Liver support - Milk Thistle by Shonda Parker

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Liver support - Milk Thistle by Shonda Parker

Postby Spark » Jan 23, 2007 11:57 pm

In Shonda Parker's book Naturally Healthy Pregnancy, she makes some profound (to me anyway!) recommendations about supporting the liver before and during pregnancy to help with HG. Continued milk thistle supplementation as the German Commission E Monographs state no contraindication for milk thistle during pregnancy.

The book is out of print, but here's most of the information from her book about Hyperemisis and morning sickness.

I kept seeing reference to this book on blogs reporting GREAT success following Barker's program. http://naturallyhealthypregnancy.blogsp ... 20Sickness This blog is now password only & I don't have the password or ability to e-mail the owner. But, it's basically this woman who had been hospitalized with other pregnancies & then used MT off & on & had a pretty good preg. But, then decided on her last pregnancy to really do Parker's program exactly perfect. Low and behold, she had no nausea & a lot of energy throughout the 1st trimester and beyond!

This is a wonderful book with great info. FYI, the author presents it in a very faith based format:
If morning sickness was a problem during a previous pregnancy, milk thistle extrat (standarized to contian at least 70% silymarin) is of great benefit to aid the liver's functions. Recommened amount: 280 mg per day. Dandelion is a gentler liver stimulant if a milder liver tonic is desired.
(p23)

The Milk Thistle preconception seems to be the most important time to take it, and then continue during pregnancy. I'll just add that during pregnancy info, since the borrowed book is in front of me right now.

I have tried many remedies during my pregnancies - some have worked well, some worked a little, others worked not at all. I had hyperemesis gravidum (vomitting repeatedly, unable to hold anything down) with my eldest child which was medically treated... With my fourth child, I had no morning sickness whatsoever...
I have come to believe through my own experience and the experience of others that the root of the problem for many women is inadequate liver support during a period of greater demands on this vital organ. If moms begin preparing their bodies for pregnancy prior to conception they will have a better chance of avoiding morning sickness (as well as other factors).
(lists morning sickness recommendations)
2. I have found milk thistle (standardized to contain at least 70% - 80% silymarin) to be invaluable in preventing morning sickness. I began taking 2 tablets each day two months prior to this pregnancy and increased to 3 tablets daily when our pregnancy was confirmed. Milk thistle is liver supportive and protective. I feel this is why it worked so well to prevent the nausea and vomiting I have had with every other pregnancy. This would be especially helpful for those mom who vommit bile during pregnancy.

(p170-171)

From her website:
[quote]Morning Sickness
Q.I just wanted to let you know that I am at the beginning of my 7th pregnancy...the 6th one that has gotten a good start....and for the very first time have not experienced the horrible morning sickness and exhaustion that I have with all the others! I believe it is the mercy and blessing of God through the advice that you offer...Entrox, Milk thistle Phytosome and AbsorbAid three times a day with meals along with a good prenatal and calcium. I'm still in total amazement and awe! I only hoped it would really work, but was skeptical until now! I have a friend who tried this as well with her 5th pregnancy with the same astounding results!!! WOW! I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to be a "normal" mommy to my other children while carrying a new babe!! I had asked many months ago about a different source for the Milk Thistle Phytosome by Natural Factors as well as the Entrox...because I could not obtain those locally. I did find a source for Entrox by NOW that does not have any added Vitamin E. (just an FYI) Also, Enzymatic Therapy makes a Silybin Phytosome that I think is very similar if not the same as the milk thistle phytosome you recommend...and there are a few web sites that sell this brand. I bought mine from Vitamin Shoppe. The NOW Entrox I bought through BetterLife.com. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know so if you have opportunity to pass it along to other moms weary of morning sickness....again, I so appreciate your help! You are an angel! I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your new babe. love, Natalie

A. Natalie, I’m thrilled to hear of other mothers benefiting as I did from these three supplements during early pregnancy “sickâ€Â
Last edited by Spark on Jul 17, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DS '01 - Mild HG till 16 wks, Lost 8% of bodyweight, no meds
DD1 '04 - M/S till 14 wks, lost 4% of bodyweight, no meds needed
DD2 '06 - Moderate HG 9 mos, lost 16% of bodyweight, limited meds, poorly managed by Dr :(
Each Child SO Worth It!
DS2 '08 - BEST PREGNANCY EVER! Sooo thankful! http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?p=288211#288211
Spark
Been There Done That

Postby sarah23 » Jan 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Thank you, Claire. This is so helpful, and it gives me hope that maybe this won't be my last pg!

