Read this- Marijuana is the only way to stop the nausea.

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Re: Read this- Marijuana is the only way to stop the nausea.

Postby shlynn87 » Apr 24, 2012 8:20 pm

MJ is definitely a miracle! In fact it makes me literally cry knowing how many women whom are suffering from HG and do not know how amazing of a relief it can give. Let alone the illegalness of possessing it.

I have been given so many different pills, which makes me uncomfortable as it is, i have tried Accupuncture, "natural remedies," and frequent visits to ER for dehydration, and malnutrition. Although, Zofran (disintegrating 4mg) has helped a lot, it only helps with keeping me from throwing up. I still feel nauseous, and can't eat, drink,

If i take just a FEW puffs off a marijuana cigarette, I am able to eat drink and function! :) I'm not saying that i feel 100% better, but i feel better than i ever have on any manufactured drugs prescribed to me.

Just research side effects of marijuana and compare them to the side effects of prescription drugs. Which makes more sense? Something natural, or something made in a lab with who knows what?
shlynn87

Postby LittleCathy05 » Apr 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I'm suffering so bad and just as soon as I thought I was feeling a lil better I've started to relapse in the last 2 days which is so scary n I feel so miserable. Ive discussed this option with my husband and we both agreed I should try it. I've never touched recreational drugs so I'm nervous but I need some sort of relief. I'm dying here...I'm sure of it. Not even IV is helping and the constipation associated with Zofran is another form of hell altogether. I'll let everyone know how I go. Fingers crossed. X
1st preg: Severe HG-IV line, Steroids, Zofran, PICC line, Hair loss, Kidney Failure- Lasted 8months
2nd preg: due Oct 2012: Moderate HG- Zofran, Steroids, IV line
Sending you all light and love x
LittleCathy05

Postby teddi » Apr 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Just research side effects of marijuana and compare them to the side effects of prescription drugs. Which makes more sense? Something natural, or something made in a lab with who knows what?

It's all chemistry. Many naturally occurring elements are quite naturally lethal. At the cellular level its all about what chemicals are in any given substance. Many good things are manufactured and not everything natural is helpful. Not all groweries are equal too- so unless a source is known there can be chemical exposure even in plants or herbs. I am not judging you for this choice btw. For sure it does seem there is a very good argument for MJ versus other pharmco drugs and if it helps it makes tons more sense to eat what you can and stay hydrated with a low risk option than invasive, expensive, miserable therapies. I do strongly encourage women to research where their source is coming from and also to look at alternatives to smoke (any MJ user for that matter). Vapor or eaten if dosing can be figured out is safer than smoking anything- even home grown alfalpha.

@ LittleCathy, I hope you get relief in some form.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby LadyJella » Apr 25, 2012 10:54 am

At the worst of my hg, I would have been willing to try almost anything. I think CA is closing down all of the medical marijuana places. What a shame. I don't know how open my doctor would be to this either. Maybe I should move back to Berkeley. Lol. (and this is coming from someone who never smoked throughout college in Berkeley)
LadyJella
Been There Done That

Postby LittleCathy05 » Apr 25, 2012 6:40 pm

So yesterday my husband managed to get some and rolled up a cigarette joint thing! Just to let everyone know yesterday I was a vomit away from hospital seeing I hadn't held anything down and I was extremely desperate for any relief. So I took 3 puffs and wasn't sure what I was going to expect. Firstly I don't smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol or rarely take panadol- so I didn't know how I would feel! Well- about 10mins after I felt my eyes get heavy, the nausea lift (the relief was so good) and the gagging and saliva barely noticeable. Although I noticed it was lingering in the background I wasn't bothered by it at all? In the two and a half hours after I managed to drink 4glasses of hydrolite, a litre of water(sipped) 1 bowl of vegetable n chicken soup and a handful of almonds!!! My husband even thought he might get lucky (Fat chance)!!! When the effects wore off the nausea did come back but honestly not as bad as I had rehydrated myself enough. I eventually vomited later that night but barely anything came up? It was like I had already digested my food!
This might not b for everyone and I won't use it unless I'm extremely bad but yes it does bring much needed relief and i actually had the giggles? My first laugh in 9weeks. Xo
1st preg: Severe HG-IV line, Steroids, Zofran, PICC line, Hair loss, Kidney Failure- Lasted 8months
2nd preg: due Oct 2012: Moderate HG- Zofran, Steroids, IV line
Sending you all light and love x
LittleCathy05

