Any good obs/doctors in AUSTRALIA?

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Australia and NZ to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderators: Trudy, Roni84, Moderators

Any good obs/doctors in AUSTRALIA?

Postby Gemika » Nov 12, 2008 4:57 pm

I live on the Gold Coast and have recently given birth to my first son after HG. My mum also suffered HG and struggled with our medical carers 8 years ago with my bro so I didn't expect much (and didnt receive it) when I got the same thing... But if there is a next time ITS GONNA BE DIFFERENT!! Please help me if you know someone in Brisbane/the Gold Coast... Even Ipswich, Toowoomba, Lismore??? If I can find a good Ob, maybe they will know someone closer to home and I can find out through them.

Im a very natural girl. I dont want someone to condescend because I home birthed but if I get preg again I want the drugs and EARLY! And someone to advocate for me so I can get a PICC line and regular IVs if necessary.

Love your help :)
Im a survivor
Gemika
Welcomed Friend

Postby Natalie » Nov 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi there

Congrats on the birth of your lo.

Research has shown early intervention is important in helping reduce the symptoms of HG and keeping it as manageable as possible.

Also, we have a few home-birthers on here, me being one of them. I hope yours was a fantastic experience.

We do have a few Aussies on here but I can't remember off the top of my head where they are. I'll have a think about other Aussies ladies and get back to you!

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

thank u

Postby Gemika » Nov 15, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks, I had a great experience. My doula tells me it wasn't a straight forward birth as bubby was a-cynclitic (big word for coming out on an angle) she said thats why some contractions were intense but normal and others times i would get four really intense ones on top of one another and my transition lasted an hour and a half... But it was an AMAZING experience and I count myself blessed to have experienced it. Ppl think I had an "easy" birth because of my attitude towards it and good words about the experience.

I felt that HG was a LOT harder than birth. I think birth was twice as intense but it only lasts like max 40 hours and you know that when you are experiencing it. HG metalled me to the pain of birth. Its also a positive thing unlike HG. The hormones are amazing and in between you are just in bliss. So zonked out...

Our home had the most amazing ambience. So warm and full of the Holy Spirit! For weeks after it felt like this beautiful presence and positivity just permeated everything.

Asher was born in the birth pool just after sun rise. I looked at the window which had fairy lights twinkling while doing my last pushes and saw the light coming in the crack. On the first day of Spring too! WHat a blessing and positive end to a journey...

Its so cool to be able to have this amazing pleasant view of childbirth rather than all fear and coldness and sterile walls. Cool huh?!
Im a survivor
Gemika
Welcomed Friend

thank u

Postby Gemika » Nov 15, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks, I had a great experience. My doula tells me it wasn't a straight forward birth as bubby was a-cynclitic (big word for coming out on an angle) she said thats why some contractions were intense but normal and others times i would get four really intense ones on top of one another and my transition lasted an hour and a half... But it was an AMAZING experience and I count myself blessed to have experienced it. Ppl think I had an "easy" birth because of my attitude towards it and good words about the experience.

I felt that HG was a LOT harder than birth. I think birth was twice as intense but it only lasts like max 40 hours and you know that when you are experiencing it. HG metalled me to the pain of birth. Its also a positive thing unlike HG. The hormones are amazing and in between you are just in bliss. So zonked out...

Our home had the most amazing ambience. So warm and full of the Holy Spirit! For weeks after it felt like this beautiful presence and positivity just permeated everything.

Asher was born in the birth pool just after sun rise. I looked at the window which had fairy lights twinkling while doing my last pushes and saw the light coming in the crack. On the first day of Spring too! WHat a blessing and positive end to a journey...

Its so cool to be able to have this amazing pleasant view of childbirth rather than all fear and coldness and sterile walls (and mean scary ppl taking charge of your body). Cool huh?!
Im a survivor
Gemika
Welcomed Friend

Postby di » Dec 11, 2008 1:09 am

i know this is an old post but if you have another preg, i'd definately recommend the mater mothers in brisbane. i am due to have my second child there in march. good luck
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

thank you

Postby Gemika » Dec 11, 2008 3:19 am

I appreciate the response!! Actually my mum had my brother there 8 years ago after a HG pregnancy. She went private - i think there is private and public there hey? Were you private. I dont have insurance though I will consider it for next time. My mum was trying to get me to go up there like 3 weeks before Asher was due! But I really needed the help earlier. If you were public were they good with giving you ondansetron on the drip etc because mum was really mistreated at another hospital earlier in the pregnancy until her insurance kicked in, and at the private hospital they were MILES better. But when I asked her she wasn't sure if the public part was as good. If you were private throughout was it very expensive on top of insurance - if you dont mind me asking. Me and my husband do ok but we are not that well off - especially with the expense of zofran too
Im a survivor
Gemika
Welcomed Friend

