how to mentally prepare...4wk pg and feel fine now but......

Moms with HG in their 1st trimester.

Moderators: Kate, *Mel*, Natalie, janbabe

how to mentally prepare...4wk pg and feel fine now but......

Postby halgal427 » Jul 06, 2004 10:41 pm

i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope with the impending doom of hg. i'm having a really hard time. i can't sleep at night wondering how bad it will be and how i will get through it. i wonder if i will wake up ill or if i will have another day of feeling normal.

i am 4 weeks and 6 days pg. this is an unexpected 4th pg for me. i was not planning on doing this again. i start to sweat just thinking about how horrific hg is and i can;t even remember how bad it actually feels. i cry all the time when i look at my girls. i know what this is going to do to them. my 4.5 yr old said to me today that maybe the new baby died so i won't have to be sick. i know she doesn't know what that really means but it still makes me think about how this will impact my whole family. i also am so afraid that i won't be able to handle the pain of hg.

this is making me so crazy that i almost just want it to start so that i won't fear it so much and so that i can get some of it out of the way. so i can know what to expect and i will handle it. isn't that crazy???

any advice would be great.
thanks,
kim
edd 3-10-05
haley 4-96
devyn 11-99
isabelle 12-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

I hope it won't be as bad as you think

Postby kitty_doc » Jul 07, 2004 1:09 pm

I am 7w6d with my 4th (also unexpected) pg. I had moderate to severe HG with my first pg in 1988 which lasted until 22wks, then, had mild to moderate HG with pg#2 in 1991--this only lasted until the 18th week. We then experienced unexplained infertility and didn't have another pg until 2002 and I had severe HG which lasted until I was 34wks. I became pg this May and had been feeling pretty well until the last couple of days and actually was worried that the pg wasn't progressing because I felt so well, but I am feeling the telltale constant nausea getting worse and even with the Zofran I don't feel normal anymore. I am praying that I am hitting the peak of it right now and it will get better, but of course I am expecting the worst too. My advice is to start right away on the B6, Unisom at bedtime and an antacid likje Zantac twice a day. That is what I have been taking and I swear it has held off the worst of it for me. I am only taking Zofran 8mg once a day right now and it is getting me through. I believe that being proactive and delaying the HG will make it easier on you. I am trying to enjoy every day and every minute that I do not feel horrible and continue to pray that this will be my easiest pg yet. I pray that you will get through this too and be able to enjoy your pg. Best wishes!
Julie aka Kitty Doc
Rebecca 5/17/88 mod HG 22wks
Jessica 5/24/91 mod HG 18wks
Kathryn 5/2/02 severe HG 34wks
Olivia EDD 2/14/05 mod HG from 7wks to now
kitty_doc
Welcomed Friend

Postby halgal427 » Jul 07, 2004 4:20 pm

hey julie,
concrats on the you new pg. i hope that you will only be feeling better and not worse in the weeks to come. i'm going to take your advice and start the zantac. i ordered the sublinqual b6 online today and hope to get it here as soon as possible. i'm taking the 50mg b6 3/day right now and plan to start the unisom soon. i feel so good right now i don't want to feel tired all the time. i think in the next few days i will start it at night.

i have felt great today. it was a beautiful day here and i kept looking at the sky and praying for more days like this. i tried to focus on breathing the fresh air and enjoying every moment i have until the hg hits. i will be 5 weeks tomorrow so i am praying for another week or 2 to enjoy summer with my girls. i'm trying to line up daycare for my kids and cook and freze food. i'm trying to prepare the best i can but i still panic about hg all the time. my dh says he can see it on my face. i get all worked up inside and then i start to calm down. that happens over and over all day and night. hg is SO horrific i can't help it. i hate it when people, like my mil, says that if i think i'm going to get sick i will and that i should just tell myself "i'm not going to get sick". she is such a dope. if only it was that easy there wouldn't be such a thing as hg.

well, i will be thinking of you and i REALLY hope this is the peak of it. please keep us all posted and come back often for moral support. you have been through so much already, i hope this one is the easiest. you are very smart to plan and be proactive. best wishes,
kim
edd 3-10-05
haley 4-96
devyn 11-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 09, 2004 3:24 pm

Kim, you're really doing a lot of things with prep right. Try to make sure you're getting a good amount of liquids in while you're still feeling good. It was my biggest mistake facing HG (you know, in retrospect) - I think I started both of my pgs dehydrated, and well, we all know how that helps HG along!

The more proactive you do, the longer you can usually delay the onset of the worst. HG is likely to still begin (but maybe more gently) according to your usual pg pattern. The best thing you can do mentally is prepare and fight. I know that HG really is so awful, but try to get through today, little moments of time, keeping an eye on the end goal, and knowing that you'll get there by enduring the small amount of time right in front of you. If you feel like you are developing anxiety attacks, then discussion this with your Dr. may be a good idea. I know several HGers to have been treated for anxiety attacks during their HG pgs, and I'm sure they'd be willing to share their experiences with you - I'm pretty sure they are in the forum about coping with depression and anxiety during pg.

Huge hugs to you, and hang in there. Keep trying to enjoy what you can, and perhaps that Unisom at night will help you relax enough to get the sleep you need. You're not crazy wanting HG to "go ahead and start already" - waiting for when is the worst.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to First Trimester HG