Postby notcoping » Apr 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Not judging at all so please don't read it that way I am genuine when asking this for my own information but what about the withdrawal effects on the baby?
DS1 - Morning sickness
DS2 - Morning sickness
DD1 - undiagnosed, undertreated moderate HG
This baby - Moderate HG, Zofran, Maxalon, Phenergan
notcoping
Welcomed Friend

Postby DivineLotus » Apr 25, 2012 11:49 pm

I live in CA and there are medical marijuana places on every corner. There one less than 150 feed away from my home. I would have given it a try, I should have.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby Arias » May 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I will definitely try mj if I ever get pregnant again. Any relief from the nausea would be welcomed.
Arias

Postby sweetpea » May 02, 2012 8:01 pm

As far as testing you after the baby is born - when we were in foster parent training they told us that if all the showed up was a little marijuana then they wouldn't take the baby. They only take the baby for harder stuff - that's how they do it in Indiana anyway.
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby Ari1028 » May 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I ran out of Zofran again and my insurance is taking forever to authorize my refill. I gave it a try out of desperation. I have a pothead BIL and I live in CA so the stuff I tried was extremely potent and strong. I took only one small puff from a blunt and started coughing like crazy, to the point where I had to get out of the car because I couldn't breathe. I sat on the curb and felt like I had to vomit before I could feel better, but every time I gagged, I would just cough. I literally couldn't throw up if I wanted to. Once I could catch my breathe I went back inside and had to sit by the fan because all that coughing made me sweat. It gave me instant heartburn and I could taste the bitterness from my burnt esophagus with every drink of water I took. I HATE the feeling it gave me, I layed in bed trying to relax for about an hour. It made me feel so guilty the first few minutes because I felt so pregnant... it is hard to explain. I was able to function all night after I did it. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, took my prenatal, and ate. I was sick once I woke up, but I was expecting that to happen. I will do it again tonight and probably every night until I get my refill authorized. As much as I hated the cough attack and the actual high feeling, it beats not being able to get any nutrients.
Ari1028

Postby zoe-down-under » May 07, 2012 7:45 pm

This is such an important thread. I'm so proud of all of you for coming on and sharing your stories of this.

Some women get to a point where nothing is working -- or like pp they don't have access to their meds for a while. I truly believe that this information could save a woman (or many women) from terminating due to desperation.

xxx
Zoe from Australia
DD '98 - Moderate HG
Foster DD joined us in 2004 - No HG! ;)
Angel loved and lost Jan 07 - Severe HG
zoe-down-under
Been There Done That

Postby CarliBear » May 07, 2012 9:42 pm

i agree, this medication can save mothers and babies lives in the treatment of HG. after trying every single medicine, this is the ONLY thing that has allowed me to eat even a little. i've been in the hospital for almost 6 days now and have been rudely reminded that mmj is the only reason i have been able to eat and maintain my weight (i've already lost 8 pounds being here without it).

i just wanted to remind everyone that there are many other options to smoking. don't forget even if you can only get down a super small amount, a few drops of concentrated canaoil can have the same effect with less of a "high" that lasts much longer. it's easy to make at home yourself and if you live in CA or a mmj friendly state it should be particularly easy to find.

i also recently discovered the e-go T, a vaporizer hash oil pen that is far more powerful than smoking but is still a vapor. i got it from a friend and it was 40 bucks at a dispensary. you can buy it online but the hash oil would be up to you to find (any longterm marijuana user would probably know where to find it).

