Brenna Raine's birth story

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

Brenna Raine's birth story

Postby AZsungal » May 17, 2006 10:33 am

Hi everyone,

Brenna Raine was welcomed last Wed, May 10th at 4:06 PM. : )

Here is a short version of the birth story:

On May 4th, my water broke in the early morning. My DH and I went immediately to the hospital thinking that we were going to have a teeny tiny premie at 29 wks. But, after getting checked into the hospital, they discovered that I wasn't dialated.

So, I made it thru a 48 hour steroid treatment (for Brenna's lung development) and 4 nights of very, very painful contractions...they hurt more when there's no fluid there...and then I delivered her on May 10th. I was on complete bed confinement the whole time, bed pan included. BTW, everyone was right. I was beyond tired after many nights of sleep deprivation and, of course, weak after 6.5 months of HG, but pushing her out was a breeze. I only pushed twice and out she came : )

Brenna was born at 30 wks and 2 days. She's in the NICU still of course, and will most likely remain there until her expected due date of 7/17. We are very, very sad to not have her with us, but are happy that she is getting the best care possible in our area. They call her the "30 wk super star" in the ward because she needs no supplemental oxygen support. But, she does have a PICC line and an NG tube and some gastric problems. It's quite ironic because these are the same treatments I was trying to avoid. The docs have no clue as to why my water broke so my theory is that Brenna, thru God, decided to take her turn and share the pain with me.

I decided to breast feed after all so my life now consists of round the clock breast pumping. It sucks (no pun intended). I'm so sleep deprived I'm delirious...getting about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I've resorted to naps, which normally, I would never do. Even then, I'm lucky to get just an hour in.

On a positive note, my stomach feels so much better that I can almost say I'm HG free forever!! I went cold turkey off my tummy meds, not recommended, but litterally, I just couldn't keep track of when I needed to take them after Brenna was born. I think that what discomfort I'm feeling now is mainly due to hormones and lack of sleep. It feels SOOOOO good to be almost "normal" again.

Can someone please let me know how to post pics on the site? I have pics to share, but I cannot get them to be the res that is required, and I don't know how to load them.

I want to send out HUGE thanks and hugs, hugs, hugs to all of you who helped me get through my HG experience. I couldn't have done it without you. Once things settle down a bit in my life, I will be an advocate on this site, helping out other HGers. No one can understand how hard it is until you've lived thru it. (please ignore the ticker below...I need to change it when I have time).

God bless all of you,
Kendra

Mom to Hannah 5/12/94 and Brenna 5/10/06
AZsungal
Welcomed Friend

Postby Proudmama » May 17, 2006 10:48 am

Kendra,
Congratulations on your new little girl and being almost HG free. I am happy that she is doing so well for being born so early. How much did she weigh?

Hugs,
Jamie
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby Atsie » May 17, 2006 10:49 am

Kendra,
That is awesome! I am glad she and you are doing well. Thank you for sharing. As for pictures you can get a www.photobucket.com account and after you upload your pictures you copy the [IMG] code (the bottom one) and past it in your message.
If all else fails you can email it to me and I can upload them!

I am so happy for you all.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Babyontheway » May 17, 2006 11:00 am

Congratulations Kendra! I'm glad that your little one is doing okay.
Lynn

EDD May 26, 2006
Babyontheway
Opinionated HGer

Postby mshellebean27 » May 17, 2006 11:31 am

Kendra, I can't wait to hear how much she weighs and how long she is... I can't wait to see her... I am sorry you are not getting so much sleep and the puming all the time is a hassle.. Things will get a little better once you get use to it... Happy HG free days!!!! I am so, so jelouse!!!! Miss you, Michelle
mshellebean27
Been There Done That

Postby bratty477 » May 17, 2006 11:42 am

Kendra,

Congratulations!!!!! I'm so glad that your little Brenna is doing so well in the NICU. Really hoping for a fast recovery!!!
bratty477
HG Expert

Postby anna8660 » May 17, 2006 11:46 am

BIG congrats!!
I am glad she is doing so well, she IS a superstar because her mommy is too!!

Cant wait to see her,

Good for you too that you are breastfeeding, did you know God adjust our milk when the baby is early so they continue to get what they need, she is a lucky girl!
HUGS
Anna

anna8660
Been There Done That

Postby BrandiJK » May 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Oh Kendra!!!!! I have tears for you! Tears that your HG ordeal is at an end, and tears your little girl is in the hospital.

Congrats to you! Please keep us updated on her growth, sending prayers to you and your family.

