Hello everyone

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

Hello everyone

Postby lisee22 » Mar 30, 2007 4:01 pm

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been so impressed with the support that everyone offers each other. What a wonderful resource this has been. I am currently on my 2nd pregnancy. I have a little girl who will be two this month and I am currently 15 weeks pregnant.

I have had a rude awakening this pregnancy. Zofran was a miracle drug my 1st preg. But it hasn't worked the same this time around and my HG is worse. It was a hard blow, and I've been struggling with feelings of guilt because I can't be the same mom to my 2 yr old that I was before my pregnancy. If I would have known I think I would have waited longer to get pregnant for her sake. My husband is in Dental School and really busy with that so it's been really hard for me.

I am so glad that I've found this site and all of you. It really helps to have others really understand.

Elise
lisee22

I'm new too

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi Lisee!

My name is Flecky and I'm new here too. This is my 1st pg and I'm 14 weeks pregnant. So far the Zofran has been my miracle. I can actually keep down small portions of bland food - m. potatoes, grits, toast, etc. and some gatorade or water. As of today, I've lost 37 lbs due to HG.

I'm sorry to hear about your 2nd pg and having HG again. If the Zofran isn't working you need to ask for something else. I found out early on that if I didn't ask, they weren't going to give me anything. There is a section here all about the different medications and interventions availabel to us. Its really helpful!

With your husband so busy, is there anyone near you who can help? Maybe a combination of people will be able to help? I urge you to call neighbors, friends, relatives, anyone, that can come and help you while your husband is not home. Even if they take your daughter for a walk while you rest, its something. Don't feel guilty about it either. Asking for help is ALSO being a good mom too! I know some women who even put their child(ren) in day care so that they can deal with the HG without worrying about their care.

I commend you for attempting another HG pregnancy. I know in my heart I just will never be able to do this again. My husband tells me we'll adopt or use a surrogate - maybe, but he promises that I'll never have to deal with this again. You have the courage that I don't.

Good luck to you!

Flecky :hugs:
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby catsandfrogs » Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm

Welcome Elise (and Flecky)

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with the meds this time... Have you tried drug combinations? Most of us have found combinations are necessary to get relief.

It sucks but HG does tend to get worse with each pregnancy (that's been my experience anyway). I'm having a slightly easier time this pg than with #2 only because we started meds right away.

Glad you decided to join us!

Shannon
Shannon

dd#1 - 8 years old
dd#2 - 4 years old

ImageImage
catsandfrogs
HG Expert

Postby tlm5999 » Mar 30, 2007 6:32 pm

Welcome to both of you. Congratulations on your pg. Sorry you have to join us though.

Lisee- Don't worry too much about the guilt towards dd. We all experience that at some point with subsequent pgs. But I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that she really won't remember any of this. Kids are pretty resilient too. She'll be just fine, I think it is harder on us than on them. On the Zofran try combining it with another medication. A lot of women on here, including myself, have better luck with a combo than with any single drug. Reglan or phenergan are a common combo with the Zofran.
Valin 05-15-03 HG
Liam 11-19-04 HG
Anna-Marie 9-3-06 Lost an angel
Jonathan Declan 12/28/06 Lost a twin
Declan James 8-8-07 HG
Joseph 6-4-09 non-HG
tlm5999
Opinionated HGer

Postby 3sEnough » Mar 30, 2007 6:37 pm

Welcome Elise and Flecka!!!

I have also had HG worse with each pregnancy...this one by far has been my absolute worst (thank goodness we were prepared and started meds immediately).

Always remember, we are here for you.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
3sEnough
Opinionated HGer

Postby chloesmommy » Mar 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Welcome Elise, and Flecky too! I'm sorry you have HG again. and that the Zofran is not working as well for you this time. I second Shannon's and others' suggestions to consider combining with other meds. There are some who have had good results with steroids...you can try searching the boards for threads on that option.

As for the guilt RE: your DD, so many of us struggle with knowing that we neglecting our children. I also have a DD, 4 yrs old, and I am saddened thinking about how much of her precious life I am missing. I can only look to the future, once the baby is born, and remind myself that this is a temporary sacrifice for all of us, in exchange for the gift of a lifetime.

See you around the boards....
Debbie L.
3xHG
#1 Chloe, born 8/25/02
#2 m/c 9/06
#3 due date 10/14/07
chloesmommy
Opinionated HGer

Postby sarah23 » Mar 30, 2007 7:09 pm

Nothing to add here, but welcome!
Sarah
sarah23
Master of HG

Postby acorn26 » Mar 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Welcome, Elise. And I know the pain and frustration that comes with feeling like you are not being the mom you could be. Please be patient with yourself. I tell myself this every day!

We will be able to resume our mommyhood status once we feel better! Our children will thank us for the life long sibling we are giving them. I truly believe this. I have to believe this.

Sending you good wishes and peaceful thoughts~
Amy

[/url]
acorn26
Devoted to You

Postby Cindygirl » Mar 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Welcome to the both of you! Congrats on making it this far...second tri is an accomplishment!

Elise- So sorry Zofran doesn't seem to be your miracle this pg. I second, well maybe that's third or forth the combination idea. You can look at the page on this sight about drug interventions available as someone else has mentioned and you could also look at the sticky here on second tri about Zofran/Unisom/B6. I hope you can find a combo that works well for you!!

Flecky-I'm glad you're able to keep something down. That's great!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to you both!
Mommy to:
Kalli-9 yo dd, moderate HG
Tiarra-5 yo dd, no HG
Michael-2 1/2 yo, mild HG
PG with baby boy, moderate HG

Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Postby Susannah » Mar 30, 2007 10:31 pm

I had good luck with combining zofran and meclizine which took away my motion sickness and reduced my nausea. Hope you find something that works for you :hugs:
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby phillipakk » Mar 31, 2007 3:06 am

Welcome to you both! I hope these boards are as useful to you getting through these horrible days as much as they are to me.

I second (and third and fourth) all the above info.

HG really sucks but the girls here are amazing!

:hugs:
Phillipa
4xHG
Max - July 2002
Nathanial - January 2006 (14 weeks)
Gabriel Kasi - April 12 2007 (stillborn)
Lost Angel - October 2007 (7weeks)
phillipakk
Been There Done That

Postby phillybrenda » Mar 31, 2007 10:17 am

Elisa and Flecky -

welcome, and ditto on all of the good wishes already being sent your way! looking forward to chatting with you both!

Brenda
phillybrenda
Devoted to You

Postby Princesshood » Mar 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Welcome ladies to second tri.
If you want to make a ticker just click on someone else's and follow the directions.
I think you already got some very good advice. Nice to have you with us.
:hugs: Sara

Jak, Angel Baby since August 2006

Princesshood
HG Diva

Return to Second Trimester HG