if you can't get access to either of these things, even smoking outweighs the other options (malnutrition, termination, ect.) and has in no way proven to have the same ill effects (if any ill effects) in comparison to many of the class C drugs we're forced to use. i hope every woman in desperation will try it as an option before terminating.
Last edited by CarliBear on May 12, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

severe HG from week 4- delivery at 38 weeks. countless IV's, four PICC lines, one portacath, 3 blood infections, eighteen ER visits, seven hospital admissions, so many medications, 24-7 fluids and zofran pump. born perfect on 7.28.12.
CarliBear
Been There Done That

Postby joanna81 » May 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you so much for this post.
The vapour pen looks very good.
I truly believe that MMJ saved my last pregnancy. I had to have some before eating, and usually stop part way through so I could eat the rest of my meal. Hospital was awful without it. Their meds are just not effective alone.
It hasn't been as effective this time, but have found ingesting it to be more beneficial.
It is such a taboo, and I felt such shame for it at times.
I have not been able to find such an effective medication, yet I have to hide it.

One huge word to non smokers, if you do try, leave out tobacco of any sort. It will make you cough and give you a little while of feeling a nicotine high which can be very unpleasant. Mixed with tobacco it also turns into a different drug(the chemical reactions between them)

We used to medicate with this drug before the governments told us we were not allowed. It was freely available in pharmacists. Queen Victoria used it regularly for menstrual cramps.
I am currently watching a thread else where of a lady dying of terminal cancer using to what seems so far to very positive effect(fingers crossed).

It was/is desperation for me. Without it nothing works and I vomit everything. With it, I can at least partly function some of the time if I am lucky.
joanna81

Postby faithlove » Jan 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Well, I'm not going to say I am trying this but I will say I am on an alternative therapy that involves a vapor pen. I have been eating and drinking and taking Zofran (only 8 mg a day right now!) and having regular BMs! I even went off my unisom combo, which we felt very unhappy about taking since it's a sleeping pill. I do the alternative therapy twice a day. I'm still basically bed ridden because I am afraid movement causes nausea, and I'd rather die than cause more nausea, but I am actually getting a lot of work done online each day and I can read to the kids, and do their homeschool work from bed.

The downside is feeling hungry and thirsty while feeling like I can't eat or drink, though I do both and I'm fine, and also an annoying disoriented feeling. Food aversions (pretty much everything I had before and didn't feel well after) are still present and it's hard to know what to try to eat or drink next. But the fact is I'm eating and drinking (some) and not needing an IV or anything else so far. Praying this continues to work.
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby faithlove » Jan 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Put a tiny bit of alternative in a Lara bar and baked it today and it is the best I've felt in weeks. I ate and drank just like a normal person and wasn't even particularly picky, just very hungry and thirsty-- and able to eat and drink! Sort of amazing.
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby backagain2013 » Jan 15, 2013 9:01 am

I don't know how you could get past the taste of it. Yuck, makes me gag just thinking about it. Whatever works....
backagain2013

Postby BWFMom » May 15, 2013 3:17 pm

I really wish wish women knew what a miracle marijuana can be to help HG. I am a working mother of two. Married, work in a corporate environment and own my own business. I have never been a drug user although I had tried marijuana as a teen and did not like it, hated it in fact. I suffered through my first pregnancy with HG and was prescribed promethazine. While it helped, I never felt relief. I was so tired I couldn't even function and was always worried about taking medication while pregnant. When I got pregnant a second time and HG returned I researched the use of marijuana during pregnancy for weeks. What I found was amazing and there were so many moms who used medical marijuana to help with this condition and had delivered healthy babies who had grown into healthy adults. Out of desperation and several trips to the ER for fluids, I started seriously thinking about marijuana as an option. While in the ER I asked the nurse if they were going to give me promethazine for the nausea as that's what I had taken the entire duration of my first pregnancy she replied 'oh no, we don't give that to pregnant women anymore because it makes their veins explode.' That was all it took and I was on my way. I was scared to try it and never felt like it was a 'great' option but felt it was the safest. I never 'got high' I literally only took one or two small puffs and the relief was immediate. After not being able to keep any fluids or food down I was able to eat entire meals and hydrate myself. I felt human again and knew the benefit or being able to eat and drink and not be depressed over how awful I felt far outweighed any of the possible risks that fear mongering people warned me about. Because I wasn't getting high and only taking small puffs the nausea did return every few hours. I smoked most of my second trimester and into my third when I felt sick and had a very healthy full term baby. She is now almost two and is healthy and very advanced. My daughter doesn't just meet milestones early, she bulldozes them. I haven't smoked since pregnancy and have zero interest. I would absolutely use this method again for future pregnancies and recommend moms do their research and seriously giving it some thought if they are also suffering from this awful disease.
BWFMom

