What are the top 5 things HG Moms need?
- Mom needs a lot of rest. A quiet, trigger free room is important.
- Support and compassion make a difference. HG is very isolating and traumatic. Love and support from family and friends can ease her suffering. This is not a woman’s fault: HG is in her genes, not in her head.
- Many moms need to combine medications to get some relief. The HER HG Algorithm was designed to help understand treatment options. See our medication information and brochure for more information. You can bring these things with you to appointments.
- No triggers. Vomiting and nausea can easily be triggered by smells, colors, lighting, and other seemingly normal things. Common triggers are listed here.
- IV rehydration is important as dehydration worsens nausea and vomiting. Receiving thiamin (B1) is essential when getting an IV. B vitamins are rapidly depleted in women with HG who need a lot of B vitamins. Most multivitamins do not contain the 50 to 100 mg of B1 and B6 that HG moms need. Thiamin can prevent Wernicke’s Encephalopathy, a completely preventable and very serious complication. See our patient protocol and other tools here.
The HER Foundation is here to help and support families facing HG across the globe! Together, we are changing the future for the next generation.
- Participate in HG research.
- Become an advocate.
- Make a gift to the HER Foundation.
- Share your story and support other HG moms.
- Become a HER Foundation volunteer.
- Blog about HG and show support for HER.
- Share resources with local health professionals and hospitals.