Can't take thsi anymore

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Can't take thsi anymore

Postby shin » Jun 07, 2004 1:02 pm

Hi,

I am 13 weeks pregnant and am seriously considering terminating my pregnancy. I had a terrible 1st pregnancy, and my 2nd is turning out to be even worse. My boss hates me because I am always sick at work, and I've missed a lot of work, and I am so miserable, I sob into paper towels at my desk all day long. I don't think I can take it. I wanted so much to give my son a brother or sister, but I can't handle this. I feel so alone and scared. I don't know how to handle this. I feel suicidal at times. I just don't know what to do. Medications are either ineffective or make me so drowsy I can't get to work. My doctor seems irritated with me. I can't take it....
shin

Re: Can't take thsi anymore

Postby MamaLily » Jun 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Shin -

I am so sorry to hear that you are so sick and so discouraged. HG is so horrible! I'm glad you found this forum...I know that it will make a huge difference for you!

What meds are you taking right now? Has your doctor mentioned steroid treatment? Let us know what you have tried.

I want you to know that I understand how horrible you feel. HG was the hardest thing I have ever endured. My thoughts are with you!

- Anna

P.S. I don't know if you're interested, but I'm positive that we could find a doctor who won't be annoyed with you. If you'll let me know where you live, I can hopefully find a doctor for you who knows more about HG...Let me know!
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby shin » Jun 07, 2004 2:10 pm

Hi Anna,

Thanks so much for your kinds words and support. I live in Maryland. I looked at your list of states for doctors and didn't see Maryland available. Please let me know if you know of one.

I have tried phenergan, Tiban (sp?), Reglan and am trying to get some Zophran. The phenergan made me drowsy and anxious, the Tiban didn't do much, neither did the Reglan. My vomiting level is not as much as my 1st pregnancy, but it is much more intense when I do vomit. I vomit at least 2x per day, sometimes more. I even have woken up vomiting. The nausea is terrible. When I am not throwing up, I am literally on the verge of throwing up all day from morning to night. It is so debilitating. My doctor just keeps blowing me off and I feel at the end of my rope. I am so glad I found this site. At least I feel less lonely already.

Thanks again for you help and support.

Shin
shin

Postby MamaLily » Jun 07, 2004 2:15 pm

Shin -

We need to find you a new doctor! Please let me know the city where you live, and if there is a hospital you prefer. I can hopefully find someone who won't dismiss you...I'm sorry that you haven't had the good treatment you deserve!

I can't believe that you haven't been given Zofran yet! It's probably the medicine that works best across the board for HG sufferers. A lot of HGers use Zofran along with Unisom and B6 or along with Meclizine. There are so many options and combinations out there to try! I have hope that one of them will work for you.

Hang in there - at least until I can find a new doctor for you! I know how debilitating and horrible the nausea is. We're all here to help you through this!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby shin » Jun 07, 2004 3:28 pm

Hi Anna,

I live in Elkridge, MD. And I like Howard County Hospital. That's where I had my son. I was wondering, do you think the Unisom will make me very sleepy? That's a big problem I've had.

Here's the latest with my doctor. She told me on Friday that if the Reglan doesn't work, to call the office Monday and that she would call in the Zophran. Well, I called and she is off until Wed! The other doctor in the practice won't write me a prescription at all, and this is after I left a message saying that I have spent the morning heaved over a garbage can at work. He told me to go to a chinese herbalist, but that I won't be able to get an appointment this week. I swear, I think I am losing my mind. I really feel like I am. I feel like I am in round room and someone keeps telling me to find the corner. Thanks so much for listeng to me!
shin

Postby MamaLily » Jun 07, 2004 3:46 pm

Shin -

This is crazy. All due respect to chinese herbalists aside, I think you are definitely NOT with the right doctors.

From what I can tell, Howard County Hospital doesn't have any perinatologists. There are several in Baltimore...is that too much of a drive? Here are four names that I found - all in Baltimore. Please call, tell them your situation, and see if anyone call help you immediately. Tell them that you have hyperemesis and you are not being treated properly. Ask if they will call you in some zofran before you come see them. They probably won't do this, but it's worth a shot! These four doctors are in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, so they know a lot more about pregnancy complications than regular OBs (and esp more than your OBs!).

I'll keep looking for doctors closer to you...I have to run but I'll check back later. If you get this message today, give these offices a call this afternoon. Maybe you can at least talk with a nurse or schedule an appointment.

Yes, the Unisom will make you sleepy. Look in the 2nd Trimester folder here - there is a post about Unisom/B6/Zofran. It's very helpful. Unisom might be worth taking at night, if you're worried about sleepyness during the day.

Good luck! You're going to find that corner of your round room soon! :wink: We've all been there!

- Anna

1 - Dr. Karin J. Blakemore Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Baltimore 410-955-6207
2 - Dr. Ernest M. Graham Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Baltimore 410-955-3187
3 - Dr. Edith Gurewitsch Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Baltimore 410-955-8297
4 - Dr. Frank R. Witter Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Baltimore 410-955-6293
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby annie1005 » Jun 07, 2004 5:21 pm

Dear Shin,

I'm so sorry that you are having such a rough time! I definitely agree that you need a new Dr., and fast! I, too, am on my 2nd HG pregnancy with the second more debilitating than the first, and I too thought about termination and at times even felt suicidal. HG makes you feel bad like nothing else I've ever known, and even though the baby may be wanted, the HG is definitely NOT WANTED!

Another possibility that you can try is B6/ Unisom combo (both available over the counter). It did seem to ease the nausea/vomiting that was still left even after taking zofan and phenegren. The Unisom (even though a sleep aid) did not make me sleepy like the phenegren did, and the b6 actually seemed to give me a little "pep" (if you could call finally being able to walk across my own house and actually being able to make myself a small meal without vomiting "pep"). If you look under the "Second Trimester" board there is a posting on it that has details about dosing, etc. Also, if you look under "treatment" and then "common medications" on the home page of this website, you'll see that there are many medication and treatment options to try. You can also take a trip to the ER for IV fluids if you are feeling dehydrated; getting some fluids may help you feel a little stronger. Maybe you'll even get lucky and they'll give you some nausea meds through the IV.

I think you need more aggressive treatment, and you need a more responsive doctor. My heart goes out to you. Please know you're not alone.

Hugs,
Annie
annie1005

Postby shin » Jun 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Thank you so much everyone, for the advice and support. I will look into those doctors tomorrow and will give a Unisome a try. It helps so much just to be talking with people who truly understand. I fI hear about it all the vomiting and nausea ending any day, or how this is a sign of a healthy pregnancy, or how I need to eat crackers in bed, I will tear my hair out. All of you understand how truly horrible and debilitaing this is. Thanks so much for you help. I will let you know how things turn out.

Hugs to all,
Shin
shin

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 07, 2004 7:40 pm

Hi, Shin. You're at a crucial point right now--a couple more weeks may make a huge difference in how you feel. You've come so far; my thoughts will be with you as you cope with this terrible time.

First of all, HG is typically worse with each subsequent pregnancy. Most women feel worse with #2, so you're completely normal here. What is not normal is the inadequate care you're still receiving. I know Anna is trying to help you find a different doctor, but in the meantime you can take charge of your own treatment. Demand Zofran. It really is the first choice for most HGers. If your insurance company won't authorize because of cost, ask about an infusion pump, which is normally covered much more easily. There are over-the-counter medications you can try on your own while you work with the Zofran. Unisom is the most common, and it seems that a body battling HG is immune to the drowsiness. Start by breaking the tablets into 1/2 or even 1/4, and go from there. Meclizine worked wonders for me with my last pregnancy. It is over the counter, and you can do 75 mg/day along with Zofran or whatever antiemetic you're taking. The catch here is that you must be well-hydrated for these meds to have full effect. If your body doesn not have enough fluid, you will not find effective treatment. Has your doctor been checking for ketones in your urine? When I was very dehydrated I always found myself weepy and despondent--like my brain was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. We've all had hopeless times, but they do pass. Please demand treatment for yourself and your baby. Your doctor is not taking you seriously, and it's no wonder you feel desperate. Hang in there--better days are coming.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

TO SHIN---

Postby HdGAMom2B » Jun 08, 2004 6:21 am

Shin, I read your post,a nd I see you'rein MD! ME TOO! I"m in harford County... Listen, e-mail me... I have a list of Dr.s Here... one that I woud like to see also... University of Maryland has this one guy, I wanna go see him, Dr. Weiner... hang on...