Re:

Postby Mimilabeille » May 29, 2013 12:14 am

ztca4me wrote:I'm using it. I used it with my last pg, and is allowed me to get completely off medications. It is the only thing that saved me or my baby girl. I swear, I don't mean to sound judgmental, but when I hear people say "I would never do that!" for their various reasons, I just don't believe they've ever been in the truest pit of HG where you would rather DIE than go on another day. I have been there, and I can never ever go there again. When choosing between death or aborting a living baby, or smoking mj, I will choose smoking every time if it gets me thru this hell. My baby girl is alive, perfect and healthy, and she has a chance at LIFE, whatever it brings, even if it brings some difficulty some day as a result of the mj, that is STILL better than no life at all.

Helo there I have never smoked mj but I really need a way of havin a protocole ready to get pregnant I don,t have children and I am 41. Pure mj or with tobacco? How often? Together with other meds? What about the baby? Thank u so much. YOU LADIES GET MUCH MORE INFo in the USA compared to the country I live kn
Mimilabeille

Postby teddi » Jun 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Helo there I have never smoked mj but I really need a way of havin a protocole ready to get pregnant I don,t have children and I am 41. Pure mj or with tobacco? How often? Together with other meds? What about the baby? Thank u so much. YOU LADIES GET MUCH MORE INFo in the USA compared to the country I live kn

No, don't use tobacco. Best not to smoke it at all, but injest or as others mentioned in this thread use vapor versions.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby BoBaby » Jun 29, 2013 6:03 am

Hello Ladies,

Just to make you all aware, there is medical grade THC which is REMARKABLY effective for HG. The downside is that using THC, separate from actually smoking marijuana in pregnancy hasn't been studied. The only studies are observational, based on mothers who smoked heavily during pregnancy. So, doctors will tell you not to use MJ, and people get all freaked out about it, but medical grade THC is a remarkably effective treatment. I suspect it's safer than steroids for serious HG (It's all serious, isn't it?).

I used medical THC for my first pregnancy to avoid hospitalization and more severe malnutrition. My husband researched it quite a bit when I was so sick with my first. He got some medical MJ for me in a vegetable glyerin base, which was slightly sweet and I could just put a dropperful under my tongue. It's worth considering, but get the oral/edible form. We did one other version cooked in a brownie which actually worked even better. I don't know if it's because it was a different strain of MJ in the brownie, or if it was just higher dose. This was a miracle, and two large brownies got me through the whole first trimester. I would take just one bite late each afternoon (it was strong) and then within 20-30 min would be hungry. This was the only way I could keep fluids down and eat more than popcorn. Once we discovered this I was able to stop my weight loss and it's the only reason I avoided hospitalization.

DON'T SMOKE IT in pregnancy- that does have known risks. Other posters are right, if you ask around, it's not hard to find.
DS 2011- HG- B6/Doxylamine/Zofran/Phenergan IV fluids, vomited to 26 weeks, nauseated to 41. Very healthy baby.
Pregnant again April 2014. Hoping early aggressive treatment helps.
BoBaby

PreviousNext

Return to First Trimester HG