Read this- Marijuana is the only way to stop the nausea.

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Read this- Marijuana is the only way to stop the nausea.

Postby MGSurviver » Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm

I have tried everything- zofran (pill, dissolving tablet, pump, IV), reglan, B6, Unisom, IV fluids, etc... Some of these things stop the vomiting for a bit, but they never take away the nausea. Finally, my friend who also had HG told me to try smoking marijuana. I knew a guy who had some and decided to give it a try. It was a miracle. I smoked 1 (ONE) puff and the nausea was gone!!! Relief! Downside is that it only lasts a couple of hours and makes you sort of sleepy, but even so, one second of being nausea free is amazing! Also, it makes you very hungry and thirsty, so at least you can get some nutrients, calories and fluids at some point during the day. My friend said she smoked everyday of her pregnancy and her baby is meeting all milestones ahead of time. He is a genius :)

Please listen to me- give it a try- I am not some weird hippie- I am a professional woman with 2 other children, normal home, etc....
MGSurviver

Postby Beyas » Jan 18, 2012 6:03 am

If I knew where to get some, I would happily try it! Anything to get even one second of relief is worth it in my book. Glad to hear you found something that works for you!
Beyas

Postby eliana1300 » Jan 18, 2012 8:55 am

As I understand they have just legalized medical marijuana in NJ, but there is no place to buy it yet, nor do I believe there are any OB that would actually give me a script for it. But I am glad you found something that works! Maybe by the next time I am pg, it will be more available.
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby Hotbrass » Jan 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks for your post! I really believe that HG suffering can be GREATLY reduced and many if not most symptoms relieved by marijuana use. Unfortunately it's all about the money and chem lab created "cures." Every state should make legal provisions for serious health related uses.
Last edited by Hotbrass on Jan 16, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HGx4 - Long term dental issues and Esophageal Damage
Tank (19) Untreated! Fought Pre-E last 6 weeks
Angel (17) Untreated!
Cougar (10) 6 Zofran pills. Mild PPD
Pumpkin (4) Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, IV's, Zofran and you name it, I've probably tried it.
H.F.G. is in the arms of Jesus (Miscarriage at 3 months/I was 40) after 2 months in bed sick.
Hotbrass
Been There Done That

Postby joy_g » Jan 19, 2012 9:25 am

i sincerely hope that medical marijuana becomes widely available in the US. i would actually consider getting pregnant again if i knew there was relief available.
i, too, know that my friends would be shocked by this. my husband doesn't even really believe me that i'd be willing to try mj, if it would help... it's that far from our lifestyle.
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 19, 2012 10:29 am

Did not work for me, but it was certainly worth trying!
In CA, you need a doctor's recommendation to have and use it legally, what that means practically is that all your doctor needs to do is document that you discussed that MJ has been used to treat your problem - they do not need to write a prescription.
A lot of counties have dispensaries and you need an official card to get some there, that might require a written recommendation from your doctor and most conventional doctors wont do this, but it is easy enough to get in those areas.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby slterwil » Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

I desperately wanted to try this my last pregancy. Unfortunately, I live somewhere where women are drug tested around delivery and I would potentially have lost both my kids if I'd tested positive. I think it's such crap too. I would have loved to try something natural that we know sideeffects for than all of the synthetic drugs it was "okay" for me to take but had risks associated with them. Only after the last pregnancy did I learn I could have at least tried the marinol pill.

During my first HG pregnancy we went camping at a family member's property with a bunch of other people (had no clue I had HG...just thought pregnant women were supposed to puke all the time and feel like crap and lose weight). Anyway. Being pregnant and barely eating I turned in way early and apparently caught one hell of a contact high from the people right next to my tent who were smoking pot all night. Had the strangest dreams I've ever had. Anyway...woke up next morning ravenous for the first time in weeks. I didn't vomit and was able to eat. It was amazing. It lasted two whole weeks before the vomiting returned...and never went away until I delivered. Those two weeks were the absolute best part of that pregnancy.
Sandy
Angel baby 12/2005
Angel baby 5/2006
Angel baby 10/2006
Angel baby 9/2007
My sweet Erin 10/2008 5 lbs 10 ounces: untreated/undiagnosed HG from 6 -37 weeks (delivery)
Baby Riley 12/2010 6 lbs 9 ounces: HG from 6 weeks to delivery at 37 weeks (actually treated--PICC, IVs, subQ pump, Zofran, evil phenergan, benadryl, antacids--and *almost* got to be fluffy in the third tri)
slterwil
Devoted to You

Postby eliana1300 » Jan 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Sandy, I think they drug-test here too on delivery, but I am wondering how could they tell? I mean, okay, marijuana they probably could, but don't poppy seeds show up just like opiods (sp?) in the blood or urine? I seem to remember something like that (especially since DH like poppy seed or sesame seed rolls ;) ).
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby Hotbrass » Jan 20, 2012 12:36 am

Just thought I would share a bit of info regarding drug testing and the use of MJ. I understand the concern and would personally suggest you discontinue use the last month before delivery if mandatory testing is required in your state.

