NFL wife, Amanda Tynes, joins forces with the HER Foundation to raise awareness for Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG)

tynesAmanda Tynes is a two time survivor of HG and the wife of the NY Giants kicker and SuperBowl Champion, Lawrence Tynes. “I am excited to add my voice and personal story with HG to the HER Foundation’s mission of increasing awareness and procuring funding for education and research. HG is a terrible disease that very few doctors or nurses seem to understand. Pregnant women around the world are suffering every minute of everyday with no answers or help to get them through their pregnancies. HG needs to be researched and studied by the medical community so these women don’t feel alone and helpless to a condition they cannot control. No more lives need to be lost because of the lack of research of this horrific disease” said Tynes. “We are thrilled to have Amanda on board with us to help raise awareness, research and education funding for HG. Amanda’s story is one that many HG women will identify with and we know Amanda’s passion for making a difference for HG women around the world will truly help our efforts,” said Ann Marie King, Co-Founder of the HER Foundation. As part of celebrating the first annual world awareness day on May 15th, this year Amanda and her husband signed the HER Foundation petition asking the United States government to start funding HG research. In the months ahead Amanda will join with founders of the HER Foundation in meeting with government officials and medical associations to discuss HG and its effects on women around the globe.
Amanda Tynes
NFL Wife
HG Survivor and mother

HER Story

I’m a mother of 4 year old twin boys, the wife of a professional football player and have survived and also been defeated by Hyperemesis Gravidarum.

On April 21, 2006, I married my amazing husband and best friend Lawrence Tynes. I knew I was so blessed to have a husband like Lawrence and would find out 8 months later how true that statement was. We had just moved into our first home and Lawrence was starting his 3rd season with the Kansas City Chiefs. Our life couldn’t be any better or so we thought. On December 21, 2006 we found out that I was pregnant. Words can’t begin to say how thrilled we were. We had decided to not tell anyone until we had seen our first ultrasound and heard the heartbeat. That quickly changed three days later on Christmas Eve when a huge wave a nausea set in and I had to tell my mom because she knew something was wrong. I was only 5 weeks pregnant and thought how can I already have morning sickness? The morning sickness didn’t seem to ever go away even when I was sleeping. I called my doctor a few days later and got the whole “ginger ale and small meal” lecture. I hadn’t thrown up so I didn’t worry too much. New Year’s Eve would be the first time I vomited and didn’t stop until 2 hours before I delivered my boys.

I was admitted to the hospital at 6 weeks pregnant for dehydration. No one seemed to know what was wrong with me and all the doctors kept saying it was my hormone levels. What did I know? I had never been pregnant before so assumed my doctors knew what they were talking about. I had also found out I was pregnant with twins and was told that explained everything. So now I had an answer but needed a cure. After too many hospital admissions to count I was finally sent home with a Zofran pump and a PICC Line. I couldn’t live like this and just wanted the whole nightmare to be over. The Zofran pump was a joke and I ended up just taking it out because it didn’t help at all. Probably because I wasn’t having regular pregnancy nausea. My PICC Line stayed in which did help me stay hydrated especially since I had found out that HG was causing me to have an aversion to WATER!!! I went my entire pregnancy drinking only Dr. Pepper because it was the only fluid that stayed down.

During the first 19 weeks of my pregnancy I went back and forth on wanting to end my pregnancy because there were days I thought I was dying. My strong Catholic upbringing and family wouldn’t let that happen so I stuck in there literally wanting to die most days. I had never dealt with vomiting 20 or more times a day and spitting in a bucket every two minutes because I couldn’t swallow my own saliva. Around 22 weeks my PICC Line blew and I was staying hydrated with Dr. Pepper so they didn’t put it back in. I was still throwing up all day but it just became “normal” to me. My husband being a football player doesn’t work January thru August except working out so I was more than blessed to have him home with me every single day. He managed to keep the entire house running and more importantly keep me sane. With that being said, being an athlete means you can change teams at any time. So there I was 25 weeks pregnant and my husband was traded to the New York Giants. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. I didn’t want to move to New York with newborn twins. I wanted to be in Kansas with my entire family and support system. We had no choice and we would deal with this when the time came.

At 28 weeks I was admitted to the hospital because I was in pre term labor. At that point I was praying my boys would come out so my hell would end. Fortunately God had a bigger plan and knew it would be too early for them to be born. On July 6, 2007 at 32 weeks, Caleb and Jaden Tynes were born weighing a healthy 5lbs 3 oz and 4lbs 9oz. I instantly felt perfectly normal again and was so blessed to have my two little boys. It was all worth it….I had SURVIVED!!

The boys spent a little over two weeks in the NICU and my husband was off to New York to start camp while I stayed in Kansas with the boys until they were 2 months old and we then started our life in New Jersey.

When the boys were 2 1/2 Lawrence and I decided we would like to have ONE more baby. In April of 2010 we found out that I was pregnant again. We were thrilled but extremely cautious. We had been told I was sick because I was pregnant with twins the first time so we were hoping this time would be different. At 5 weeks pregnant Lawrence rushed me to the hospital for dehydration. They did an ultrasound right there to make sure I wasn’t miscarrying. They said we wouldn’t be able to see a heartbeat or anything like that. Lawrence and I both watched the screen cautiously to see TWO sacs. We were yelling in denial. NO WAY could it be twins again!! I was sent home with a temporary IV. Three days later I was rushed by ambulance to the ER because I was almost in a diabetic coma. My blood sugar level had dropped to 31. I knew this time something wasn’t right. I had been sick before but this was unlike anything I remembered. I could always keep down food with the boys but this time I couldn’t and was being fed intravenously. I wasn’t allowed to leave the hospital for a week because of my blood sugar levels dropping. Not only that but my liver was starting to fail. What did all of this mean?? My mom had flown up and kept telling me she was worried I was going to die and my boys needed their mother. She was right but I had done this before so I could do this again. I was wrong….

At 6 weeks pregnant an entire team of the best doctors in the New Jersey area told me that I had to end my pregnancy or I could lose my life. My esophagus was tearing from the constant vomiting, my blood sugar levels wouldn’t stabilize and my liver was failing. Not only that but they said the babies would not make it. As a 29 year old woman I looked to my mom for an answer and without hesitation she did what every mom would do and that was to save her daughters life.

I didn’t wake up feeling any better, physically or mentally. I knew the decision was taken out of my hands but I keep thinking “what if?” I quickly found out that there would be no what if. For weeks I was in and out of the doctors office checking my liver and blood sugar levels. My esophagus healing was by far the worst. I was told I was only days away from needing a trachea tube. My body took months to recover but my heart took much longer. I have always had a strong faith and know that God gave me twin boys the first time around because he knew there was no way I could ever have children again. I know that my twins are in heaven watching down on us and watching over their brothers as their guardian angels. Knowing this gives me peace.

I think back on the past 6 years of my life and all the amazing things God has blessed my family with. I have two beautiful healthy boys and the most amazing husband anyone could ask for. Sometimes I want to be mad at God for what happened but I know that he knew I would never have made the decision to end my pregnancy so he took that out of my hands. My heart will always have two pieces missing but I know those pieces are up in heaven.

Each day I wake up knowing how blessed I am and love watching my little boys grow up. HG is a terrible disease and I hope a cure is found so no one else has to lose anyone they love.

Comments are closed.