new here, from Hawaii

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

new here, from Hawaii

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jun 07, 2004 1:20 am

Hi, I'm Angela and I just got referred to this site. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and have had HG since week 6. I've had to go to the ER twice due to dehydration. My doctor is really nice and understanding, but my insurance won't pay for much medication. I've been on Phenergan, which didn't really help. Nobody I live with or know understands what I'm going through, they think I just have morning sickness. Luckily my husband is very understanding, there's just not much he can do for me. I have been feeling a bit better lately, which I'm very greatful for, however I felt good for a short time so everyone, including my doctor just thinks it stopped, that I'm not sick anymore, which is not the case. Anyway I probably don't make much since anymore. This has also made me feel like I'll never be able to have more kids. I've always dreamed of having lots of kids, but I'm not sure I can do this again. I don't know how I could ever take care of a child while being this sick. I really hope this makes since, my brain's not what it used to be. I could just use some support and understanding from someone who know's what it's like.

Angela
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

We Know and We're Here

Postby HdGAMom2B » Jun 07, 2004 5:39 am

HI Hawaii Girl! Welcome! I want you to know that you absolutely are NOT alone in yuor HG suffering. I also understand the insurance issue, since in my last pg, I didn't get meds too, actually I got one pricey dose of Zofran, and it worked for me! But the insurance would not pay for any more, so I was so frustrated. It seemed that it was all in my head -- it is NOT. You are definitely among friends here. Please read the other posts around this forum. In the thrimester that you are in. And just post where you feel comfortable. We are all inthis together. Your husband is very supportive and lovng for taking care of you.. and making you feel comfortable now... it WILL END.

And you Do make sense....

Christy
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby dwtegli » Jun 07, 2004 10:05 am

Hi Angela,

Just wanted to let you know that you are definitely NOT ALONE. We have all been there and know exactly what you are feeling. Eight years ago, when I had my first HG pregnancy everyone thought it was all in my head and that I was overexagerating. Even I came to believe it. So 7 years later, we finally did it again. I paid for it with that pregnancy and am paying for it even more with this one. This is my third and definitely my last pregnancy. This pg was a complete accident, but oh well, apparently god wants us to have this child. If you need to vent, feel free. Email me if you need to, I will be glad to help.

If you can, have your friends and family come to this site to read about HG. It might help them understant better.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Re: new here, from Hawaii

Postby MamaLily » Jun 07, 2004 1:42 pm

Angela -

Welcome! I'm so happy you found this forum...it is WONDERFUL! I know you will find great info and support here - from women who have been through it themselves!

It is so frustrating to feel a little bit of relief from HG - and then to have everyone assume that you're 100% better. It's just not the case most of the time! Any degree of HG is hard to deal with.

I am a moderator in the 2nd Trimester Folder. I hope you'll join us there and let us know what treatments you have tried, how things are going now, etc. I'll see you there soon...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 07, 2004 7:09 pm

Welcome, Angela. I had a deja vu feeling reading your post--you seem to be experiencing my first full-term pregnancy, where they gave me phenergan and let my try to hold my own until I needed major rehydration. You had a good stretch, and you're probably spiraling back down because you're not hydrated. Most women here who can't keep up with fluids by mouth find that they require 1-2 liters of IV fluid per day, or at least a couple liters every few days. Your body cannot begin to get a handle on the HG until you are well-hydrated. Also, phenergan alone doesn't seem to be working. There are many other options that even conservative doctors will try--research some of those options and present your findings to your doctors. You can check into Zofran, compazine, meclizine, Unisom, B6 injections, steroid taper--lots of options, and your insurance company is bound to ok one or the other. Good luck to you, and I think Anna's suggestion of checking into the 2nd Tri. folder is a great one. Yay! You made it to the 2nd tri--that's a huge accomplishment in the world of HG. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 10, 2004 11:31 am

One of our moderators is in the midst of moving to Hawaii! Balissa will be moderating in the breastfeeding forum once she gets settled, and can check in on how things are. :)

I hope you feel welcome and comforted that you're not alone, and that there are options for you!

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to New to the Forums