"For cannabis consumers, pot’s primary metabolite THC-COOH is fat soluble, and may remain detectable in urine for days and sometimes two-to-three weeks after past use in regular smokers. Most standard urine tests can be easily influenced by dilution.

Blood tests, unlike urinalysis, detect the presence illicit drugs, not inactive drug metabolites. In general, THC only remains detectable in the blood of cannabis consumers for a few hours (though low, residual levels may be detected in chronic smokers for up to 12-24+ hours if more sensitive technology is used). Because of this narrow detection window, blood tests are typically only administered in the workplace post-accident in order to estimate recent cannabis consumption."
HGx4 - Long term dental issues and Esophageal Damage
Tank (19) Untreated! Fought Pre-E last 6 weeks
Angel (17) Untreated!
Cougar (10) 6 Zofran pills. Mild PPD
Pumpkin (4) Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, IV's, Zofran and you name it, I've probably tried it.
H.F.G. is in the arms of Jesus (Miscarriage at 3 months/I was 40) after 2 months in bed sick.
Hotbrass
Been There Done That

my experience

Postby ellebelle » Feb 25, 2012 9:21 am

ok so i tried it ONCE... out of desperation last preg..
it didnt really make me feel amazing... in fact i still felt terrible not so much nauseaous but just BLAH.... i know i could eat... well i ate a big mac..first food in a while... and well it didnt feel amazing to eat it or anything..but it did stay down... so
YES it can help with keeping down food...as marijuana can supress the gag reflex...just like that saying something about drinking beer and smoking weed is bad cos u cant vomit up the alcohol i dont know lol....
anyway i think its great if it works and i would happily try it again but i think i tried it too late so i was already too far in...

im very much PRO natural....but im worried if i get some it will not be pure :S i dont wana hurt my baby ... and ill be judged by whoever sells it to me haha. any tips on this??

and is there reserach on safety and how much we should smoke
Belle

Angel baby Jaidyn 20/09/2008 due to HG :( lost at 13 weeks VERY severe.

Angel baby summer lost at 7 weeks. Got severe at time of miscarriage, was mild/moderate until 6 and half weeks. 05/08/2009 rip angels.

"i will not be beaten!!"
ellebelle
Been There Done That

Postby Hinano » Feb 25, 2012 9:11 pm

you could get a vaporiser so that you aren't getting the harmful effects from the actual smoking
Eg the no2 from vapir . Com

The thing to remember is that it won't necessarily be a miracle cure - like I first thought Zofran would be YK
It might mean you can keep some food down and maybe not feel as nauseas for a short time 1-2 hrs or so
Hinano
Welcomed Friend

Postby Fern » Feb 25, 2012 10:20 pm

OK, I have recently tried this. It was not a miracle, but it did relieve the nausea long enough for me to eat and drink some. However, it wore off fast--we're talking like 15 minutes or so--and so the food that was in my stomach sort of set off a new wave of nausea. In fact, I actually felt a little worse after. If anyone knows of a way to counteract this, or get a larger dose so that it lasts a bit longer, I'm WIDE OPEN to hearing about it. Currently on 5 meds and would love to get off everything even if it means having to use pot daily (I've never even had a puff of a cigarette and probably fewer than a dozen drinks in my whole life, that's a good way to describe my prior drug history!). We tried a homemade vaporizer, and I just have no idea how much to inhale, how much to put on the burner, etc etc. I have asthma and really don't want to roll a joint and smoke it--too much chance of having a reaction, plus coughing triggers vomiting. Ideas?
Fern
Many-time HG Survivor!

Twin Angels 4/5/12
Loss 3/18/11
Angel baby, 11/11/09.
Angel baby 5/7/09, forever missed.
Loss 9/08
Loss 8/06
HG with all my pregnancies.

Fern
HG Diva

Postby CarliBear » Feb 26, 2012 10:49 pm

i wanted to check in with you all and let you know a break i've had in my HG thanks to mj.

a few weeks ago i had really hit a wall as i am on a one of the highest doses allowable of 24-7 zofran through my pump, 24-7 fluids, round the clock additional medications (which have stopped the vomiting) yet i was still completely unable to eat or drink hardly anything.

the doctor kept bringing up TPN and wanting to get that in motion, but i have previous GI issues and my liver is already struggling. i just know it would be a bad bad move for me and i just feel it would imprison me more than i already am.

the only time i managed to eat even a little or drink was after using the vaporizer, but as others of you have expressed only lasts for a short time. i was at a last resort. either find something that works or start TPN.

