New here!!!!! Mom of two.

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

New here!!!!! Mom of two.

Postby mhansell » Jun 05, 2004 11:35 pm

I'm new to the forum. I wish I new about this sight during my first pregnancy in 2001. When I first got pregnant and what I thought was just regular morning sickness turned into something I never ever expected to happen. I couldn't keep anything kind of food or beverage down. My mom and dh thought ginger ale would help. But it was the first time in my life I drank soda and threw it up and it was still fizzing. I thought I was dying. I called my OB and wanted the pregnancy to end. But it was christmas and the weekend and I would have to wait. So when I finally ended up in the er and was given phenergan at least this worked a little. Went to OB and was put on home IV therapy and phenergan. My OB told me I had HG and this was something I never heard of before. She asked me if I get motion sickness and I told I did. She stated this is probably why I suffered from HG. The whole experience lasted from week 6 to week 14 or 15. But at least for me this did not last as long as others. Christopher was born 08/06/2001. He was born at 38 weeks. He weighed 7lbs 13 oz and was very healthy.

But, I always wanted two children and had to do it again and my doctor told me she could not guarantee I would not suffer again. Well, at least the second time around I knew what to expect when I couldn't eat and kept thowing up. I thought at first I was in the clear when I past week 6 and nothing was happening. But then at week 7 I was admitted to the hospital twice and put on home IV therapy and phenergan again. This time it lasted from week 7 to about week 13. But now I have Nicholas who was born on 04/06/2004. He was born at 36 weeks and weighed 6lbs 4oz.

The one thing I hate about having HG is that no ones knows anything about it. People I work with think I had everyday morning sickness and that i was just sitting home and throwing up a few times. Telling me things like before you get out of bed have some crackers. Yeah I wished I could eat a cracker and keep it down. :lol: I mean I was a married woman who stayed at her mother house away from her new husband( we were only married two months when this began). That's something we all want to do in our lives. But my mom took care of me both times.

I not sure I would do this again. But, I'm very grateful for my two boys. If anyone needs some advice, I do my best to help.

Mary :D
I survive 2 pregnancy enduring HG and I have two beautiful sons to prove it.
Christopher(2001)
Nicholas(2004)
DH Geoffrey
mhansell

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 06, 2004 12:01 am

Hi, Mary--thanks for sharing your experiences! You are so right about people assuming HG is just morning sickness and you're being overly dramatic. I teach and was incapacitated with my last HG from the last week of April through the end of the school year. The day after I got my picc pulled, a friend and I went out for lunch to celebrate. I ran into the mother of one of my students, a woman who, along with everyone else in our community, knew full well why I had been absent. She said, "I heard you missed the last few weeks of school? How nice to start your summer vacation early." LOL! Yep, just decided to sit by the pool, work on my tan, and enjoy cool drinks. I think most of us have numerous stories like that little gem--rite of passage with HG, I'm afraid. But you made it, and your 2 little guys are a great reward. :)

I'll add you to my list of buddy contacts, if that's ok.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mhansell » Jun 06, 2004 6:51 pm

thank you for reading my long story. its ok you can add me to your buddy list. i'll add you to mine.

mary :D
Christopher(2001)
Nicholas(2004)
DH Geoffrey
mhansell

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 10, 2004 10:43 am

Welcome to the forum!

I'm so glad to see that HG didn't last too long for you - although 2 days is too long, huh!

I'm curious about your Phenergan useage. You were prescribed this drug in both of your pgs, and it worked in BOTH of your pgs? Often I see this drug not working the 2nd pg - happened to me, so I'd like to know more about this - what dose you were on, how effective it was for you, and how you took it (IV, oral, injected, suppository).

Pamela asked about adding you to the Buddy list, meaning that we have a system where we pair current HGers w/ past HGers who are either in the same area as they live or have had similar pgs for support so that we have a link besides the board to get info and support to gals who "disappear" do to hospitalizations.

It'll be nice to have so many HGers around on the support end of things, the number of us who are finished with our pgs, and want to help others just continues to grow, and I think it's so cool!

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby mhansell » Jun 10, 2004 9:48 pm

yes i was prescribed the phenergen both pgs. it work both times. I think it was 25 mg. i started out with the suppository and then changed to the oral. i just couldn't take the suppository anymore. Thanks for replying. I think this web site is very informative and so far the forums have been helpful.

i would enjoy helping others get through this.

mary
Christopher(2001)
Nicholas(2004)
DH Geoffrey
mhansell

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 12, 2004 11:44 pm

Well, the whole site is now a pool of talents! I am well versed in handling a forum, and supporting women here.

Much of the credit for the content of the information here at HER goes to Kimber, and all her research and hard work. If it weren't for Kimber and Ann Marie, we wouldn't have such a fabulous place for HGers to research, and discuss and support each other!

I'm so glad that you're here to support other HGers.

Thanks for the info on the Phenergan!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to New to the Forums