Reglan question about reaction....

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Reglan question about reaction....

Postby artzyjen » Oct 20, 2008 2:31 am

Reglan question... I was in the ER three weeks ago getting rehydrated and although I've never had much success with Reglan they decided to give me an intravenous dose of benadryl and then Reglan right after. I had a very weird reaction that has made me afraid to even try Reglan since- but I have a few times without the same problem.

I was almost completely knocked out by the dose of benadryl but after Reglan was administered (within about two minutes) I would jerk awake and had spontaneous muscle spasms for the next three hours as well as heart palpitations and low blood pressure.

I have tachycardia anyway sometimes, and I was dehydrated, but this was after they had administered 3 Liters of fluids already. My blood pressure went from close to normal (110/73) down to 78/54 in the hour after I was given the Reglan.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
1st pregnancy. Severe HG from wk 10-22, NVP wks 23-26, Mod HG (Third Tri relapse) wks 27-37
Treatment:
PICC
Multivitamin hydration as needed
Zofran pump (34mg/day PICC)
Prevacid
Additional conditions/complications:
Anemia
Vitamin D deficiency
SPD
GERD
ImageImage
artzyjen
Been There Done That

Postby MichellevsHG » Oct 20, 2008 6:40 pm

The only reactions I had to the reglan were the spontaneous muscle spasms (though minor) and a reaction where I felt like I could crawl out of my skin. It freaked me out. I have no idea if it dropped my BP or not and I didn't take it long enough to find out either. :wink:
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby OlisMommy » Oct 20, 2008 6:53 pm

This is exactly what happens to me when I get reglan, compazine, or phenergan. It is called an extrapyramidal reaction, as that is the part of the brain going wacky.

The experience is so horrifying, I just call it an allergy, as I never want to get those drugs again and there are other options for nausea (benedryl, ativan, and so on).
HG 5wk-34wk (aka:birth) I had it bad, we almost died. I did everything but the NJ. I do NJ in my line of work. I can tell you all about them except how they feel. ER/Trauma/ICU RN PM me anything.
IMG_0266_2_4 by Yum! Yum! Mommy!, on Flickr
OlisMommy
Devoted to You

Postby mmichelle » Oct 20, 2008 10:17 pm

I started with the muscle spasms and then proceeded to stroke like syptoms from the reglan. I cannot do compazine either. At the point where I started having all the reactions I was no longer in the hospital and thus did not have monitoring of my blood pressure.
Mer

DS 4/5/04
DD 5/25/07
DS 8/8/10
mmichelle
Master of HG

Postby rjdecker » Oct 24, 2008 1:27 pm

That is a common side effect of reglan and you should not take it if you react that way. It is so horrifying to some that they are at a high risk of suicide, so tread carefully.
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Lorelei-Jean » Oct 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Wow that's awful. I hope you are able to switch to another drug :(

I think Reglan could cause Akathisia (not in all people but it's a potential side effect).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia
Lorelei-Jean

Postby carybear » Oct 24, 2008 7:48 pm

while I'm not sure of the drop in bp, I had the same reaction. I would wake myself shaking my arms in the air. i had NO control. it never made me tired though.
I also ended up having the same reaction to unisom and had to switch to benedryl. So just be cautious there too.
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby twinsmama » Jan 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Reglan is the devil for me too! It made me extremely suicidal, as in I told my husband that if he could get me a gun, I'd do the rest. Luckily I was too sick to kill myself, LOL, funny I know, but true. It also made me feel like I could tear the skin from my body and my head felt like it weighed 50 lbs. Horrible, Horrible medicine for me! I'd take HG any day over the way that med made me feel...and I did b/c with my first, zofran wasn't around, so I suffered through b/c I could not do the reglan.

BTW- I've read alot of info on reglan, and sometimes, even after quitting the drug, the depression and suicidal thoughts remain, permanently. People have committed suicide while on reglan as well. :shock:
Faye-33
DH-34
DD-7 Twins- HG weeks 5-13
DD-7
DS-2 yrs. HG week 5-14
Expecting Baby #4- due 9/04/09 HG weeks 4-11 N/V until week 18 and nauseous still, but managing

Nerve damage to bladder- catheterization weeks 14-17
Pelvic Girdle Pain w/ hip dislocation weeks 24 -??

At week 28- 9 lb gain so far!
twinsmama
Welcomed Friend

Postby jkramer » Jan 13, 2009 1:39 pm

I had a pretty bad reaction to reglan as well..it was during my first stay at the hospital when we were in the worst of the HG. Within minutes of it being injected, all I remember is my mom asking me if i was ok..then i mentally blacked out. My husband and mother were there and said my eyes just glazed over and i began getting very aggitated and having mild heart palpitations. The stupid nurse wouldnt give me any benadryl because she didnt want to bother my doctor. So my mom and husband helped me walk around the floor for about 3 hours stopping every few minutes to throw up...when my doctor came in the next morning we explained what happened, and he got onto the nurse...the only positive that I see that came out of that experiance, is I found the OB that I LOVE and know will do whatever it takes to get me through another HG pregnancy.
Kolton Cade 12/16/06 10lbs 15oz 22 1/2 inches C-section 7 days early due to his size
One Angel MC 4/22/08 We love you
Kason Wyatt 9/10/09 9lbs 11oz 22
severe HG 5-16 weeks mild hg 16-22 week
Angel Baby-we love you but HG was just too big this time. Please forgive me.
jkramer
Welcomed Friend

Postby MommaKeaneBeans » Apr 27, 2009 10:28 am

I had terrible side effects with reglan--I had it combined with benadryl in an IV for a migraine headache about two years ago, and it made me have suicidal thoughts---I've NEVER EVER had anything like it. I took domperidone orally (to increase milk supply) for over a year with no problems, and I know that it is similar, but geez, I will NEVER take reglan again. Ever.
Kate, DH Chris
Jack 9.13.06
Henry 7.28.08
Rose 11.3.09
HG all four times so far, in addition to having Lupus. Praise God for His blessings....He has given us three beautiful healthy children, hoping for the same this time around.
MommaKeaneBeans

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies