ease about what's going on with your heart. Good luck to you - I really think you should look into Johns Hopkins. Could the care get any WORSE than what you're getting now?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Tatouche » Jun 19, 2004 10:51 pm

Sorry to hear about your boss and your Dr. I had a great Boss and a so-so Dr. I was hospitalized 4 times and lost 25 pounds with my daughter, I thought of suicide and terminating the pregnancy and everything else, however, on week thirteen, things where much better. I vomited up to the end of my pregnancy but nothing like what happened between week 8 and 13. Can you believe I am pregant again after swearing that I would never do it again. Just looking at my daughter makes me want to hang in there. One day it will all be a memory, a painful one but still a memory. I really hope you feel better.
DH: 32
DD: 5/8/02, 7 weeks on IV and incapable of eating or drinking. Better at 14 weeks but vomiting up to end of pregnancy.
No2 due in February 2005
Tatouche

Postby emily » Jun 23, 2004 11:13 pm

Dehydration can cause heart palpatations, but it could be other things, so definitely get it checked. I third the calling Labor and Delivery. That is how I found my perinatologist. I was hospitalized for dehydration and the peri's nurse happened to have picked up a shift. When she saw how sick I had gotten and my lack of care, she sat down and talked to me about my options and who I could see. She was a lifesaver. Truely. A big part of me wishes I could go back to Portland to have my next baby....
emily
Devoted to You

Pain under ribs

Postby Got2bmaemae » Jun 27, 2004 4:28 pm

Shin,
I experienced sharp pain under my rib as well with both of my pregnancies. YES it may have to do with dehydration... I heard a report saying most americans are slightly dehydrated and don't even know it. It listed the signs. None of which my OB considered. Dehydration makes throwing up worse. Catch 22. In retrospect I would forced more fluids or demanded an IV.
At the time I attributed the sharp pain to my acid reflux. But after meeting several women who had their gallbladders removed. I concluded my pain was due to my gallbladder.
All that throwing up, acid reflux etc..and stress of HG on my system caused my gallbladder to go into shock. Not as serious as heart pallipitations. Just another two cents to add.
Keep taking it one day at a time. It does get better, it does get better :)
Got2bmaemae

Postby shin » Jun 29, 2004 9:27 am

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update you. On Sunday, I woke upwith excessive vomiting immediately and then I started having painful contractions every 10 to 15 minutes. It felt like knives going through my stomach. I had my doctor paged and he told me to sit in a warm bath and that it was probably because of the vomiting. My husband finally said "screw that", you're going to the hospital. There, I found out I was extremely dehydraydated and my condition was termed "threatened miscarraige". They wanted my docotr to come to the hospital, but he apparantly refused. The ER doctor explained to me that they cannot do anything if I start to miscarry because I am only in my 15th week. The next day, I went to my doctor's office (I was still having contractions but not as bad). He explained that the dehydration caused the cramping. He did not give me bed rest so I am at work today. The cramping seems a little better, but my husband thinks I should be at home. Should I try to get a doctor's note. I want to switch doctors, but the timing is bad. I have my amnio in a few days and I don't want all the paper work screwed up (has happened before). What are your thoughts? Thanks for helping!!!
shin

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 29, 2004 12:04 pm

Sorry to be blunt but my opinion is that your doctor sucks! He refused to come to the hospital?!? Well, maybe that's his standard protocol, but that seems dumb to me. Praise to your husband for taking good care of you and insisting you go to the hospital.

Switching doctors might be a pain, but it also might be worth it. Sorry I can't give you better advice. Hopefully someone else will have some good insight. I just wanted to give you my support.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 29, 2004 2:02 pm

Hugs to you, Sweetie! I'm so sorry for the scare; we do hear that here often, dehydration causing contracting. Scary! I'd definitely stay home--you cannot gamble with your baby's health now that you've come so far to get him or her here! And honestly, screw that doctor. He absolutely is not fit to care for you (or any other non-textbook pregnancy). Let this be the impetus you need to move on. I know you've got the option of switching to another hospital; call and say you need a re-check after an emergent situation in your high-risk pregnancy. Or if you really don't want to switch practices, call the ER/maternity ward from the other night and speak to a nurse who cared for you--ask if any orders were given as to returning to work for you, then explain how scared and frustrated you are and how you wish you could find an understanding doctor...nurses usually have great insight, and if you work the angles right you may get a recommendation for someone at least human in the practice you're in now. I really hope you can get the care you deserve--you've still got a long ways to go before that dear baby is ready, and you cannot afford the added stress of a moron doctor. Let us know what you decide!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby MamaLily » Jun 29, 2004 2:55 pm

Shin -

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you are not doing well and that your doctor is sooooooo unfit to treat anyone with HG!

