A beautiful ending to a long journey! (LONG)

Announce your births and share your birth stories here.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47

A beautiful ending to a long journey! (LONG)

Postby AnneCan » Jul 28, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm finally posting my birth story! Sorry for the delay, it's been a sleepless and full week! K, sorry this is so long, but my posts always are!

Leah Marie Goble
Born Monday, July 23rd, 2012
Time: 4:49 p.m.
Length: 20 & ¾ inches
Weight: 6 lbs 12 ounces

After weeks of prodromal labour, I finally started having real contractsion (at 39.6 weeks, last Saterday evening). They were timable and painful. They got closer and closer together, and I told Chris that it might be the night! We decided to go to the hospital around 12:45am to get checked because contractions were 2.5-4.5 minutes apart and painful, and after 20 minutes on the monitor and a vaginal check, they told me I was only 1cm dilated and 75% effaced, and contractions had spaced to 5-6 minutes apart. They sent me home and told me to wait until they were back to 2-3 minutes apart. They offered drugs, but I declined since I didn’t want to get sick from them. Contractions continued all night, and then by morning had slowed down again to every 15-30 minutes. They continued on like this all day.
By 8pm on Sunday (my due date – July 22 – 40 weeks), they picked up again, and were getting more painful. I started contracting about every 10-12 minutes, and then by 11pm they were getting really strong and more regular. I contracted every 5-6 minutes, very painfully, all night long and didn’t sleep for a single minute. I timed them for the entire night, waiting until they were closer like I was told. Every hour I kept on telling myself to “wait until 6 or 7 am to get DD up, then we could go get pain medication”. By the morning, contractions were really wearing me out, but we decided to walk and rest and walk for a bit longer before going to the hospital. Contractions were so painful by noon I told DH that I couldn’t do it anymore, and we either needed to get drugs or I was going to deliver! We got to the hospital around 12:45pm, and I spent 20 minutes on the monitor. When they checked, I was 6cm dilated and in active labour! No wonder I was feeling those contractions! I was so excited that I was about to deliver my own baby! It was really happening!
We got admitted right away and transferred to the delivery suite. They checked me shortly after, and I was already 8-9cm dilated. Contractions were becoming extremely painful, and I was seriously hoping the anesthesiologist would arrive in time (which she just barely did)! I had to bend over and sit completely still through 3 body-wracking contractions while she placed my epidural. I was checked right after, and my water broke during the ‘check’ and I started pushing minutes later (in my room by 1:15, and pushing by 3:15). They started Pitocin a little ways into pushing because contractions were spaced out a bit, but everyone was telling me that I was doing great. I pushed for 1.5 hours and delivered Leah at 4:49pm Monday the 23rd.
They put her on my chest immediately, and I cut the umbilical cord myself. She was a little blue, so they took her to stimulate her and do her weight, etc. Everything was so peaceful and relaxed.They brought her back to have ‘skin to skin’ time to warm her up a bit, and I nursed her right away. Shortly afterwards, dinner arrived in front of me (FOODMENT hawaiin style chicken and rice END FOODMENT). Food never tasted so good. I hadn't eaten since the day before.

Since getting home Leah's been nursing non stop (milk finally came in today!), but she's such a mellow baby. I feel completely joyful and relieved. I'm so happy that I got my VBAC instead of a CS! I can't believe I just completed 10 months of being sick....it's so strange how one day to the next can be so different. I still have lingering nausea and reflux after eating, but at least I can eat, walk around, hold a conversation, and function! Even with the sleep deprivation I feel amazing! I imagine the nausea/reflux I feel is what most people have as morning sickness! I had the baby blues big time after DD1 was born, but this time, I'm just so happy with the pregnancy being done, and everything feels so happy. The only time I've cried was when I took my medication out of my purse to put it away forever! I just can't quite process the entire experience yet.

