I feel stupid

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

I feel stupid

Postby foxwoodfaerie » Oct 22, 2004 12:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here, my name is Ruth. I posted a (LONNNG) intro in the new and pg forum.
I just need some advice on how to help myself feel better about asking for help. I feel like such a burden and I feel like everyone thinks I am exaggerating my pain. I don't ask for help when I should, I wait till it is really bad.
I didn't keep any food or liquid down for almost three days before calling my OB and she just sent me for one bag of IV fluids and I got sent home. I knew I still didn't feel right and needed more, really expecting them to admit me instead of sending me home but when they sent me home, I didn't say anything, just dragged my sorry butt outta there and went straight to bed.
Now, two days later, I've had one small bottle of water since then and that's it to drink. I've kept down a little food, which caused my intestines to cramp up, putting me in unbelievable pain. I'm afraid to eat, afraid I'll either throw it up or have the cramping intestines again and I can't drink. I don't know what to do.
I feel like I can't ask to go into the hospital cause my OB will think I'm exaggerating and my husband will think I just want attention and it will be a burden to him to miss work to watch our two kids.
I just don't know what to do.
Sorry this is so long.
Ruth
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby MamaLily » Oct 22, 2004 3:12 pm

Ruth -

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling right now! HG is so horrible! I know what it's like to feel miserable and to not be able to eat/drink...it is a very discouraging feeling!

I do have a few suggestions for you. First of all, I think you ought to go in for fluids again - NOW. If you haven't been able to drink/eat for such a long time, your body desperately needs outside help. I know how hard it is to ask for help...maybe if you think of it as help for your baby rather than for yourself it will make asking easier. Dehydration always made me feel more discouraged and helpless. Some additional fluids will hopefully pick you up enough to evaluate your situation better.

Another idea is to find someone (husband, sister, friend, mother) who will help you fight for what you need. I honestly don't know how I would have survived without my mother, who stepped in and made decisions when I was too sick/dehydrated/weak to make them myself. She would say, "You need to go to the ER NOW for fluids" - and then she would drive me there, tell the doctors what I needed, etc. At the time, my mind was playing those dehydration "mind tricks," and in that state I often figured that one popsicle could last me for several days. Wrong! After those much-needed trips for hydration, I was always grateful that my mom had pushed me to have it!

Have you already directed your husband to this site? Perhaps he would benefit from reading other stories of women who are sick like you. Yes, it may be hard for him to take off work to care for your children - but it may just be necessary for a little while until you can become stabilized.

I'm sorry this is so long. Hopefully one of these ideas may help. Please post anytime...we are all here for you! I know you can hang in there and it will be so worth it in the end!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Ask for help!!!!

Postby capri0405 » Oct 24, 2004 1:31 pm

I am on my third pregnancy and finally switched doctors. My first OB with my first two children told me to take Emetrol, which did absolutely nothing for me except make me sicker. When my new OB seen I had lost four pounds in one week, he asked what had worked for me before. As my first doctor never diagnosed me with HG, I had no idea what he was talking about. When he started talking medications I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. We started with Phenegran, which did not work, switched to Reglan which worked for about ten days, then that did not work anymore, I am now on Zofran ODT which I just started. The way I got introduced to my new OB, I was in the hospital with vomiting in my last month with my last pregnancy and my OB was on vacation and this guy was on call. He prescribed Zofran and it worked wonders. I actually wanted to eat which I had not wanted to do for about seven months. With my first pg I lost fifteen pounds, with my second I lost tweny-six. My new OB says, "We are going to stop it before it gets to that point."
All I am trying to say is, ASK, because help is there. And my advice, if your doctor doesn't give you the medication, switch doctors. I did and I am greatful my doctor is concerned about the vomiting and weight loss.

Hang in there and don't feel like a baby, it is horrible to feel so bad all the time and feel like a weeney...

Wendy
Mom of Alysha 3 yrs
Zach 9 months
PG 13 weeks
Wendy
capri0405

Return to First Trimester HG