steriods

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

steriods

Postby britmom » Dec 01, 2006 12:57 am

Hey i know i haven't posted for forever i tried to stay off the computer and it was broken for a while! I have been having tpn for 11 weeks now and just got two new stitches in my central line! I have been taking prednisone 10 mg a day for 11 weeks too and its been my miracle drug! Now the doc wants to wean me off to 5mg a day and the last time i did that i was bad! Has anyone else taken this drug? If so for how long? They also want me to have another u/s i'm almost 24 weeks and had my last at 19 weeks and all was well....I don't wanna ask why cause im happy to be having one but also a little confused....thanks and ihope everyone is feeling fluffy! :mrgreen:
ImageImage
britmom
Welcomed Friend

Postby teddi » Dec 01, 2006 3:16 am

I did a round of steroids in my first pg.

I started on prednisone- 60 mgs. I'm impressed that 10 mgs did anything for you! I started on 60 and every 5 days, I tapered down 10mgs. IE 5 days at 60, 5 days at 50, ... the problem was once I got down to 30... had to up back to 40 and try and wean again. I was on for a total of about 5-6 weeks, til I tapered completely. It did help when I was on 60-40 mgs. But less than that and it didn't work.

I still vomited though and dang it all if keeping the PILLS donw (maybe there's another form? like iv or shots?) wasn't the hardest part of all. The first week on them I did make a weight GAIN, like 2-3 lbs. Unfortunately i lost that in the weaning process. I hated the side effects. I could barely sleep...and i had very very mad mood instability/swings and was SUPER BITCH! And also suffered from depression.

If you have problems weaning, and yet 10 mgs helps... ask the dr about staying on. Generally it's the long term (months) at higher doses that is associated with complications/side effects.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

thanks

Postby britmom » Dec 01, 2006 3:20 am

thanks for that! Yeah i was on 40 mg at first but she weaned me down...i will see how the 5 mg works but its been a godsend to me none of the other meds worked and i haven't had many side effects thankfully! I'm still 19 pounds down from my pre preggo weight..i'll see im just scared
ImageImage
britmom
Welcomed Friend

Postby 4rivers » Dec 01, 2006 12:53 pm

i was on steroids too. they gave me methylprednisolone. it didn't help me gain weight but stopped the downward spiral of weight loss. (was losing a pound a day in the middle) it also helped me start eating a little. drinking was really hard. and swallowing the pills was a nightmare (really bitter) and hard to keep down until my aunt suggested covering them with a very, very thin layer of tootsie roll and then swallowing that. That took away the bitter taste and made the pills smoother and easier to swallow. My doc said that i could get IV steroids too when i was having trouble keeping it down but said i could only get that in teh hospital. and i really didn't want to go back to the hospital yet again. I always feel like i ended up feeling worse at the hiospital cause i couldn't sleep. i also had insomnia from hte steroids and ended up fighting htat with benedryl at night that worked.
Tasneem
4rivers
Been There Done That

Postby sarahsmom » Dec 01, 2006 3:31 pm

I was started on an IV steroid, Solu-Medrol (in an attempt to control the vomiting) while in the hospital at 7 weeks pg. We started my TPN and Zofran pump while there too. I got to come home with it with detailed instructions that including a sliding scale to wean off of it over about 2+ weeks. I've not been back on it since then thanks to my Zofran pump... we did have to increase my infusion rate of Z a couple of times though. I understand your fears completely! It does sound like you're on a pretty low dose already so hopefully cutting back won't be too difficult this time.

Enjoy the unexpected peep at your baby!

:hugs: Susan
Susan married to Jackie 4/98
Sarah 6y/o mild HG 8wk-18wk
My precious angel, Jesse, stillborn 3-2-05 Severe HG 6wk-birth
Our Miracle, Nate, Severe HG 6wk-birth

Induction at 37 weeks on April 9!!!
sarahsmom
Been There Done That

Postby E-Mom » Dec 01, 2006 8:56 pm

I took methylprednisolone for two weeks and it was the best two weeks of my pregnancy. I started with 48 mg/day, then 36 mg/day, then 24 mg/day, then 12 mg/day...and as soon as I stopped, the vomiting started again. I just started the methlprednisolone again (two weeks later) and I'm taking 36 mg/day, and I feel much better, but the vomiting hasn't completely stopped. I have a hard time sleeping, but I'm not so zombie-like or nauseous. Benadryl helps for my rash and helps me to get to sleep. And yes, the pills are disgustingly bitter. I put them in tapioca pudding to swallow them. At my appointment I was officially up 5 pounds, two days later, without my hydration, on my scale, I'm up 2 pounds (I'll be 27 weeks Monday).

The other thing is that I had a midline, and administered 1000mg-2000mg/day of a lactaided ringer, but I got a rash from the tape and scratched it out one night. I definitely need to get a PICC, but I'm stalling because I can't stand the thought of another rash yet. I think if I took steroids AND had hydration, I'd be in pretty good shape.

I hope this helps a little. It helps me to read everyone elses contributions, too.
Stephanie
Elliott, Kate, and Cole Image Image
E-Mom
HG Diva

Return to Second Trimester HG