UPDATE: My baby that I prepared for with this protocol is here & a happy healthy 6 month old. My pregnancy with him was AMAZING. It was the best pregnancy I have EVER had! I ended up doing milk thistle consistently for months before. Upon BFP at 8DPO, I immediately started B-6/Unisom. I took 1 Unisom at night before bed. Then, I did B-6 spread out throughout the day along with milk thistle & wild yam root. My naturopath, adjusted my protocol by dropping the wild yam root. Amazingly, I didn't feel ANY nausea. I never had to increase my Unisom. I had all the 1st trimester symptoms just without nausea. At 12 weeks, I stopped the Unisom & didn't need it. I was really shocked and oh so thankful for the wisdom that I learned here. Thank you all!
Okay, here's my whopping long protocol that I've been adding to a file on my computer for about a year now. I've just repurposed a lot from other people. Thank you ALL for posting your protocols!
I'm not sure that we'll TTC in December or even January like we talked about. We might adopt. We might just hug the 3 kids we have. But, getting it in this file might just help someone else if not me.
Any comments or suggestions for change... PLEASE let me know!
Links on the herbs I refer to:
Detox/Cleansing -- http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=3090
Milk Thistle -- http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=14755
Wild Yam Root -- http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=16085
False Unicorn Root -- http://www.regaininghealthnaturally.com ... Root.shtml
6 months pre-TTC:
4-3 months pre-TTC daily:
Milk Thistle 280 mg with at least 70% silmarin
B6 total of 150 mg /day taken am & pm with Vit C for absorbtion
Water with lemon (I keep a jug of actual lemon juice in my fridge & squirt into each glass)
Evening Primrose Oil Pre-O, Flax Seed oil post-O (Both are essential fatty acids)
Food enzymes when needed
Affirmation -- "When the time is for the highest good, we gestate our baby with good health and joy." I say this many many times a day.
Medication/Treatment Upon BFP
Increase Milk Thistle
50 mg B6 3 x a day (do not exceed total of 200 mg)
Food Enzymes after every "meal" if tolerated
Children's vitamins with added Folic Acid if tolerable
Wild Yam Root tincture up to 2 to 4 mL three times daily
False Unicorn Root tincture up to 1 dropper 3x per day
1/2 Unisom at night (up to 75mg antihistamine per 24 hours) with 50 mg B-6 or consider just benadryl w/ b6
Ginger Root:- capsules up to 1000 mgs daily (take it until you taste it)
If nausea increases:
Anti-motion sickness medications during day
(Benadryl or Meclizine - Cyclizine, Dramamine, Dimenhydrinate, Bonine, Antivert, Marezine)
Test vitamin levels in blood routinely
Pepcid or Zantac or prilosec
Zofran (start will pill, then try ODT if pills wont stay down)- up to 32 mgs daily. Try: 8 mgs every 6 hours. Do NOT delay taking this if the previous meds are not addressing the nausea and vomiting.
Consider steroids after 8-10 weeks
Upon Keytones in Urine or 5% loss of body weight:
IV's at hospital/office - Lactated Ringers or D5LR with 20 KCI. Consider Myer's Cocktail or Banana Bag.
Preferable: Home IV Therapy. Lactated ringers or Banana Bag. Instead of 24 hour hydration try for 1 bag over a 1 to 2 hour period, with a 6 hour break. I felt BETTER when the hydration went in faster vs slower.
*** If Can Not Keep Food/Water down for 3 days ****
NJ tube - sedated for insertion, Jevity with fiber
**** If Feeling Brain Fuzzy/Dead ****
Get vitamin levels checked ASAP
Raglan - allergic reaction
Phenegran - Not effective, possible allergic reaction
Motherisk- Organization based in Canada that helps Moms with Nausea and Vomiting in pregnancy. Also helps Moms in the USA. Website is www.motherisk.org
Phone # is 800-436-8477
Hyperemesis Organization: Website that provides treatment options for those with HG and protocols, with medication information for Doctors. Also has a support forum for those with HG to ease some of the isolation, depression and misery that occurs with HG. (www.helpher.org
*******Help Feed Us******
Thank you for helping me. I'll need to eat, but please do NOT mention specific foods as it can kill whatever inclination I have to eat. And, sometimes I might be hungry, but not have enough energy to call for someone, even if you have the baby monitor on. So, please check on me regularly. say to me -- "MY NAME, would you like Salty, Crunchy, Sweet, Sour or Bland?" Know that specific food cravings usually stay down. With HG, any food is good food.
Four main food groups that are often tolerated and egÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s of food for each.
1. SALTYS AND CRUNCHYS
- potato chips
- Whole wheat crackers more effective than saltines
- crackers - usually like Cheez-its, etc...something with a flavor of cheese or some extra salt-type flavor, etc.. Seems the more chemicals and preservatives (go figure?), the better!
- really well-done, or oven-baked french fries - extra crunchy type with not a lot of grease on them
- baked potatoes with lots of salt
- mashed potatoes with lots of salt
- tortilla chips
- salted peanuts/nuts
- chinese noodles
- celery sticks
- hard-boiled eggs with salt
- egg salad, minus onions!!
- brothy, salty soups
- cake, minus the icing
- PB & J sandwiches on fluffy white bread
- hard candies, jolly ranchers, lollies, etc...
- fruit, fruit and more fruit!
- sweet veggies - carrot sticks, etc...
- fruited yogurt
- yogurt smoothies (no lumps)
- orange juice
- french toast
- plain doughnuts
- cinnamon buns - sweet cinnamon flavored things of any type
- raisins and dried fruit
- lightly buttered egg noodles
- *white sticky rice
3. SOURS AND TARTS
- lemons and limes - flavors of lemons and limes
- hard candies such as sour apple, lemon drops, jolly ranchers, sour grape, etc... help with nausea
- sometimes fast foods such as cheeseburgers, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches - with pickles on...be careful with these cravings though...
- hot peppers and other spicy hot foods
- mild peppers as well
- tortilla chips
- vinegar on chips/fries/etc...
4. BLANDS AND STARCHYS
- pancakes - no syrup, little butter
- toast - just have someone make the stuff outside! LOL!
- crackers (yep - but this time the sweet type like wheat thins, wheatables, etc... NOT saltines, people!)
- plain baked potatoes, little butter
- mushy fries from the oven - little grease, no salt
- mashed potatoes
- plain breads
- vanilla wafer cookies
- bland non-buttery popcorn
- plain lightly buttered egg noodles
- white, sticky rice
- some fruits - bananas, pears, peaches, melons
5. There is a group of its own. APPLES. People often crave apples.
DRINKS / LIQUID (Serve everything REALLY cold with a straw)
- Slurpees, Slushies, Mr. Misties, Icees, frozen Coke. Available at 7-eleven, Target, etc.
- Make Jello with unflavored pedialyte
- Dilute gatorade
- ice chips
- adding about 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to every 8 oz of water, and sipping throughout the day and night.
- Ice cold Koolaid. Even better when served as shaven ice.
- Sprite. 7-up or Coke or Pepsi
- Any manner of flavored, usually a citrus is best, fizzy water.
- Orange juice...ice cold...maybe shaved ice form or popsicles.
- Vitamin Water" brand water. It tastes just like flavored water or juice, but it has FOLIC ACID! ELECTROLYTES! and other goodies infused in the water (CALLED Essential)
- Mineral water
- Flavored seltzers Ã¢â‚¬â€œ lime / lemon
- Sweetened brewed iced/hot tea
- Smoothie (no lumps)
- Iced coffee or banana milk
- Instant breakfasts in popper (no lumps)
- grapefruit juice
- cranberry juice
- apple juice
Things to do:
Appt with specialist
Create 6 weekly meal plans and shopping lists to match
Line up potential food deliveries
Activities for children
Ensure there are several boxes of baking soda in Fridge and make sure fridge is totally cleaned and disinfected
Dentist visit if needed
Clean the house
Arrange food deliveries
Ziplock bags for vomit
Smells that nauseate - no heating of food in kitchen, move microwave or crock pot to garage, cook on stove only when I'm out of the house & then air it out before my return
Cut fresh lemons by bedside
Snacks by bed
Baby pictures of children to look at nearby or a tiny piece of clothing
Liquids - either hot or cold, sour or sweet
Pack bag for hospital stay (then no thinking required if I do have to go!)
Pack overnight bags for children
See ****help feed us**** list above