Anyone have experience with milk thistle while pg?
Sarah
sarah23
Master of HG

Postby Spark » Jan 27, 2007 6:31 pm

sarah23 wrote:Anyone have experience with milk thistle while pg?

I wish there was someone here who has & would pipe up! :) I know a lot of women have done Milk Thistle prepregnancy to prep their bodies & most saw positive results. But, it's only women that I've seen reference Shonda Barker's book that have taken it during prengnacy. So far everyone I've seen write about following Barker's rec's for Milk Thistle preconception & during the 1st trimester has seen SIGNIFICANTLY less HG and most report no vomitting at all and little nausea. Huge huge huge differences!
DD2 '06 - Moderate HG 9 mos, lost 16% of bodyweight, limited meds, poorly managed by Dr :(
Each Child SO Worth It!
DS2 '08 - BEST PREGNANCY EVER! Sooo thankful! http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?p=288211#288211
Spark
Been There Done That

Postby Susannah » May 01, 2007 3:20 pm

I will let you know. I have started milk thistle in preparation for ttc in June. I am only taking one because I am BF and it increases milk supply. I plan to increase to 2 in the next week.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby Spark » May 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Susannah, I hope you're our MAJOR success story! :)

I know one woman who posts on here that used it to cleanse before TTC & then had a GREAT pregnancy. (Her first was a hard HG one) But, she also chalks up the HG-free pregnancy to following MotherRisk's protocol with Dicylin (sp?).
Each Child SO Worth It!
Spark
Been There Done That

Postby tgger007 » May 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Drat Suz!

I would of taken it before if I knew it helped with the milk... I swore I tried everything else!! Well, it could of been in the tea mix though.

I just got a cleanze kit and it was in it.. I'm still debating if I'm preparing yet to get pg.
Crystalyn

tgger007
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » May 02, 2007 11:47 pm

I seem to remember Robin using it before TTC with Katie.

Any thoughts on how it helps with postpartum recovery?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Spark » May 03, 2007 9:22 am

It's definitely good for Postpartum Recovery. I'd do 2 months of 2 tabs for sure. It will help cleanse/support your liver. :)
Each Child SO Worth It!
Spark
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » May 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Yup, Ive done milk thistle before (ok, now I sound like a junkie or something :wink: ). It would be great for preconception or post partum. I think I need to start detox again.... maybe Ill use up that milk thistle I got :wink:
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » May 03, 2007 3:06 pm

Makes sense. Thanks, girls.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Dandelion/milk thistle

Postby healthymommy » Jun 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Ive been taking a dandelion/milk thistle pill occasionally for about 6 months and recently almost everyday. I also had this Liver Support Tea that I got from Mountain Rose Herbs:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tea_bev/tea_bev.php
called Persephone's Tea:
"Going down to the underworld and rising up renewed. When you've been overworked, overindulging or under stress remember ... Be kind to yourself and your liver. This is a blend for transitions, a drink to help support your hard-working liver. Contains: Organic Dandelion root, organic Burdock root, Oregon Grape root, organic Yellow Dock root, organic Eleuthero root, organic Milk Thistle seed.
Traditionally used for- Liver support"
HG is definitely going down under!:verygreen:

It may take some time to get used to the taste but eventually found myself even eating the little soft roots after drinking all the tea :)

One thing i have noticed about taking MT and Dandelion is that it reduces that breast pain that sometimes happens before my period and also makes the period less painful/shorter.
I think it really helps remove toxins all throughout the cycle.
Im really hoping it will help with HG and I may go buy a more concentrated form this week.
What I am taking now is called Liver Support made with freeze-dried herbs.
Milk Thistle, Dandelion (whole plant), Artichoke, Beet Root, Goldenseal, and Turmeric.
I think everything can be taken during pregnancy except for the goldenseal, so I have to find something else.

Happy detoxing...eat your dandelion roots :)
Cristina
HG Survivor!
PG1 Keli Lalita 7-27-2004 water home birth
Preparing for HG
healthymommy
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies