hello, im from the uk

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

hello, im from the uk

Postby Dannika » Jun 04, 2004 9:55 am

Hiya, my name is Dannika, im 27 and from the UK.
I was first pregnant at 21, but ended in a miscarriage, I then fell pregnant again within 2 months! I remember thinking " I dont care how sick I get, as long as I dont lose this baby", Well... from 5 weeks I started, big time! I was first admitted into hospital at 5 1/2 weeks and pratically stayed there until 24 weeks. I tried every drug going, had an allergic reaction against one, and even had to have a brain scan because I was so sick! i was eventually put on steroids at 20 weeks, after losing more then 3 stone and at my wits end. The steroids were like a miracle, they worked wonders and my appetite returned almost immediately. but I remained very weak for the rest of my pregnancy and had very high blood pressure, so was again admitted from 30 weeks until my daughter was born by c section at 36 weeks, perfectly healthy.
I again fell pregnant when my daughter was 18 months, never in a million years dreaming I would get sick again, ( at this point I didnt actually realise this condition had a name!), but bang on 6 weeks I was back in hopsital, by 9 weeks I made my my decision that I couldnt go through with it and had a termination, it saddens me but I know it was the right decision as I wasnt ready to cope with another pregnancy like that again.
Last December I fell pregnant again, which ended in another miscarriage, but i was still suffering with HG! It was then I decided to really look into this and find out more.
For the last few months I have done endless research into this condition and finally feel more clued up!
I have just seen my consultant, ready to have a fight on my hands about persuading him to prescribe Zofran to me, but because he remembers all that I have been through, he didnt hesitate for a second! So from the day that I find out I am pregnant I am to take Zofran, right up until delivery if needed, if this doesnt work I am to go onto steroids asap, missing out all the messing about with other drugs.
For the first time in nearly 5 years I feel hopeful that I can get through this, although the fear does still hit me hard!!
I would love to try and help someone through any rough times, I am even considering looking into becoming a councilor for sufferers of hyperemesis, and may need some help and encouragement of my own soon!!!!
Get in touch
Dannika
mum to Lauren 10-7-99
Dannika

Postby mandy » Jun 04, 2004 11:27 am

Hi Dannika,

I am also from the UK. Sorry to hear of all you've been through. I also have a daughter born in '99. I also managed it once more for my son, born '02.

Glad the dr's are listening to your needs and ready to help. No-one ever mentioned Zofran or steriods to me in my pregnancies but I wasn't clued up enough to ask for them. you obviously have to push to get help here.

Anyway, good luck if you go for it again. I'll look out for your posts.

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 05, 2004 3:12 pm

Welcome, Dannika! You're doing the best thing you can to prepare for another bout with HG -- lots and lots of research! I'm so sorry about your losses; I suffered HG with my first miscarried pregnancy, too, and it's just not fair to be sick and then lose the baby on top of it. I wish you all the best as you think about another pregnancy. Information is key to success with HG. We have a few ladies from UK here, and I'm sure they'll be a great help with specific treatment info for you. :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 10, 2004 10:25 am

HI! We know from experience that dealing with the health system outside the U.S. can be something quite different from what U.S. HGers experience. So, we have a forum for you to discuss those issues! Our moderators are Jacqueline, from Ireland, and Traci, who is an Australian living in Japan.

Some of the drug names are different, and others have been able to get drugs commonly prescribed in the U.S., and I'm glad to see you are, too. There are other gals preparing protocols and who are going to be ttc, so you're not alone in that aspect! See you in the preparing for HG and HGers outside the U.S. forum!

Hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to New to the Forums