Anyways, I've rambled on enough....thank you all again for your love and support! You are all so brave and strong to make it through HG. Hugs to those mommies still suffering
DD1 born Jan 29, 2010. Mod-Severe HG. Started treatment at 5 weeks. c-section (breech)
DD2 born July 23, 2012. Severe HG started treatment at 4 weeks until birth. VBAC!
AnneCan
Opinionated HGer

Re: A beautiful ending to a long journey! (LONG)

Postby LucyNoah » Jul 29, 2012 3:13 am

Fantastic, congratulations, loved reading your story, enjoy all the cuddles with the new addition x
LucyNoah
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kalanit » Jul 29, 2012 4:35 am

Anne, i feel like one post doesn't even begin to express how happy I am for you. I remember how badly you wanted a vbac and how worried you were about the a section. When I read you had had a successful vbac i was over the moon. You did it! No ecv necessary! No need to try for a foley bulb! And just when I think I can't be any more happy for you, I read that you named her leah. I am personally in love with that name. Holding my hg baby leah right now as I type this post. Wow! This is amazing! I'm so so happy for you!
Kalanit
Welcomed Friend

Postby Alwayshappy39 » Jul 29, 2012 6:47 am

Anne,
I am so happy for you. It sounds like you had a wonderful birth experience! I am sure it was painful but, beautiful at the same time. It has been a long journey for you and it is nice to hear you are doing so well. Enjoy your extended family and good luck with the next phase of your life. I will be forever grateful for all of the encouragement you sent my way. My journey may have been completely different had it not been for women like you. I am still traveling down the HG road but, can see that the road does end soon. (14 days to be exact) All my best...
Erin

Little girl Brittany 1996 (moderate HG)
Little boy Jake 1998 (moderate HG)
Little boy Trace 2000 (moderate HG)

Due August 27, 2012 (severe HG)Frequent IV hydration/Zofran pump from 9 wks to 21 wks

Oral Zofran/Ambien/Frequent IV hydration and Miralax from 9 wks to current
Alwayshappy39
Been There Done That

Postby krsweetpea » Jul 29, 2012 9:15 am

A beautiful story! So incredibly happy for you. So tough to battle through such severe hg for months and then labor with such strength. Amazing!

Initially, I thought the nausea was completely gone because the slight nausea was so different. Anyway a month later I am truly nausea free. I hope it doesn't linger long for you; you deserve to feel 100% as soon as possible!

Happy baby mooning!
krsweetpea
Been There Done That

Postby AnneCan » Jul 29, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks again everyone! It was a beautiful birth experience! Like night and days difference from my CS. I felt so great right afterwards too and was able to hold my baby and nurse...I missed out on all that last time thanks to spending the first 4 hours in recovery, drugged up on opiates. I've been going for short walks, and getting used to being normal again. We went out for a victory meal yesterday, and I ate the whole thing...amazing! We have a few fun things planned already for August, and I'm so grateful to be done and recovering (my hand soap almost smelled normal yesterday!). I'm so in love with this baby!

kalanit, I promise I didn't steal the name, haha. And all through labour and delivery I kept thinking "how in the world did she deliver by herself in her car?????!!!!!" Now that is a birth expereience to be proud of! I have so much more respect for you now!!

Alwayshappy...soon mama, you'll be posting here in no time! I'm thinking of you!
DD1 born Jan 29, 2010. Mod-Severe HG. Started treatment at 5 weeks. c-section (breech)
DD2 born July 23, 2012. Severe HG started treatment at 4 weeks until birth. VBAC!
AnneCan
Opinionated HGer

Postby Kalanit » Jul 29, 2012 11:42 am

I'm not accusing you of stealing the name. I'm simply in love with name. :D and the way to give birth in a car is simple- lack of choice!
So happy you enjoyed your victory meal! It's so amazing how simple it suddenly is!
Kalanit
Welcomed Friend

Postby Pamcakes » Jul 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I am SO happy for you! You made it through a long and difficult road, and now have your baby in your arms. Great job!
Pamela

Lauren (2004). HG from week 6 to delivery. Zofran, reglan, phenergan, unisom and B6, protonix, prednisone, PICC, IV hydration, and TPN.
Angel baby (April, 2011)
Madeleine (2012). HG from week 5 to delivery. Zofran, phenergan, unisom, protonix, Zantac, PICC, TPN, and IV hydration.
Pamcakes
Welcomed Friend

Postby Brynn1984 » Jul 30, 2012 10:06 am

So happy for you, Anne! Enjoy being HG free and your little one :)
Baby boy Benjamin born on 10.22.12!
Severe HG week 5 - 18, Moderate HG week 19 - 22, Mild HG week 23 - 30
Treatments: PICC line with TPN, Midline with fluids, Zofran, Ativan, Zoloft, Protonix, Milk of Magnesia
Total weight loss: 25 pounds

http://irondadblog.wordpress.com/

Brynn1984
Been There Done That

Postby candylds » Jul 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Congratulations:).... You did an awesome job!!
*Carter ( April, 10th 2009), moderate HG. Took zofran from week 9 to week 18. Frequent visits to ER.
*Baby ( due date January 24th 2013) severe HG . Taking zofran, ambien, prednizone, reglan (almost killed me), dramamine, unison, stool softeners, ranitidini. Hospitalized, severe constipation, frequent ER visits, Acupuncture, Homeophatic Medicine, therapist, phycologist, councelors.
candylds
Welcomed Friend

