Got my Reglan pump today!

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

Got my Reglan pump today!

Postby Beth » Aug 18, 2004 11:55 pm

Hi everybody, just wanted to say thanks for all the support these past few days. I haven't been here, went back on Monday for another round of fluids. Finally today my insurance company got their act together and approved the pump, the nurse from Matria came this afternoon to show me how to do it. They said it will take 12-24 hours to really start being effective, I'm looking forward to it. Also hoping that I don't get the anxiety that I had when the Reglan was given to me via IV. The nurse said that anxiety is a common result when Reglan is "pushed" via IV too fast, fyi.

Soooo, why didn't anyone spill the details about the sub-q pump? :shock: Specifically, driving an inch-long needle directly into your thigh? I'm so glad I didn't know beforehand, I probably would have said I just couldn't do it and given up. It was scary the first time, I'm sure it gets easier each time (I hope so) Didn't really hurt then or now (I used an icepack), but the thought...

Ok, that's enough out of me. Ketones are down to small, that's as good as they've been in some time, even with the additional fluids. Really really hoping this helps, we just bought a new house, will be moving in a week, want to feel better so I can start doing things again. More good news: the amnio came back and everything's fine. Nurse checked baby today and s/he's got a strong heartbeat and lots of movement, too.

Hope all are well, I'll try to get around to doing a proper introduction and profile soon...

Beth
Beth

Postby emily » Aug 19, 2004 12:04 am

Beth,

Congrats on getting the pump! Hope you start feeling better soon.

Inch long like straight into your thigh? Or kinda at an angle? Geez. I don't mind needles generally but I can't poke myself and DH has a weird fear (yes, fear) of needles, so I am sure he wouldn't do it for me.

Well anyhow.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 19, 2004 10:17 pm

You get used to it. But, I ended up only changing my site about once every 4-5 days. I was on the zofran pump and the medicine caused painful welts all over my legs. I'll be interested to hear if Reglan does something similar. I don't think it's supposed to.

BTW, can you attach the pump to the PICC? My nurse said you could hook a zofran pump to one! Something to think about if you don't like leg sticks.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby Ivydragon » Aug 21, 2004 11:35 am

Hmmm, I don't recall the needle length before. . . when others have talked about the pumps, but I am well known as a needle phob, so maybe they were trying to spare me? lol.

I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing on the Reglan pump, if you were having a reaction, or how well it was working.

Also, during my 2nd pg I was put into the hospital on an IV drip and they had added glucose to my drip. When they took the glucose out, my ketones immediately came back, so if you have a PICC line, you might want to ask about having glucose added to your IV regimen, perhaps you could get your ketones to go completely away. I remember the DRs. and nurses wanting my ketones gone, and that if they were still there, even w/ hydration that they weren't happy.

Hope you've been able to improve. When I couldn't work on what I wanted to (having to rest, etc), I'd plan things out, choose colors for decorating, where I want to hang pictures, etc. so that when you do have a little bit of energy you know exactly what you want to do. Be careful on your good days, HGers are renowned for doing too much when they feel a little better, and actually creating worse relapses! Good days and bad days are going to happen still for quite a while, so try to retrain everything you'd like to do on those good days for less torturous bad ones. Every HGer learns their limit the hard way. . .

So glad to hear all's well w/ the baby.

Huge hugs, Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby carriedodson » Aug 21, 2004 2:28 pm

Hey Beth,

:o
Hope the pump helps out. I had the reglan pump from 6 wks to 6 months. My hubbie changed the site every 2 days. It is important to change the site that often because it starts to kind of come out on its own after that long and the infusion will not be effective. You want it to work!!

As far as the reglan goes, it made me lethargic and depressed. Of course that could have been the constant vomiting and nausea. I do think that it got me through it though, so for that I encourage you. You gotta do what you can to nourish that little baby. It helped me drink and eat. I also took oral zofran when I was on the pump. If you like bathing, try and take one before you are going to do a new site change. Make it quick cause I swear I could feel it when it wasn't infusing. You'll get used to taking a shower with it around your neck and off to the side. Or take a shower before site change so you can be free to move around :D

Have hubbie go straight into the fatty part of your upper thigh- it should not hurt. Try a new needle if it hurts cause you have probably gone to0 close to blood vessel and the infusion will not be effective. Also keep your nurse (are you using Matria?) notified of any battery needs and supplies. You want them at your disposal.

As far as clothing- wear overalls your pump will fit neatly in your pocket. Hee hee. Oh I hope it helps you. It is all worth it glad to hear baby is doing well. How many wks are you?
Hugs and pain free site changes,
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Pump seems to be helping

Postby Beth » Aug 21, 2004 8:36 pm

Thanks Emily, Blue, Andy and Carrie (think I got everybody)! I got the pump on Wednesday, it seemed to have started helping.Scheduling hasn't gone so well--the first time it ran out was 4am, then today I needed a new cartridge and didn't realize it until the meds were gone. You're right, I could tell within a half hour of it running out (couldn't get home before then) that the nausea was coming back. Came home, changed the cartridge and got a bolus dose, so now as long as I take it easy it should kick in.

We're moving on Monday/Tuesday, so there's lots to do. I boarded the dogs until then, so that should cut down on the work a little. Dh is still in the Netherlands, won't be home for a week, so I've got my MIL here (good and bad, that) for a while longer.

I did notice the first time I changed the injection site that the "button" was already coming loose. I think I've been doing too much running around, and now I've got the whole thing taped down securely instead of just the stickies that come with the kit. Anyone who's getting one--make sure you shave your thigh area well, otherwise it really hurts to yank off the extra tape! Actually, that's the most painful part, to be honest. The needle is really only 5/8 of an inch, but it still looks kind of scary. It doesn't hurt, especially if you use an ice pack on the area first. The only side effect I've had is a bit of a restless feeling, especially after getting a bolus dose, but it's hard to say if that's the meds or just life in general at the moment that's causing that :D

I'm now almost 20 weeks, so halfway there. Thanks for being there and reading this, I'll write back more and check in on how everyone's doing when I get a chance to take another deep breath!

Hope everyone is doing well...Beth
Beth

Postby leah44 » Aug 22, 2004 8:41 am

Hi Beth,

I used to hate that beeping in the middle of the night. I'd be asleep & then "beep beep beep" for more meds. I always thought that it was annoying but better than throwing up 15 times a day!

As for the needle, I could never inject myself. My husband had to do it for me. As first he was a bit nervous but then I think he actually got a little satisfaction out of it! :) My legs got really sore so I actually had to change the site every day a few weeks into having it.

Just so you know, while going through it, your legs might look very red & splotchy. I have no scars or marks from having the pump. They went away shortly after the pump did.

And BTW, I loved Matria. My nurse was so nice. It was nice to get that phone call every day. Despite being in NY, she even called me on 9/11. I was shocked!

Hope you feel good.

Leah
(Derek, born 4/22/02, another boy due 12/6/04)
leah44

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 22, 2004 12:57 pm

Matria rocks! I called them the other day to inquire about the last time I was hyperemetic and they spent 30 minutes on the phone counseling me about hyperemesis despite the fact that I'm no longer a paying customer.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby carriedodson » Aug 22, 2004 2:03 pm

Hey Beth,

It's great to hear you in good spirits. I know you are ready to have dh home. You are almost there. Only a few months to go. Matria is great about sending you supplies so don't be afraid to go through 3 syringes a day. Go ahead and give yourself a new one before bed so you won't have to wake up to that annoying beeping. If you have any allergies or redness to the tape, let your nurse know. If you feel your site coming out, change the site it might have gone haywire. I am sure you'll be a pro in no time. I would still look for my pump to put in my pocket after I got off of it I had it soo long. I was so happy to be pump free I actcally went swimming the day after it was out of my leg.. I felt so free. Anyways, the restlessness is normal especially after a bolus. I had bizarro dreams that I was swallowing and choking on batteries during the pump. I can't remember if I told you that. talk to you later!
Carrie
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

Postby MamaLily » Aug 22, 2004 8:27 pm

Beth -

Hi! I wanted to welcome you officially to this 2nd Tri forum! I'm a moderator here but have been gone for a week...sorry I haven't chatted with you sooner!

Anyway, I'm glad that the pump seems to be helping. Good luck with moving...I hope it all goes well! I moved twice when I had HG (luckily the worst was over by then) and it was tough to sit around while there was so much to do! But I knew that it just wasn't worth it to push myself too much either.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Return to Second Trimester HG