PICC photos

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

PICC photos

Postby teddi » Jun 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Photos galore.....If you have some of your own feel free to add.

Here is what my PICC looked like (the dressing done at the time of the photo was not a good one, very little protection for the extension set of my PICC, but you can see a good example of the "skins" that might be used for a dressing)

Here is an example of a "Hep lock". It's an IV catheter w/a small extension set that is flushed and capped off for later use, an IV left temporarily in place. Mine's a little gross (sorry, some blood had flushed back up the line). It's in my right elbow.

Here's what an NG tube looks like, it's pretty much the same for an adult, this is one that one of my daughters had.

If you end up w/a PICC or midline ask about having a "statlock". They're great, and made for all kinds of picc lines. They help keep the extension set secure. This is an example

This is how the extension set of the PICC will snap into place

On your arm it's like this, (a typical set up for a PICC)

Now connected to the IV tubing, to run fluids/meds

Saline and Heparin flushes (pretty standard) These are the non "needle tip" kind.

Hooked up to flush the PICC line

A standard cap for a PICC/IV line and a special one called a PosiFlow. When you use a posiflow cap, no need to use a regular end cap. It maintains nuetral pressure (no fluid going in or coming out of the line). The blue posiflow cap goes on the extension set. Certain PICCs might not work w/a posiflow (ie a groshong)

Our friendly IV bag - the blue tip is removed and the IV tubing is connected on that side. The left "tube" is for needles- ie adding things into your IV bag.

Standard 6ft IV tubing

This end goes into the IV bag

Like this

This is the end that goes to your picc line/extender set
IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/teddiivey/HG%20photos/June162006079.jpg[/IMG]

The tips of all these connections are to be kept STERILE at all times, no touching them directly, dragging them along surfaces.

Example of an extension set (these connect to the actual picc line that comes out of your arm, the "lumen")

One way you might cap off your extension set (instead of like a posiflow)

The clamp and regulator of the IV tubing. The dark blue you just can use to clamp or stop the IV drip. The light blue one you can adjust the flow. Some regulators look different and actually have guides on them to set the flow (certain ml per hour, etc).

These are the actual PICC lines themselves. Various types of Groshong PICCS (these have special "valve" functions at the tips that are inside your arm)

A double lumen PICC

A triple lumen PICC

More info on the groshong PICC- great also to understand HOW the basic insertion works. Great illustrations of how it all works inside your arm/vein.

http://www.bardaccess.com/pdfs/patient/pg-grosh-picc.pdf

More photos and insertion info:
http://www.picclines-sat.com/serv01.htm

Detailed PosiFlow info (I really like mine, so convient)
http://www.bd.com/ca/pdfs/safety/products/infusion/iv_access/posiflow_patient_guide.pdf#search='PosiFlow'

Website for the Statlocks (I so HATED my dressings when these were NOT used, worked really well and I would recommend having on to keep your pICC secure)
http://www.statlock.com/products.html
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Jun 16, 2006 8:04 pm

oh and the little dot close to the blue clamp in this photo IS my PICC scar

Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Jun 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Double lumen PICC

NG tube

Zofran pump with extra cassette sitting next to it

Backpack with 1 liter of TPN and pump (usually TPN is white, but this mix doesn't have lipids)

Closed backpack
(for TPN) and fanny pack (for zofran pump)

Happy ending to first pregnancy
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 16, 2006 11:41 pm

Awww, there's my pretty blue Groshong! :D
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby megs4413 » Jun 16, 2006 11:49 pm

How does the song go...."memories...like the corner of my mind...." HAHAHAHAHA! I found my PICC! the double lumen! oh how i do not miss you! I wish I knew how to post pics....i have a good one of my picc line and the zofran pump being carried around in a white satin bag at my wedding! Too funny!
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby Atsie » Jun 17, 2006 5:18 am

Teddi and Jenny,
Thank you for the pictures. I don't know what I was imagining but those don't look to bad and they stick out far less than my iv. Still not looking forward to having it put in but not worried about living with it.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Brenda » Jun 17, 2006 5:24 am

Oh my gosh!!! You guys are so brave!!! I haven't needed those yet and I feel like I shouldn't even be here, let alone complaining like I do. You guys are HG goddesses.

Jenny thanks for posting the happy ending picture. SOmetimes you forget that magical moment when they place the baby in your arms. Alright I gotta go now, I'm bawling!!!

Thanks guys for posting those!!
Isabella HG Baby #1 11/21/02
Spencer HG Baby #2 4/16/05
Victoria HG Baby # 3 12/19/06
Brenda
Opinionated HGer

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 17, 2006 11:25 am

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Ok, you guys know how much of a needle weenie I am, and honestly, after seeing those pics, I think if I absolutely had to have a PICC - I could handle it. Not for a pg, not now, anyways, but after HG, I wonder if I'll end up sick with something major later on and face all the nausea/vomiting and IV's, PICCS, and anything I missed when I skipped out on worse HG than I had. :D

Really - fantastic pics. Quite an education, and I think so very helpful. I especially like all of the "this goes like this, hooked to this" part - I'm very systimatic, and knowing that it all is just like a puzzle to put together would have helped me cope with all of that tremendously.

So, someone please help Megs post her wedding photo with the bag for her picc! That would be priceless!

Thanks for the photos. You should have a badge of honor around here. I wonder if we could actually do that. Post a pic of yourself with HG, and you get a badge of honor. . .

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby teddi » Dec 20, 2006 1:46 am

:: cringing at my lack of beauty pics ::

Bumped for you & Amanda, Andy
Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby nataliesmom » Dec 20, 2006 4:04 pm

Thanks Teddi! I remember seeing this post a few months ago. It is so helpful. While I had a PICC last time around, that was almost 3 1/2 years ago so it's hard to remember very well. The scar is even almost invisible now! Thanks again.
Amanda
Natalie 1/12/04
Emery 11/2/07
nataliesmom
Opinionated HGer

Postby Ivydragon » Dec 21, 2006 12:05 pm

Right under my very nose! Thank you so very much!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby -samanthakay- » Mar 17, 2007 8:28 am

I think I should have had a PICC. Ugh but in my area I just had to keep going back into the OB ward for 3 to 6 days at a time for IV's I went in about every 3 weeks.
Angelina DoraMae Sev HG 3-38 weeks
Born 3-3-07
I also have two great bonus babies(adopted stepsons) Devon 18 and Tristin 15
I am very active on facebook
-samanthakay-
Devoted to You

Postby teddi » Sep 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Posted by: MomofHope,Sam,andXavier

I know ports are not that common, but I thought I would post some pictures if anyone wants to know what it is and what it looks like.
Port with double access
Port with one access
IV Pole with TPN, Lipids, and Nexium running
TPN
Lipids
Zofran pump that connects to the port

I hope this was helpful

-Joanna
Teddi
~Angel babe~ March 2012