New to board and with back problems also

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

New to board and with back problems also

Postby Cindy » Jun 05, 2004 7:49 am

Hi
I am new to this board.. my husband actually found it for me. It is good to read others who are going through the same thing as me. Unfortunately, my HP started at 5 weeks and continues here in my 9th. I was put on Zofran and Saline drip (which I do every night). For about a week after I started this treatment I was doing well, eating better etc.. But had a set back this week, on Tuesday I was ill all day in the bathroom and because of this I pulled out my back...HAVE any of you experienced this from this condition? So now I have been home for a week, and need to have someone here with me every day to help me in and out of the chair. It has been very tough because I have not been able to eat all week either, my naseau is severe even with my Zofran. I never thought being pregnant could feel so awful...It is very discouraging...Have any of you experienced this?
Cindy
:cry:
Cindy

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 05, 2004 3:24 pm

Hi, Cindy, and welcome. I'm glad your husband found us--the HuGS group got me through my 4th and final HG with some semblance of sanity intact. Support and information is a huge help.

You're in the midst of the worst right now; most women don't see the beginning of better days until after 14 weeks, so hang on! If you're seeing an increase in the nausea and vomiting, Zofran is not working on its own. This is a vicious cycle--you have to be well-hydrated for the Zofran to work, but if you're too ill it's difficult to stay well-hydrated. So, how much Zofran are you on? And how much fluid do you run every day? At the height of HG it is not uncommon to need 2 or even 3 liters of fluid every day, and you will probably need to max out the Zofran (32 mg/day) to get relief. Most women find that Zofran needs to be paired for best result--there are many options, such as phenergan, reglan, compazine, meclizine, benedryl, and so on. It's really about trial and error and what works for you, but obviously the Zofran alone is not cutting it right now.

As for the back injury, I think many of us can relate to some extent. I never was incapacitated that badly (I'm sorry--it sounds miserable! :(), but I had terrible back and sciatic and headache pain from so much bedrest. A chiropractor really eased the back pain for me--I recommend it if it's available to you.

Let us know how you're doing, and please post in the 1st Tri. folder so you can meet up with others in your situation. I really, really, really urge you to ask your doctor about increasing and adding to your treatments--you're going to need it to keep up in the coming weeks.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums