Link Between HG & Gluten Intolerance

See research studies underway and learn how you can participate.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Link Between HG & Gluten Intolerance

Postby Laura » Mar 18, 2012 6:50 pm

After having my first (and only so far) HG baby back in May 2009, I've kept my eyes open for ANYTHING that could help with Pregnancy #2. I think I might have finally discovered it and now I am very curious whether other HG'ers have experienced anything similar. I recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant and have started to come across some women's stories linking their gluten intolerance to HG. I am also uncovering several stories of women who found out they were gluten intolerant after HG pregnancies. Does anyone know of more research on this or have similar experiences?

Thanks!
Laura
Laura

Postby eliana1300 » Mar 21, 2012 2:11 pm

I haven't heard of any research regarding this, nor do I experience this myself. My son is gluten intolerant (allergic really), but I do not believe that is related to my HG experience. I have known too many moms that have had, say, peanut allergic kids, when they had or had not consumed peanuts during pregnancy. So I don't believe my son's condition is related to my HG.

However, I am hearing a lot about gluten-free helping many disorders and conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis and heart disorders. I know that I do feel less lethargic when I eat less gluten, but I don't have an intolerance or allergy to it. I have not had an adverse reaction to it, other than less energy, nothing like hives or GI problems or respiratory problems that would indicate a reaction. I know others here have done gluten-free diets and seen improvement in their every day lives, but not necessarily with HG (it isn't hard to avoid gluten when you can't eat anything anyway, unless that is all that you crave!).
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby MichellevsHG » Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm

No gluten issues here. I don't think they're related either. In fact most of my safe foods had gluten in them. Go figure! 8)
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Re: Link Between HG & Gluten Intolerance

Postby MamaBLC » May 15, 2012 1:30 pm

I was gluten/wheat intolerant previous to my pregnancy. Another pregnant mama friend (also HG, unfortunately) said that intolerances and allergies "subsided" for her and so I have been eating wheat, dairy, beans, soy (all my intolerances) just to get enough protein, calories, etc. in my body. While I have been able to eat them I still experience the normal pregnancy congestion.
I imagine I will go back to my intolerances the second the baby comes out, though, so this is interesting that HG may be related. If I could go back to the vegan wheat free (as well as soy and bean free) diet and believe I could get all my calories and nutrients I might.
Thanks for this to ponder and research!
Due August 27, 2012
Want to be happily surprised about the gender (even though we have guesses)
On Generic Zofran since 10 weeks, 2x day in my 2nd Trimester
MamaBLC

Postby joanna81 » May 22, 2012 1:48 pm

I asked Dr's in the hospital, I was desperate for something that would explain it. I brought up gluten intolerance to a few different docs and it was dismissed by all, saying that it isn't a condition that comes on in later life, though I have again read otherwise on the net.
They wouldn't test me for it, it is quite a big thing to cut out when you are limited with food choices in the first place...
joanna81

Postby faithlove » Sep 06, 2012 2:26 pm

I just posted about this in another forum. I'll copy it here:

Hello fellow researchers, I thought this might interest you as it did me.
http://www.picklemetoo.com/2012/04/11/gluten-and-pregnancy-my-personal-experience/

I have been studying nutrition informally for 2 years now ever since my last pregnancy when I had hyperthyroidism and found out I had hypoglycemia among other things. We have drastically changed the way we eat, but even more so the way we think about food and disease. I am convinced HG has a driving nutritional reason behind it, and I don't know what it is. The GAPS diet is a temporary diet that heals the gut through *FOODMENT* nourishing meats, broths and fermented foods. Our family has incorporated a lot of these things in our diet though not completely. It also leaves out wheat based foods at first until the gut can heal from any gluten (the protein in wheat) intolerances. GAPS has cured austism and food intolerances when done completely. I do not know if anyone with HG has ever completed the GAPS diet and shared about it.

The blog post I linked above really piqued my interest because I am now 10 week along (I think) and wondering if the dietary changes will have any effect on my HG this time. It's certainly the first time I haven't eaten pure junk. I have been nauseus and preemptively taking zofran in quarters throughout the day (leftover from last PG). but I am really staying away from all sugar and very low on carbs. After reading the post above, I guess I should cross wheat off the list, just in case and I have suspected I may have a gluten intolerance. The theory might be that pregnancy enhances these intolerances to gluten, lactose, etc and causes such a reaction that we continually throw up.