Dr. Carl Weiner, M.D.
1-800-492-5538

It's universitry of Maryland... he looks good. I'm going to try and see him. It's worth a try...

We'r ein this together. If I could give you any advice it woudl be, DO NOT GIVE UP. You are 13 weeks along, and i know that pain. I terminsated after 11 weeks, was exactly in your shoes... you can do this.

Please e-mail me, i'd love to talk to you. We're in Maryland together....I'm here.

Christy
2cward@comcast.net
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby shin » Jun 08, 2004 8:33 am

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to hold out until I can get the zophran tomorrow. I will try the unisom today. The last time I spoke to my doctor, she actually had the nerve to say "how many more babies are you planning on having?!" in a complaining tone. I felt so humiliated. I am going to try to see one of the doctors listed above. You guys are right. These doctors are not taking me seriously. It's like they I am complaining about nothing. I've lost 10 pounds and no one has checked my keytones or anything. At my lst appointment my doctor said "well, SOMETHING's staying down, or you'd be losing more weight". And she is a female! I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much for helping me hang in there and not feel so alone. You are all a God send.
shin

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 08, 2004 6:39 pm

I second everything everyone else said. I also agree with annie to try going to the ER for some IV fluids, and hopefully some Zofran. I know ER visits can be expensive, but it might be worth it. The first time I had Zofran was through and IV (it was AMAZING! I feltt sooo much better). When I went to the ER, they also gave me an actual prescription for Zofran tablets that I got filled right at the hospital so I went home with Zofran to take. That would hold you over at least until your dr. gets back in town.

Of course the Zofran is not guaranteed to work for everyone, but it does work for a high percentage of HG sufferers.

It sounds like you've gotten some suggestions with the Dr. situation. Hopefully you can find a better one. Hang in there! You're not alone. I know it's much easier for me to say now that I am not pg anymore, but it does end.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Jun 08, 2004 8:25 pm

Shin -

I wanted to see how today went. Any luck with the Unisom? Or with a new doctor? I'm really hoping that zofran will help you, when you finally get it. Hope today was a little bit better...you deserve it!

Keep hanging in there!

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 09, 2004 1:42 pm

Hi, Shin - Just wondering how you're doing? Did the Zofran work out? Most women need 32 mg/day at the worst of it, and you can decide to go down as needed later.

If I was closer to DC I'd march in and kick that doctor's butt! Absolutely inappropriate. I am so sorry. :( But you can do this - please get in contact with Christy or someone in your area for support. It's hard to think in the fog of HG, and having a clear head removed from the immediate situation can really help. Hugs to you, sweetie, and please let us know how you're doing!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby shin » Jun 10, 2004 7:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I think that the nausea is getting better. I am actually able to keep some food down and more importantly, I have been able to keep a little liquid down. I got the Zophran and will take some tonight. I am at work right now, and I am afraid of how I will react the 1st time. But, I think the HG has actually aleviated a bit. I really want to thank all of you for your support and help. I know I couldn't make it without all of you. You have no idea how close I was to terminating this pregnancy. And it has been such an uplifting experience to finally be communicating with some women who know and understand exactly what I am going through. God Bless You All!!! I will keep in touch and let you know how things are going.
shin

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 10, 2004 12:38 pm

The only bad reaction to taking Zofran has been constipation, otherwise, take one now! lol.

Unisom taken in 1/2 and 1/4 doses throughout the day really reduce the drowsy effect, and it lessens over time w/ HGers.

Meclizine is available w/o an RX from the pharmacist - you can literally get a bottle of 100 for $10.00, all you have to do is ask.

You are literally at the peak of HG, at the very very worst. Most HG doesn't get better overnight, but will not be as severe as at the very worst peak, and you're at it right now. How did your first pg progress at this point?

Now, you're going to need to give yourself a few days of trying each day to get more liquid in. All these meds will work better and better for you as you are more and more hydrated. If you can, clear your weekend to work on small frequent snacks (or start now) w/ liquids separate, take your B6/Unisom/Zofran (yes you can take them all together, and they actually work better as a combination) and conscientiously get more fluids in each day. You can have someone get you ketostix at like Walmart that will let you know if you have ketones in your urine. Getting an IV if you need one really helps! You feel so desperate and like you cannot go on because you are dehydrated.

Another Dr. option is for you to call your favorite hospitals Labor and Delivery department, and ask them who their favorite Dr. for HG is. They should know who is the best. That might be a local option for you if the others are too far away. Just take one thing at a time, and don't give up hope. We're all here for you, and there are options that will get you through!

Huge hugs, and hang in there,

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Jun 10, 2004 2:02 pm

Shin -

Glad to hear the past day or two has been better. I'll be curious to see how you feel after taking the zofran...hopefully it will really help you! Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!

- Anna

P.S. What are your thoughts about finding another doctor? Any luck?
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby shin » Jun 11, 2004 9:27 am

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am to all of you. The Zophran/Unisome/B6 combo is very helpful and I am trying to take in as much fluids as I can. I called the doctors that are listed by Anna and they all deliver at Johns Hopkins, which is a good 45 minutes away from where we live. I don't mind the drive, but I am a little worried in case of an emergency. The doctors I have now (2 in the practice) obviously don't care about me, I am just a number to them. But I am feeling better, maybe not to the point that I feel great, but the meds have taken the "edge" off a little, and I feel less like I MUST terminate (which is incredible in and of itself). Do you think I shuld go ahead and switch? What if they care as little as the ones I have now? I sure could use your adivce. Thanks! Shin
shin

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 11, 2004 10:56 am

I'm so glad you're getting some relief from the B6/Unisom and Zofran! Hooray! As for switching doctors, I say go for it. I live in a rural area, and we have no choice but to drive 45 minutes to the nearest hospital! You just make sure your doctor knows the distance involved, and if delivery looks eminent, they will either admit you or keep a very close watch. You can always deliver at another closer hospital in an emergancy situation--at that point, you won't care WHO delivers, and HG will be the furthest thing from your mind!

If you'd like to look into switching, I'd call the office of the new doctor and lay it all on the line. Tell the receptionist you're pregnant now and suffering with HG, that it's a repeat pregnancy and you've been getting minimal care and need adequate attention. If the OB will call you back, odds are great that he or she is a good choice. Ask about HG treatment--will they combine antiemetics? Will they hospitalize for dehydration or use home health services? Will they consider steroid use? If you get favorable answers, or at least an indication that the doctor is willing to work with you, go for it. You know by now who takes you seriously and who doesn't, and let your inner radar guide you on this one, too. A call can't hurt, and you don't have to make a decision until you've spoken with the other doctors. Good luck!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby MamaLily » Jun 11, 2004 4:31 pm

Shin -

I think a good doctor is worth the drive. And I sincerely doubt that they will treat you the way you've been treated by your current doctors. :? Almost any doctor would be better than what you have had. Can any of the new doctors see you sometime soon? Think what a relief it will be to know that you are being taken care of by a competent, educated, understanding doctor! It will make such a difference - and, yes, they are out there!

Pamela gave you some great questions to ask. I also really like the list of questions to ask a new doctor that is found on this website. http://www.helpher.org/mothers/referral ... doctor.php

I'm so happy to hear that zofran/unisom/B6 are making a difference for you! What great news. Hang in there...I really think you're over the worst. And since you've made it this far, I know you can make it the rest of the way. Especially with the wonderful women on this forum!

Hope you have a GOOD weekend. Keep us posted.

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Next

Return to New to the Forums