Postby gremlinsmummy » Jul 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Congrats again mama! What a great birth story. I hope you're enjoying your first week with baby Leah. What does your older daughter think of her new baby sister? And I hope you're enjoying FOOD!
DD 28/02/03 HG 8-20 weeks
MCDA twin DDs 14/10/06 HG 6 weeks - delivery via induction at 36+5
DD 09/07/08 HG 6 weeks - delivery via scheduled induction at 38 weeks due to HG
DD 18/06/12 HG 6 weeks - delivery via scheduled induction at 38 weeks due to HG

"I have died every day waiting for you, darling don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years and I'll love you for a thousand more."
gremlinsmummy
Been There Done That

Postby AnneCan » Jul 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks all! The week has gone great with Leah! She's such an easy baby to take care of (so far anyways!). She barely ever cries, and she nurses like a champ! I feel so much more alive and energetic...people can't believe that I'm out and about and that I just had a baby. Geesh, recovery and sleeplessness is super easy compared to the pregnancy!
I'm so happy to be through the pregnancy, but I get sad looking at her just knowing that she's going to grow out of this newborn phase so quickly and it's my last chance to enjoy it. DD1 is taking it a bit hard, and she's much more tantrumy...getting a bit better everyday....but she is pretty loving with her little sister.
I'm getting used to food slowly, but I'm still really struggling with lingering nausea and reflux that gets worse in the afternoons/evenings just like when I was pregnant. I did expect it this time, but it still sucks. Fortunately I can actually eat though, and it's nothing nearly as intense as during the pregnancy, so I'm thankful for that.
Hope everyone else is doing ok too!?!
AnneCan
Opinionated HGer

Postby Hotbrass » Jul 31, 2012 3:59 pm

OH HURRAY FOR ANNE AND LEAH!
I've been thinking of you and had to check in. I'm so thankful that you got your vbac - you really did it lady! You worked very hard for that and I'm so proud of you! I completely agree with you that sleep depravation and the other challenges of caring for newborn plus the I just birthed a baby stuff - is cake after HG! Treasure every moment - it goes super fast! (My little Pearl is 14 lbs and will be 8 weeks on Friday) Enjoy eating and drinking again! I know you can't see me but I'm "high fiving" you! Hugs!
HGx4 - Long term dental issues and Esophageal Damage
Tank (19) Untreated! Fought Pre-E last 6 weeks
Angel (17) Untreated!
Cougar (10) 6 Zofran pills. Mild PPD
Pumpkin (4) Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, IV's, Zofran and you name it, I've probably tried it.
H.F.G. is in the arms of Jesus (Miscarriage at 3 months/I was 40) after 2 months in bed sick.
Hotbrass
Been There Done That

Postby CarliBear » Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm

i am so happy for you anne! you have been such an encouragement to me this whole time and it is amazing to see you rightfully rewarded for all of your hard work. i wish the very best for you and little leah!

severe HG from week 4- delivery at 38 weeks. countless IV's, four PICC lines, one portacath, 3 blood infections, eighteen ER visits, seven hospital admissions, so many medications, 24-7 fluids and zofran pump. born perfect on 7.28.12.
CarliBear
Been There Done That

Postby AnneCan » Aug 03, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks Hotbrass and carlibear! And hotbrass, I can't believe you baby is 8 weeks! Wow, it does go by fast!
AnneCan
Opinionated HGer

Postby Cin » Aug 08, 2012 12:49 pm

HOOOORRAAAYYYYYY!!!!! Congrats on being finally HG-free, and on the birth of your DD. How wonderful. :)
Mom to Alex, 12 -- NVP
Isaac, 10 -- NVP
Naomi, 8 -- HG
Edward, 4 -- avoided clinical HG through aggressive pre-emptive treatment and pure luck (aka medicated fluffy)
Cin
Forum Moderator

Postby AstronomyNut » Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Congratulations! That first meal after delivery is pretty amazing--I don't even know what mine was, I just ate it because yay no more nausea!
Due July 2013 -- Mild HG
AstronomyNut

Return to Birth Announcements