Alert: Pregnancy Constipation Can Be Serious

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

Alert: Pregnancy Constipation Can Be Serious

Postby Kimber » Sep 19, 2010 2:35 am

Constipation is a problem for "normal" pregnancies, but add changes such as dehydration, meds like Zofran, inactivity, low-fiber diet, and pregnancy hormones and you have the potential for serious complications. We hear of a few women being admitted every year for "impaction" (like blockage) that requires inpatient treatment. It's extremely painful and narcotics are usually required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowel_obstruction

Recently, a mother contacted me and let me know her daughter suffered from HG and her colon became so blocked, she ended up with a perforated intestine (basically it tore open from the pressure). She required surgery and had to have a portion of her intestines removed. She is doing ok and her pregnancy survived. She asked that I make sure mother's are aware of this potentially life-threatening complication so that something good comes from her daughter's experience.

To prevent impaction, it is important to stay ahead of constipation. Many women find successful management with a daily regimen of stool softeners (like Colace) with or without stimulants (like Senokot) and glycerine suppositories. There are also homeopathics and magnesium supplements that can be helpful. Proactive management is key. Talk to your doctor about what treatments are best for you. Once constipated, aggressive treatment that rapidly evacuates the intestines can temporarily worsen HG.

Here is an article on treatment of constipation in pregnancy.

https://secure.pharmacytimes.com/lessons/200410-01.asp
Kimber
kimber@HelpHER.org
kimber@hyperemesis.org
HER Foundation Co-Founder
Director of Ed & Research
2 pg w/nine-months of HG
Mom of two - 1999, 2003
Kimber
Forums Administrator

Postby MichellevsHG » Sep 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Thank you Kimber!
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Re: Alert: Pregnancy Constipation Can Be Serious

Postby firsttimedaddy » Mar 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Kimber wrote:Constipation is a problem for "normal" pregnancies, but add changes such as dehydration, meds like Zofran, inactivity, low-fiber diet, and pregnancy hormones and you have the potential for serious complications. We hear of a few women being admitted every year for "impaction" (like blockage) that requires inpatient treatment. It's extremely painful and narcotics are usually required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowel_obstruction

Recently, a mother contacted me and let me know her daughter suffered from HG and her colon became so blocked, she ended up with a perforated intestine (basically it tore open from the pressure). She required surgery and had to have a portion of her intestines removed. She is doing ok and her pregnancy survived. She asked that I make sure mother's are aware of this potentially life-threatening complication so that something good comes from her daughter's experience.

To prevent impaction, it is important to stay ahead of constipation. Many women find successful management with a daily regimen of stool softeners (like Colace) with or without stimulants (like Senokot) and glycerine suppositories. There are also homeopathics and magnesium supplements that can be helpful. Proactive management is key. Talk to your doctor about what treatments are best for you. Once constipated, aggressive treatment that rapidly evacuates the intestines can temporarily worsen HG.

Here is an article on treatment of constipation in pregnancy.

https://secure.pharmacytimes.com/lessons/200410-01.asp

are fleet enemas safe at 7-8 weeks? we are getting told a different story by every doctor/nurse etc that we ask... she had one and she said she felt like she was gonna loose the baby and start bleeding.. is this normal? she is reluctant to do the next one they want her to do and any info would be appreciated, the quicker the better so i can let her know.. the docs/nurses are thick as sh*t, they have had her on movicol, fybogel, suppositries, enemas, dulcolax, thats JUST for the constipation.... she has been on anti-sickness, about 5 or more different types, iv drips etc.. this is her third child and she never got constipation in the first 2 pregnancies, but suffered with (un-diagnosed) hg. its only now we have looked it up that we have educated the docs/nurses in the hospital. its not nice when you feel you cant trust the ppl that are supposed to be looking after you....

my partner is in hospital, away from me and her children, and is starting to get very run down.. any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, as this is my first child and i don't know that much about pregnancy let alone hg and enemas and suchlike... i just want to be able to help her in the best way i can..

thanks, hope someone can help
firsttimedaddy

Postby Mumsdream » Jul 12, 2011 6:56 am

firsttimedaddy,
I so hope someone mailed you with a reply. I know my response is too late now anyhow.

If you are reading/following this thread maybe you could let us know how you and your partner got on?
Mumsdream
Welcomed Friend

Postby sweetpea » Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm reading this while DRINKMENT sipping on my juice and Miralax. Oh the irony ...
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby Fern » Apr 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Yes, I had appendicitis after my first full-term HG pregnancy that was a direct result of months and months of constipation. It's really not something to take lightly.
Fern
Many-time HG Survivor!

Twin Angels 4/5/12
Loss 3/18/11
Angel baby, 11/11/09.
Angel baby 5/7/09, forever missed.
Loss 9/08
Loss 8/06
HG with all my pregnancies.