because of this i thought to cook up some cannabutter or canaoil to get a stronger longer effect and figured if i could even choke down a little it could help.
i've been managing to get at least one half of a protein shake a day down, so i just made up some butter (it's fairly easy) and have been melting it and mixing it in with my shakes everyday. the shake masks the taste completely and although it doesn't take away all my nausea, it somehow gives me a real appetite!

i've been eating things my body craves, like fruits and veggies everyday- something i could not even begin to think about two weeks ago. i've even put on four pounds or so just because i've gone from eating nothing to something. and that is really all i need to avoid TPN.

just wanted to let you guys know there are some other options to the vape that might work for you. really hope you all feel better soon. Xx

severe HG from week 4- delivery at 38 weeks. countless IV's, four PICC lines, one portacath, 3 blood infections, eighteen ER visits, seven hospital admissions, so many medications, 24-7 fluids and zofran pump. born perfect on 7.28.12.
CarliBear
Been There Done That

Postby babygiggles04 » Feb 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Hinano wrote:you could get a vaporiser so that you aren't getting the harmful effects from the actual smoking
Eg the no2 from vapir . Com

The thing to remember is that it won't necessarily be a miracle cure - like I first thought Zofran would be YK
It might mean you can keep some food down and maybe not feel as nauseas for a short time 1-2 hrs or so

How an this be used in a vaporizer? Am telling you am willing to try anything!!
Mom to
Yariliz Angelie 2/1/1999 --- severe HG
Gabriela Ailsa 6/19/2002 --- severe HG
Kaleb Joel 3/3/2005 ----severe HG
Sarit Zoe 5/22/2007---- severe HG
Jahziel Eli 1/16/10----- severe HG (worse yet)
Expecting #6 EDD 9/17/14
babygiggles04
Been There Done That

Postby Hinano » Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

I know someone who uses it instead of smoking. The one I mentioned is electronic so it heats to a precise temp and it has a tube you breath through for a short while so you get the effects without the smoke. It apparently only has a small aftertaste but is much nicer than smoking/pipe etc
They are about $200
Hinano
Welcomed Friend

Postby CarliBear » Feb 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Hinano wrote:I know someone who uses it instead of smoking. The one I mentioned is electronic so it heats to a precise temp and it has a tube you breath through for a short while so you get the effects without the smoke. It apparently only has a small aftertaste but is much nicer than smoking/pipe etc
They are about $200

i use the iolite, it's nice and small but gets the job done and is perfect for one person use. hope that helps.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CFsQ8wIwAQ

severe HG from week 4- delivery at 38 weeks. countless IV's, four PICC lines, one portacath, 3 blood infections, eighteen ER visits, seven hospital admissions, so many medications, 24-7 fluids and zofran pump. born perfect on 7.28.12.
CarliBear
Been There Done That

Postby babygiggles04 » Feb 28, 2012 7:26 am

Wow! Very expensive! Lol thanks hun i will look into it!!
Mom to
Yariliz Angelie 2/1/1999 --- severe HG
Gabriela Ailsa 6/19/2002 --- severe HG
Kaleb Joel 3/3/2005 ----severe HG
Sarit Zoe 5/22/2007---- severe HG
Jahziel Eli 1/16/10----- severe HG (worse yet)
Expecting #6 EDD 9/17/14
babygiggles04
Been There Done That

Postby ztca4me » Feb 28, 2012 11:03 am

I'm using it. I used it with my last pg, and is allowed me to get completely off medications. It is the only thing that saved me or my baby girl. I swear, I don't mean to sound judgmental, but when I hear people say "I would never do that!" for their various reasons, I just don't believe they've ever been in the truest pit of HG where you would rather DIE than go on another day. I have been there, and I can never ever go there again. When choosing between death or aborting a living baby, or smoking mj, I will choose smoking every time if it gets me thru this hell. My baby girl is alive, perfect and healthy, and she has a chance at LIFE, whatever it brings, even if it brings some difficulty some day as a result of the mj, that is STILL better than no life at all.
Lena (homeschool 3 sons ages 15, 12, 10 and a daughter who's 1 )
PG AGAIN after vas reversal
MANY time HG-er, 5/07 severe with picc line, tpn, hospital stays. Recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease.
*5/07....*9/07....*5/09
ztca4me
Been There Done That

Postby MichellevsHG » Feb 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I think we need to show empathy towards everyone's treatment decisions when suffering from HG. We don't know what their situation is. We don't walk in their shoes. Its not our place to judge others for their decisions - whether we think they are right or wrong.
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby Hinano » Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm

I don't think anyone in here has been critical. I totally support it as an option and wish it were more widely available and accepted as a medication option.
Hinano
Welcomed Friend

Next

Return to First Trimester HG