If you have HG right now and would like to experiment with me as I attempt to eat the following gut SUPERfoods if you can: FOODMENTS
sauerkraut- this is covered in tons of beneficial bacteria, millions in a single bite. I like the tang right now it's sitting well with me
whole chicken (no antibiotics and free roaming is best so that your liver has very little toxins to process)
chicken broth (same thing, make it from bones of a healthy chicken)
aloe vera juice-- this is just something that doesn't taste bad to me right now.
fruits and vegetables-- carrots, grapes, broccoli
hummus
cheese-- the easiest are individually wrapped mozzarella cheese sticks
organic plain yogurt-- this is really good with cocoa powder put in it, which is high in magnesium and can help with constipation.
RAW MIlk if you can get it. This is much better than pasteurized, store milk which has antibiotics. Pasteurization kills the very enzymes that allow easy digestion of milk, hence the high rate of lactose intolerances.
Almond milk- Easy to make your own or buy
coconut milk

As you can tell I am NOT in the throes of HG yet, just at the beginning but I can't help but hope I can keep it at bay with an improved diet!
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths
HAD hyperthyroidism and have hypoglycemia.
Began alkaline diet, healthy eating in 2010. We have been lowering sugar intake and making healthier choices and now only organic or all natural--can't wait to see if this affects HG!
Not giving up hope for fluffy pregnancy! "Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby 9907tanya » Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm

I had two hg pregnancies in 3 yrs. I am now gluten intolerant immediately after the birth of the last one. I beleive thee is a link and was happy to see your post. Thank you
Mother of 1.5yrs hg 4wks til 6 months
Currently 6 months preg hg 4 wks on going treated with nothing worth noting that works. Iv fluid zofran
9907tanya

Postby leahmsilverman » Feb 08, 2013 8:32 am

I'm just now seeing this for the first time. Very interesting. I recently discovered I'm gluten intolerant as well. I'm also allergic to corn, and have thought it was just a gut issue. Had never really connected it to HG. That's worth researching. However, I'd been gluten and corn free for about a year before getting pregnant this time around, and this pregnancy is actually my worst hg experience so far. Also, I can say that I have been eating whole, clean foods since well before my first pregnancy (I actually struggled with infertility and began making changes to the way I eat in my efforts to get pregnant). I'm skeptical that health eating can prevent hg, since... well, it didn't for me. Heh.
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby Nan » Apr 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Faithlove - What you are doing is pretty much what I'm doing - Going 'back to basics' and eating fruit, nuts, meats, veg, and as little processed foods as possible... How are you going with your pregnancy?

I started my healthy eating 1) becasue I lost so much weight and have no energy, hoping to regain some by eating more quantity of healthy foods. and 2) To try and prevent HG - the idea that I had, which may be completely wrong, was that HG/MS is affected by blood sugar levels and I was overloading on sugar.... so if I start eating a low GI diet and cut out sugars, preservatives and additives... will it help next time?
I'm yet to see, but going to make a GP appointment and discuss it with them... when I get the courage up, I usually only go to the Dr when I'm sick so going and saying 'I'm concerned I might get 'sick' next pregnancy can you help me sort my health out' Feels a little daunting...
Nan

Postby rabika » Jul 02, 2013 2:28 am

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed
rabika

Postby mohsinj677 » Aug 12, 2013 4:22 am

:P This post is so great and nice :P

I started my healthy eating 1) becasue I lost so much weight and have no energy, hoping to regain some by eating more quantity of healthy foods. and 2) To try and prevent HG - the idea that I had, which may be completely wrong, was that HG/MS is affected by blood sugar levels and I was overloading on sugar.... so if I start eating a low GI diet and cut out sugars, preservatives and additives... will it help next time?
mohsinj677

Postby lourencohen » Mar 19, 2014 4:45 am

I am an HG'er and with my first pregnancy. Waiting from a long time we have got the glad news of pregnancy but I am very concerned whether any risk will come during the pregnancy period. The doctor already warned us about the seriousness of the situation, but the desire to have a baby actually overcame all those fear.
lourencohen

Postby Its me » Mar 19, 2014 10:45 am

I was on a GF diet for 8 months before i got pregnant with my third. I was told by a GI that I'm gluten intolerant and i should stay away from gluten and my pregnancy should be easier. Unfortunately it was my worse pregnancy, severe HG, PICC, basically it did nothing for me or maybe even made it worse. During the pregnancy I barely ate anything bc i was too sick, i did have TPN the entire time. Now I am wheat free and hoping for the best
Its me

Postby HeyJefferson » Sep 26, 2015 12:19 am

this is the first I've heard about this
HeyJefferson

Postby anandalee » Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm

I have a wheat/gluten allergy, and now have HG. Have not had any wheat for 4 years prior to becoming pregnant.

Not sure if they are connected? I generally eat super healthy-- lots of fruits and veg, etc... (all this prior to HG of course).

I know that it definitely limits foods I can eat now. And makes it all the more frustrating when I get "crackered" :(
anandalee

Postby Emilly » Feb 27, 2017 10:23 am

Very informative so far although some point cant understand but will do some research on it!!
Emilly

Return to Research Opportunities