Fern
HG Diva

Postby niniko » Jul 10, 2012 3:53 am

I had a terrible constipation as hard that I even had hemorrhoids. And the only thing that helped me was a black plum, yes the fruit, It acted in a couple of hours. It facilitated me this symptoms very much.
niniko

Postby 1st time HG » Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

I am so constipated as well, I have tried ducosate , nothing works. do you have take ducosate everday for it to work? What' s the next safe thing I can take? Do not tell me furits, that's all can I nowadays. I am so tired.
Last edited by 1st time HG on Jul 12, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st time HG

Postby sweetpea » Jul 11, 2012 2:10 pm

I have to use Miralax daily, but if I can't manage to hold it down for a couple days I do a double dose in one day. I mix it in either DRINKMENT fruit juice or smoothies or icees/frozen lemonade END. My daily IV fluids also help me go, b/c dehydration makes the constipation 10x worse.
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby 1st time HG » Jul 12, 2012 9:34 am

thanks for the tip. I just got a call from OB. Since I did not have bowel movement for almost a week, she suggested glycerin suppository twice a day and colace three times a day. it worked yesterday. just hope it will work until my baby is born ( due date Dec 27, 2012). It seems so far away. :roll:
1st time HG

Postby ckschempp » Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm

With my number 5 baby, my doctor threatened hospitalization if my bowels didn't move in 24 hours- it had been 9 days. I had tried enemas, suppositories, milk of magnesium, lots of fiber, etc. He finally told me to try Cascara sagrada- a powerful herb, with milk of mangnesium. 15 hours later, success! Zofran just shuts my system down, and cascara is the only thing that has ever worked. It is contraindicated during pregnancy, but my ob gave me the go ahead in lieu of surgery. I have to say that the constipation was way worse than the nausea and vomiting, so I only take Zofran in phases, when I can't keep even water down. It's an awful way to grow a baby :cry: , but I love them so much that I'm on number 7 (5 weeks and fingers crossed)!
Mom to 6, due 4-24-13 with no. 7
HG with 1,3,4,5 and 6.
Must be crazy.
ckschempp

Postby faithlove » Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/constipation.html
FOODMENTS below.
The people who mention they take magnesium citrate or other magnesium supplements are the most enthusiastic. Magnesium is naturally present in large amounts in cocoa powder, pumpkin seeds, almonds.. soak your almonds first for at least an hour and pour out the water, it makes them easier to digest. I just listed the foods that sound most palatable. I'm picking up magnesium citrate today as I just found out preg and started zofran.
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby ingrid5699 » Dec 30, 2012 4:08 am

Just needing to share this here too because it helped me so much. I was already on magnesium, Miralax, extra fiber etc and still constipated when on advice of a friend I added a probiotic supplement. And it's worked miracles! So definitely something to try especially as it's a natural supplement with zero side effects.
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12/05/06 (HG week 6-birth, managed without Zofran) and Aurelia 12/22/2008 (HG week 8-birth, Zofran=awesome!) and angel babies 11'04 (HG week5-9), NVP with loss 2'12, another hyperemesis pregnancy due May 30th 2013 (HG week 5 and counting, -7% of body weight so far)
ingrid5699
Welcomed Friend

Postby witch_baby » May 28, 2013 2:39 pm

I have been taking Zofran and Compazine which have caused constipation. I just started Metamucil and it's helpful. The orange flavor is tolerable and I haven't had it affect/make my nausea worse.
witch_baby
Welcomed Friend

Postby MichellevsHG » Sep 25, 2013 7:25 pm

I ended up in the ER for 10 hours this past Sunday with an impacted bowel due to zofran and dehydration - a few days after my miscarriage.

I can tell you all that you do NOT want an impacted bowel - EVER. The pain is worse than labor.

Please make sure that you add a stool softener to your medication combo. Do it daily. Keep track of how often you are having BMs and tell your Dr if there are any changes.
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby bsparks34 » Oct 16, 2013 9:10 am

I had horrible constipation in both pregnancies.
A little trick a pelvic physical therapist taught me is to stick your thumb in your vagina and gently put some pressure backwards towards your anus. (also keep your other fingers in a fist, to keep them out of your way) It has worked like a charm. No more painful straining for what felt like minutes. Just make sure to wash wands before and after.
Hope this helps.
Hailey 37 weeks and 29 pound weight loss (undertreated) 12/01/2009
Kendall Claire, My Sweet Angel (Still Born at 38 weeks) 02/05/2013 (40 pound weight loss and PICC line)
bsparks34

Postby suruniemi » Dec 28, 2013 3:23 pm

bsparks34 wrote:I had horrible constipation in both pregnancies.
A little trick a pelvic physical therapist taught me is to stick your thumb in your vagina and gently put some pressure backwards towards your anus. (also keep your other fingers in a fist, to keep them out of your way) It has worked like a charm. No more painful straining for what felt like minutes. Just make sure to wash wands before and after.
Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for sharing this trick! Laxatives aren't working well for me and this really helps.
suruniemi

Postby SkarletGirl » Jul 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for the warning. I know I've been constipated, but I hadn't given much thought to it. Now I'm ordering some laxatives to add to my daily cocktail of meds and pills.
SkarletGirl

Postby kate83 » Jan 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Late to this thread (and new to posting) but since it's sticky, I'm hoping someone will see it. Zofran has made going to the bathroom brutal, if not impossible! Yet another lovely side effect of HG... I have a prescription for Colace, but I haven't tried it yet since I read you should drink lots of water to make it work. I'm on an IV and literally not drinking anything, so I don't see "lots" of water in my near future! Has anyone had luck with Colace without drinking water/anything? Is there something else I should try that doesn't rely on liquid to be effective? I'd like to avoid the perforated bowels that the OP mentioned!!! Thanks in advance.
kate83

Return to First Trimester HG