You did it mama!! Such a battle you had, and you did it!!!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby nomore » May 17, 2006 12:15 pm

(((((((((((((((((((((KENDRA)))))))))))))))))))

Congrats to you for being HG free. Im sorry this has been so very rough for you.

My 2nd daughter was a preemie- 34 weeker..... she spent 14 days in the NICU.... you have my sympathies.... its very draining emotionally and physically. They told me Katie could be in there till her due date, but she was fine to come home after 14 days. There was a 30 weeker who went home at 34 weeks... so she may not need to stay till her due date... it all depends.

Katie also had a PICC and was on TPN, and had an NG tube. She will get past this... thier little tummies have to get used to having food in them and how to digest it.... it can take a while (since techincally she should still be developing and not "eating" this way).

BTW- at 4 1/2 months you cant even tell by looking at her that she was premature.... she is right on track in all ways... she is almost 13 pounds, and is even on track with her cognitive and physical development (which they told me could be delayed by the # of weeks she was early).

PM if you want to talk.....

Lots of love to you

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » May 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Wow! Congratulations Kendra! :D I hope your little girl grows strong quickly so she can go home with you as soon as she can. It can't be easy making trips back and forth to the hospital! I hope you regain your strength quickly too.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » May 17, 2006 1:44 pm

As I said on the third tri board.... congrats on your daughter's arrival. So sorry she is early and needs NICU. but so, so glad you are almost HG-free!

I can't express how happy I am for you! Look what you did! You did it! We knew you could! So very, very proud of you!

As for BFing and pumping.... yikes, that must be exhausting. My boys were full-term and good BFers. When I did pump (for work), I found looking at a pic of the baby always helped get more milk.

Congrats, and prayers for Brenna's quick arrival home!
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » May 17, 2006 2:17 pm

(((Kendra)))

Congratulations!!!!!

I've been wondering how you and Brenna were doing. I'm thrilled that she is hanging in there strong like her Mama, but I am sorry she is in the NICU.

I am so very proud of you and all you endured to bring that gorgeous girl into your family.

I can't wait to see her picture.

Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby rjdecker » May 17, 2006 2:37 pm

(((((Kendra))))))

You sound so much better, even though you are tired! I am so glad you are almost HG free! You did it! Keeping little Brenna in my prayers! Can't wait to see pics!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Hurlygirl » May 17, 2006 3:30 pm

Many, many congratulations for bringing your little girl into the world. I hope she can come out of special care before your due date and that you can rest more in the coming days and weeks. Outstanding that you are almost HG free. Go woman!

Best

Lisa
Myfanwy, 1 Nov 1995
Alexander, 24 Mar 1999
Bonus Baby, July 2006
Hurlygirl
Welcomed Friend

Postby Natalie » May 17, 2006 4:01 pm

HUGE congrats Kendra. You mafe it!!!

Hope your little girl is home safe and sound with you soon.

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » May 17, 2006 4:35 pm

OMG!! How on earth did I miss this! Congrats Kendra, and I can't wait to see pics of your darling girl. :D
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby m.ij05 » May 17, 2006 5:13 pm

:D :D :D YAY!!! Kendra! I'm so glad that things are great with you and your family. I can't wait to see a pic!
m.ij05
Opinionated HGer

Postby caleighbelle47 » May 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Congrats. My John was a preemie too. The pumping while they're in the NICU is sooo hard. I couldn't believe how tired I was. That's awsome that she's not needing oxygen though. I hope her NICU stay is short and uneventful.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby krisalis » May 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Yea Kendra!

I was so surprised to see your post. I'm so happy for you ! Here's to being HG free. I know you were suffering so badly. To have a earlier end and a happy ending is great.

Hugs to Brenna. I bet she is beautiful. I can't wait to see her. She'll grow so quickly.

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby Sarah Myers » May 17, 2006 10:03 pm

Kendra,

I am so excited for you and your precious baby girl. Yeah, she's got your spirit for sure. You KNOW she's a fighter! She's going to be great, and I bet they are right- I bet she gets to come home before you know it.

Meanwhile, sleep, girl! You deserve it! You've earned it!

I know my baby is a boy, and (obviously) he will be a little younger than Brenna, but I am looking for a good wife for him! Tee hee- just kidding- we have to keep our babies babies as long as we can!

Congratulations again! Hooray for babies! Hooray for the end of HG!!!

:-)Sarah
2 Boys- Sam, 12 yrs (no HG) & Caleb, due in July, (HG Baby)
Sarah Myers

Next

Return to Birth Announcements