PLEASE find a new doctor. I want you to know that there are good doctors out there who really do know what to do with people who are sick. There are doctors who won't let you get the point of "extreme dehydration" and "threatened miscarriage." Your baby is worth doing whatever it takes to find a new doctor!

It sounds like your husband is really with you with this pregnancy...I think you ought to trust his judgment as far as your health in concerned. I'm sure he'd be happy to make calls to help you find a new doctor. Also, if you're still not feeling well today after going to work, maybe you ought to stop by the ER for some fluids. With any luck they will admit you and you can find a new doctor! :)

Do you want me to make some calls for you? I really would be happy to do it...please just let me know! I understand that the MFM doctors I found are at John Hopkins and you are worried about some bad experiences of your friends, but I believe with all my heart that these MFM doctors will be 1,000 times better than your current quack. I think I might actually be better than your current doctor - and I haven't taken a biology class since junior high school!

Hang in there. I'm thinking about you and am willing to do what it takes to help you find someone who will take care of you and your baby. Let me know!

Lots of big hugs...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby shin » Jun 29, 2004 4:55 pm

Oh Anna,

I would be ever so grateful for your help! Would you mind calling them for me? I just don't feel up to it. Thank you so much. Let me know if you need my phone number or email address.
shin

Postby MamaLily » Jun 29, 2004 9:46 pm

Shin -

I should hopefully have time to call tomorrow...hopefully in the morning. I'll let you know what I find as soon as possible.

Here is what I'll tell them (if you have any changes, please write back as soon as you can):

- You are 15 weeks along
- You have HG and are NOT being taken seriously by your doctor
- You have responded well to the combination of zofran/unisom/B6
- You were recently in the ER for cramping related to "extreme dehydration" & they said you were "threatened miscarriage"
- You need to be seen immediately by a doctor who knows something about HG

Anything else? Oh, if you could e-mail me your name and phone number, that would be helpful. I don't think they'll make an appointment for someone I only know as "Shin," LOL! :lol: And I may need the name of your insurance provider.

- Anna

P.S. Shin, I want you to know that I'm happy to call for you. But I also want to say that I think it's much better if your husband could call. He's familiar with your day-to-day symptoms and he's the one who has been with you in the ER. I always think it's good for someone close to you to speak with your health care providers. So, if he's up to it, I think that is definitely the best option. I strongly urge you to talk him into it, if you can. BUT - I'm very willing to call. Let me know. Hang in there!
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby shin » Jun 30, 2004 9:57 am

Hi,

I think you are right. I will have my husband call. I just am too stressed to deal with it, and he should be the one doing it. THanks for you help.
shin

Postby MamaLily » Jun 30, 2004 1:55 pm

Shin -

Please let me know how it goes. If you still need me for any reason, let me know. I am here for you!

Hang in there! I have a feeling things are going to start getting better for you. (And I know a new doctor will really help.)

Great big hugs...

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby shin » Jun 30, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with someone from Hopkins and there are 8 doctors in the practice. You never know who your appointment will be with, and you never know who will deliver your baby. You get whoever is available at the time. When I asked if I could meet or speak with one of the doctors before I switch, I was told I'd have to wait 3 months because they are very busy. Now why would someone even tell me that?!

My boss has been terrible to me at work. He deosn't actually say anything, but his tone is cold and nasty to me and he keeps giving me dirty looks. I think I am losing my mind. I started to cry today and became hysterical - I couldn't stop. Between the vomiting, nausea, cramps, crappy doctors, nasty boss, I have more than I can handle. Now I have managed to catch my son's diarreha bug that he brought home from daycare. I have caught everything this pregnancy from several somach virus's, the flu, hand foot and mouth disease, and now this. I am thinking again about terminating. I feel suicidal, like I can't take another. I just don't understand why I can't get a break.
shin

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 30, 2004 9:15 pm

Hugs to you, honey. Hang in there--you have made it soooooooo far; don't give up now! You sound dehydrated again--it makes things so cloudy and out of focus, and it's easy to get swallowed up in it. Please, have your husband take you on a little trip to the ER, and this time refuse to leave until you have an actual human being with feelings AND a medical degree look at you and agree to treat you. I'm serious--park it in there and settle in for a long haul; cry and throw a fit if need be until someone takes you seriously and gets you a real doctor. You are not alone; do not hesitate to let us know if you need anything. Please, be good to yourself and get to the hospital for some fluids!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to New to the Forums