If I had a hundred million dollars...

Need something to do in the comfort of your "home" here? Come play some games with your fellow HGers and get to know them better! Beware, it's very, very addicting.....

Moderator: HelenA

If I had a hundred million dollars...

Postby Jenny » Feb 08, 2007 10:33 pm

I love that Barenaked Ladies song, now tell me, if you won a million dollars today, what would you do with it?

Ok we upped it to 100,000,000!!! NOW WHAT?

I would get my mom proper medical care
Last edited by Jenny on Feb 09, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby phillybrenda » Feb 09, 2007 12:33 pm

great topic - and GREAT SONG! barenaked ladies are my favorite group!!! (and by the way - my initials are BNL!!)

now - to answer the question though....hmmm.... let me think about this one and I'll answer later! would you still eat Kraft dinner?! lol!
phillybrenda
Devoted to You

Postby rjdecker » Feb 09, 2007 12:47 pm

I would probably use it to buy a nice house, not really big, just something we could fit into comfortably, and then I would move away from Price (of course, the house wouldn't be here, it would be in Cache Valley, north of here)!
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Jenny » Feb 09, 2007 12:58 pm

phillybrenda wrote: would you still eat Kraft dinner?! lol!

Of course I would I would just buy really fancy ketchups to eat with it, DIJON KETCHUP!!!

I would keep my house as warm or cold as I was actually comfortable with, no worrying about gas and electric bills, no freezy feet all winter, and sweating all summer!
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby catsandfrogs » Feb 09, 2007 1:16 pm

I would pay off my mortgage and put a second storey extension on my home, renovate my kitchen that's stuck in the 60's and then, if there's anything left, buy kraft dinner stocks.

Yes ... I'd still eat KD. :)

I might help my parents out with some money for their cottage too. Man, it's so easy to spend a million dollars! :lol:

Shannon
Shannon

dd#1 - 8 years old
dd#2 - 4 years old

ImageImage
catsandfrogs
HG Expert

Postby Jenny » Feb 09, 2007 1:18 pm

Ok then lets up it, you won 100,000,000, what now?
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby catsandfrogs » Feb 09, 2007 1:27 pm

I fund the research needed to find a cure for HG!
Shannon

dd#1 - 8 years old
dd#2 - 4 years old

ImageImage
catsandfrogs
HG Expert

Postby phillybrenda » Feb 09, 2007 2:50 pm

yes - exactly what I was thinking but when it was $1 million, I figured it wouldn't be enough to fund the research...
phillybrenda
Devoted to You

Postby Jenny » Feb 09, 2007 6:02 pm

THE MOST EXPENSIVE FERTILITY EXPERTS!!!!! FOLLOWED BY the best HG treatments!
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby HelenA » Feb 10, 2007 12:39 am

I would pay for each and every HGers medical care on this forum, and pay their bills while they're sick. In the mean time with the rest, I would give the house back to the mortgage company (so the ex can't have it..lol) and buy a nice new house in Scotland, nothing big, but I have always wanted my own indoor pool. I'd plan an extended holiday to come and visit my HG sisters around the globe. I'm sure there's more but it's 5.40am :|
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Feb 10, 2007 8:27 am

I'd keep enough to be comfortable and give the rest away to good causes. Seriously, HG research, Amnesty International, Voice for change, give some to my friends and HG sisters to give to causes that are close to their hearts.

I keep saying to my dh hurry up and make big bucks so I can give it all away lol I want to be Bill Gates or Oprah and be a philanthropist!!

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Proudmama » Feb 10, 2007 2:08 pm

First of all, I would become a SAHM.

Second, I would make sure my babies were taken care of for life.

Third, I would make sure my parents were taken care of for life.

Fourth, I would pay off all of the bills.

Fifth, well, I am sure I would think of something :lol: .
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby peanut » Feb 11, 2007 12:30 am

Pay off all my bills.

Probably buy a house and save the rest.
Lora
Image Image

[/url]
peanut
Master of HG

Postby krisalis » Feb 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Travel travel travel.

Of course I'd set up the family and build my dream home , which I would probably fill with adopted kids who need a home and someone to love them.

I'd fund some charities that are close to my heart like rainforest preservation , buying well's , livestock and school's for poor villages in underdevloped nations, etc .

I'd travel .

I'd set up my studio and a gallery for local artists.

Did I mention I'd travel?

100,000,000 is a lot of money.

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby acorn26 » Feb 23, 2007 4:36 pm

I'd realistically keep 10 million for myself and immediate family. Give away 10 million to my extended family (sisters, brother, etc.).

Then, the rest I would endow to non-profit organizations that would fight for children and women around the world (starting in Africa!).

Listen, I'd be happy with a million. In that case, I'd sell this house and buy a new one. One mill doesn't really get you very far these days, does it!

Amy

[/url]
acorn26
Devoted to You

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Feb 24, 2007 11:34 am

First I'd try and figure out how to make the money grow, so there's more of it! And then, get comfy on a country estate/farm, and have lots of abused animals sheltered there. Then, I'd start or fund an organization that helps the poor, both in third world countries and in my area. I'd give money to folks who supported me when I was a poor kid in need.
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby mmichelle » Feb 24, 2007 9:22 pm

I would buy ourselves a house so we can get out of a two bedroom apartment where the rent is $2000/mo and pay off all of our debt. Start a college fund for both kids and give my dh the opportunity to quit his job so that he can spend more time with the kids and me. Invest the rest so that it lasts for awhile.
Mer

DS 4/5/04
DD 5/25/07
DS 8/8/10
mmichelle
Master of HG

Postby mrsbigdog » Feb 25, 2007 2:36 am

Buy a house without the worry of mortgage payments and replace my broken down truck, pay off bills, support my parents and mil, fund HG research and pay for everyone to attend an annual HG meeting, pay tuition for my nieces and nephews so their parents can send them to the schools of their choice without money concerns. I'd invest enough to cover any needs my children might have in the future and then set up a foundation to distribute the remained to the many worthy causes I'm involved with.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby skamomma » Feb 26, 2007 6:10 pm

Let's see... First I would pay off all of our debt and we would buy a home. We would definitely hire some movers to come and pack us up. I would put all of our siblings through school and/or pay off school loans, and give them some money just to buy a house or do whatever with. I'd pay off the mortgages for our parents. We would certainly travel. I'd make sure there was enough so that DH and I never had to work again, and set up trust funds for our child on the way, maybe one or two more, and enough for future nieces and nephews too. Then I'd set up the foundation. The foundation would act as healthcare advocates for whatever folks needed. Have HG or fibromyalgia and the best treatment for you might really be chiropracty or massage or acupunture but insurance won't pay for it? We'd help you out. Too sick to work? We'll help you out. Want to preserve your eggs before undergoing cancer treatment? We'll help you out. Can't pay for another round of IVF? We'll help you out. You kid is autistic? We'll help you out. You don't speak English or can't figure out all the paperwork and beurocracy? We'll help you out. Basically it wouuld grant money to individuals in need. And the barometer for needy would be set way higher. Each situation would be handled case by case, and you would get not only money but also referrals and just a knowledgeable friend to help guide you through the maze.

I'd also give some money to education, and it might be fun to set up a scholarship.
skamomma

Postby Jenny » Feb 27, 2007 3:31 pm

I would buy airline tickets and hotels and food for everyoen to come see dr. phil and we would party all weekend!
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Next

Return to Games! Games! Games!