Irish HG Husband - Great Web Site

Welcome to a special place for mothers who live in Eirp[e to discuss HG and pregnancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Irish HG Husband - Great Web Site

Postby MJ » Jan 08, 2007 5:44 pm

As a husband of a just diagnosed HG sufferer I just wanted to comment on how good this site is. I have learnt a lot in the last 2 hours reading the forums. I am also frustrated at the lack of knowledge in the Uk about this and the GP or DR comments of " its all part of pregnancy" as if its our own fault, or keep taking the ginger biscuits.
I feel very useless also and fustrated for my wife as for the first time I can do nothing to help her at all, and there's me telling her to eat up. But now I can only imagaine the emotions she is coping with as well as HG.

Week 14 now, she's back in hospital for the second time after just having 2 weeks HG free, and us thinking things were getting better.

Thanks again, for the knowledge.
MJ

Postby PamelaRose » Jan 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Hang in there! Understanding and treatment of HG seems to be way behind the U.S. in most parts of the world, but you poor UK families certainly do bear the brunt of HG ignorance! I've got a few women in Ireland who volunteer to get in touch with others going through HG and trying to navigate the system, so if you'd be interested in speaking with one of them let me know.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Natalie » Jan 08, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi MJ.

Welcome to the site. So sorry your wife is suffering.

Which part of Ireland are you in? Do you come under the NHS or are you in the Republic?

Will type mor tomrrow when more time - baby just woken :roll:

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

MJ Resp to Natalie

Postby MJ » Jan 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi Natalie, Pamela

We live in N.Ireland so come under the NHS just like the rest of the UK. The nurses etc do seem do do their best but not much they can do.

My wife is still in the hospital after 5 nights and was on the mend again but has started just today feeling quite ill again. They have changed the type of drip to include a doss of medicine that will cause sleepiness and rest the stomach for a while.

I have told her about all the other suffers on this site and she is re-assured knowing she's not doing something that brings on the condition.

If you don't mind me asking did you suffer for the whole pregnancy ?, as the hospital say it should stop at week 20 - 21 so another 6 weeks to go.

Hope you got the baby settled.

Thanks for the offer to contact someone Pamela we may avail of this later on.

Bye.
MJ

Postby Natalie » Jan 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi again MJ.

My apologies for not writing back when I said I would :oops:

It sounds like they may be giving your wife Phenergan which can cause drowsiness. I hope it helps her get a few good night's rest in and reduces the vomitting. What else has she tried?

Well, when HG ends depends on each person. I think for every HGer the worst part is most definitely the first tri so please re-assure your wife that she should almost certainly be over the worst. She 'should' be starting to see some improvement very soon as in the next few weeks. I think most people (myself included) tend to see a great difference after week 20 and it is true that ifor some women, HG lasts until delivery (or in the worst case I ever heard of until 3 days post partum). Unfortunately for you and your wife, you don't know yet which camp she is going to fall into - the week 20+ or week 40 camp. It's kind of an added torture - the mental anguish of not having a definete end date unless you count the end of the pgy. Please bear in mind though that even those rally, really, really unlucky people who get HG right up to the very end of the pgy say that the 3rd tri is nowhere near as bad as the first.

There have been lots of different theories for why some people get HG. There is some link between high saturated fat intake and also some kind of issue to do with the liver. There have also been links to a bacteria that lives in the stomach. There are loads of different theories - some of the research has been able to prove links and then there seem to be just as many women who don't have any of the above but still have HG. Basically, it just majorly sucks.

One thing that is really important is to ensure that when your wife gets home, she rests as much as she possibly can. Fatigue can exacerbate HG so even if she feels a bit better (relatively speaking) warn her not to get all excited and overdo stuff (easily done when you've been that unwell) because it will just set her back.

Another piece of advice - ditch the ginger biscuits!! Trying to cure HG with typical morning sickness remedies - it hardly ever works. I refer you to the 'I got crackered' forum (as in 'have you tried crackers in the morning before you get up?' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:) for pages worth of evidence where nice people are trying to be helpful in suggesting traditional morning sickness remedies but just not understanding that HG and morning sickness are different beasts.

For fluids what seems to work for quite a few women is cold (as in straight from fridge) or frozen water or very weak FOODMENT Orange juice / squash END FOODMENT.

Please wish her well from us, she is not alone and when she comes home it would be fabulous to 'meet' her. Maybe she could introduce herself in the second tri forum and meet some other mums to be who are due the same time as her.

Do post again if you want any further advice / support :) Good luck!! ANd of course, well done on being so supportive. Many SOs are not so supportive when their partner is suffering through HG.

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » Jan 12, 2007 3:14 am

Hi MJ, Congratulations to you and your wife on your pregnancy! :D

I was on phenergan with both of my girls (19 months and 3½ months) and it does make you drowsy, which isn't a problem if it's your first child and she stays at home, but not good if you need to drive or go to work etc... Also phenergan is notorious for causing the jitters, restless leg/body and it really is a pain...BUT... I had to carry on taking it because the restless body wasn't as bad as the nausea/vomiting.

Things seem real tough right now, but she'll get there, I had two kids in 2 years (to the day, found out I was pg with #1 same day I had #2 only 2 years apart) and had HG with both, let me tell ya, HG-ing for 16 months out of 2 years is NO fun, but I did it and have two beauitful girls to show for it.

All you can do is be there for her, and do anything she asks of you (and of course come here and update us and ask advice!), you're doing a great job!
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Return to European Mothers