Postby di » Dec 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi :)

I'm a public patient this time. I was a private patient in NSW with dd. I paid through the nose for everything - we estimated between $7 thousand and $10 thousand for weeks in private hospitals, zofran, anesthetist for c/s etc, and thats not counting my lost income. My OB was good but I decided that the expense wasn't worth it this time especially since I've moved to QLD. The nurses in the (newcastle) private hospital were bitches too :twisted:

So I went to logan hospital for fluids this time around with a call from my gp AND a letter and still had to wait 5 HOURS before they hooked me up. Next time I went to GP I asked could I go somewhere else and he suggested the mater. Mater is about 30 mins from me...but they saw and IV'd me within 15 mins. I was admitted to MM for 10 days. they tried a lot of things to help me and they are reasonably familiar with hg. I was about 14 weeks by then i think. They offered me steriods which helped A LOT and currently I am med-free. They are great with follow up and diet related stuff too - lol even though i would puke every time the dietician came in :D So except for going home meds, i never paid a cent for that. Of course its your choice but I have had both public and private and not noticed much of a difference - only in price - not care!!Plus MM has a brand new wing which i was in which was nice too :P The only 2 things I will say on the minus side for MM are:
1) They are a Catholic Hospital and therefore will never offer you an abortion (i dont think) no matter how sick you get
2) I asked about a TL or hysterectomy when they do my c/s with ds this time but again because they a catholic, they won't do it = they aren't even allowed to prescribe the pill or anything.

Their level of care is good and I think they do have a private section, but I really can't see how the care would differ much!

Hope this helps
Cheers
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Great info!

Postby Gemika » Dec 12, 2008 12:14 am

Thatstastic thanks for your help. I had the same time. One day I hadnt held down any fluid or food for 2 weeks and hubby asked me if I was dying and I surreally thought "yes" which was strange to realise. Dont know how I lived that long as you are only meant to live 7 days without water... Anyway I somehow made it to the hospital where steve went in and asked how long the wait was and was told 3 hours. There was NO WAY I could do that. What was I meant to do? Lie on the floor in my own vomit? Anyway its shocking isn't it! :verygreen:

Im really suprised about the whole pill/abortion thing. I didn't realise this was the case with Catholic hospitals. However I have to say I am rather supportive of the not OFFERING abortion thing. Personally a big reason I made it through pregnancy is my inner convictions about that. But at the same time, im sure it was at the martyr and not the first hospy they told my mum she was the worst case they had seen since a woman had a theraputic abortion at 5months due to HG 3 years earlier. So I dont think its out of the question.

I will seriously consider moving to Bris.

Thanks heaps!!! If you ever wanna talk pm me. Maybe I could come help you out some time. You arent far away. Just ask
Im a survivor
Gemika
Welcomed Friend

Postby michy1078 » Mar 01, 2009 3:06 am

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I suffered terribly with my first pregnancy with HG and am only now (4 years later) thinking about trying again. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Obstetrician who can deal with this? I live in Sydney and my closest hospital is the Sydney Adventist Hopsital in Wahroonga.

Thanks
michy1078

Postby ladyhump » Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm not sure about your area, but in Newcastle I have found that any of the private OB's are quite familiar and happy to give you zofran, but any of the GP's I went to just had no idea and would not prescribe anything.

My OB with both preg is also happy to write zofran scripts ASAP even though I don't see him until 12 weeks, which is good.

I think if you google it one of the womens hospitals in sydney is quite good for HGers as well as far as having day visits for fluids etc..
ladyhump

Postby Beck » Mar 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi there,
Im in Sydney as well! I have had three great obs in sydney plus a Fantastic GP! When I was in Newtown Dr Ian Hill was fantastic (he delievers at RPA and the private at Randwick) But my other doctors were south and south West so no good unfortuantely. My friend who had HG who lived in the North - had terrible HG care ie no zofran until I told her to tell her ob she needed it!!! I reckon you need to be very proactive and in control and its heaps better!

PM me anytime - i would love to help
:-)
beck
hg survivor x 5
1 dd, 3ds and one in heaven (born sleeping @ 15weeks)
Beck
Devoted to You

Re: Any good obs/doctors in AUSTRALIA?

Postby nehaali » Aug 25, 2014 5:16 am

Its so cool to be able to have this amazing pleasant view of childbirth rather than all fear and coldness and sterile walls (and mean scary ppl taking charge of your body). Cool huh?!
nehaali

Return to Aussie/NZ Mothers